NielsS

Designing a GUI

Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi all,

First of all I'll introduce myself a bit since this is my first post on the forum. I'm Niels and at the moment student industrial design at the tu/e, in the netherlands. The goal for me on the forum is get familiar with the raspberry pi and exploring the possibilities. Next to this I will try to contribute to the community as much as possible, this contribution will mainly be on a more creative conceptual level and some hardware electronics instead of contributing to the technical aspects of software programming (not my expertise yet). As you probably already noticed I'm a newby when it comes to programming, but have some experience in arduino and electronic hardware development.

To get to the point; for a project, I'm currently working at an adaptive system which will be integrated in a cars' interior. In order for the driver to interact with the system I need to develop a GUI, though I'm not sure what language is suitable and meets to my requirements. The system is influenced by making use of physical buttons/triggers using the pi's gpio and the GUI needs to react to specific scenarios. Thereby, I'm a student of industrial design thus aesthetic freedom(appreciation) is quite important for me.

Could somebody make a few suggestions about the most suitable languages and libraries to meet the requirements? Preferably not to hard to learn in a relatively short time.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Niels

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Designing a GUI

Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Hoi Niels, ik zou ook een bericht posten in het "bare metal" forum, dat lijkt me de beste plek!

We hebben trouwens ook een Nederlandse sectie, mogelijk zie ik je daar nog!

ghans

Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 am

But getting a GUI running under Linux should be way easier.
There should be more toolkits available , too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Thaddy

Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I would suggest Lazarus to design the GUI. This is Object Pascal, but you could write your library code in plain C or use pipes to communicate with code in almost any language.
The main advantage is that Lazarus is mostly wysiwyg and very rich in widgets and bindings for most linux widget sets. It is also the only real two way (code and design - design and code) IDE I found for the Pi till date and the executables generate UIs that are very responsive on the Pi.

jwdietrich

Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Thaddy wrote:The main advantage is that Lazarus is mostly wysiwyg and very rich in widgets and bindings for most linux widget sets. It is also the only real two way (code and design - design and code) IDE I found for the Pi till date and the executables generate UIs that are very responsive on the Pi.
I agree, Lazarus is excellent.

pbreneman

Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Three minimal FPC and fpGUI distros were recently updated on this page:
http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm

The arm-linux release works on my RPi and might be the easiest way to see things work.

Return to “Graphics programming”