Anocs

Re: Howto: Pepper Flash Player for RPI2 with Chromium & Rasp

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 am

Just found latest PepperFlashPlayer binaries - version 21.0.0.182-r1. It's related with "Chromium OS For All SBC" project
http://www.chromiumosforsbc.org

Link to binaries can be found on this Reddit (point 14)
https://www.reddit.com/r/ChromiumRPI/co ... ile_error/

Installation as usual:
1. Copy *.so/*.json to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
2. Edit /etc/chromium-browser/default:
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=21.0.0.182-r1 -password-store=detect -user-data-dir"

JimBainter

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 pm

I had to make two changes to the instructions:
(1) I had to use the "J" option (not z) to untar the file with an extension ".xz".
(2) I had to replace all occurrences of "chromium" with "chromium-browser".

gkreidl

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 am

JimBainter wrote:I had to make two changes to the instructions:
(1) I had to use the "J" option (not z) to untar the file with an extension ".xz".
(2) I had to replace all occurrences of "chromium" with "chromium-browser".
This was originally written for the old chromium version on Wheezy.There is no chromium browser any more in Jessie, but you can install the Ubuntu version (Rpi 2/3 only).
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

siddy

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:47 am

Code: Select all

wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser rpi-youtube
that should install chromium on jessi and rpi-youtube

gkreidl

Re: Howto: Pepper Flash Player for Chromium-Browser

Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 am

I have updated the OP to get the latest pepper-flash-player and install it for current chromium-browser versions in a way that is kept across updates.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Ben_is_best

Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Does this work on Firefox from here?

cjan

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:15 am

flash-plugins, how to setup to play on 360p or lower ? seems defaults is 720p.

xymantec

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:40 pm

For those wondering about an HTML5 Application, I setup an ad network using a RPi 3, Chromium, jquery and html5 to create hybrid slideshows, it can display both images and videos, the videos will play ok at first but after a few minutes they'll get real choppy, it looks like chromium is burning about 85% of the CPU during video transitions and is possibly running out of video memory or has a memory leak. Kind of sucks considering it can play the same video natively without any lag or cutting but when running inside the browser it sucks... If you're doing image transitions you seem to have no problems. ftw I tried using other browsers (ff/iw/mi) instead of chromium but chromium had the best performance for video and images. Unless someone decides to create some kind of module to optimize html5 video playback through chromium I would call it a don't try it, unless of course, you're using only images in your ads.
Last edited by xymantec on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Ben_is_best wrote:Does this work on Firefox from here?
Definitely not, that it is why it is called PepperFlash for Chromium. :?
Retired disgracefully.....

quantomworks

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:10 am

Hey this is great. Is there anyway to get Stage3D working at all? I'm trying to make a game and test it. I can get the player to load but Stage3D wont start. It usually calls on whatever is available 3D wise..but I haven't had any luck getting WebGL on this machine. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, could anyone point me to a place where I can get adobe air for raspberry pi 3 on Raspbian? Im fine with running/testing this out through the normal player but I have to omit some code as some functions are only limited to Adobe AIR. (Plus, I really need that native install. Not meant to be a browser game)

Link to game: http://www.fastswf.com/6w5Qrl4
Chrome GPU

Code: Select all

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Flash: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Flash Stage3D: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Compositing: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Rasterization: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Video Encode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
WebGL: Unavailable
Driver Bug Workarounds
clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
count_all_in_varyings_packing
disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
use_virtualized_gl_contexts
Problems Detected
Accelerated 2d canvas is unstable in Linux at the moment
Disabled Features: accelerated_2d_canvas
Accelerated video decode is unavailable on Linux: 137247
Disabled Features: accelerated_video_decode
Disable VMware software renderer on older Mesa: 145531, 332596
Disabled Features: all
Clear uniforms before first program use on all platforms: 124764, 349137
Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
Mesa drivers in Linux handle varyings without static use incorrectly: 333885
Applied Workarounds: count_all_in_varyings_packing
Disable partial swaps on linux drivers: 339493
Applied Workarounds: disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
Always rewrite vec/mat constructors to be consistent: 398694
Applied Workarounds: scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
MakeCurrent is slow on Linux
Applied Workarounds: use_virtualized_gl_contexts

kusti8

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:14 pm

There is no Adobe Air for the Pi. There is experimental WebGL by turning on the OpenGL driver and disabling software rendering in Chrome://flags. But this is not perfect.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

quantomworks

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Looks like it found OpenGL after I hit enable for "Override software rendering list " under chrome://flags. Everything, however, was sluggish in chrome. Even if I was just launching the browser.. Opening a new tab, navigating to a page.. heck, the cursor in the address bar would only blink every 10 seconds :/

Hmm... is there, maybe, a standalone player I can use instead?

kusti8

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Did you enable the OpenGL driver in raspi-config?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:42 pm

its 22.0.0.209-r1, btw.

quantomworks

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 am

Heck yeah! That worked out. I though it was enabled by default since it detected it. (New to raspberry pi)

Optimization in time (learning a bit more about a different method in Away3D) but for now, I'm glad I could get it to run on this machine!

Interesting to note that if you start your rasperry pi at command line, you have to type in startx without being able to see it. The command line didn't render with opengl enabled for me.

klaiiii

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:17 am

I've been trying to update to the latest build. Is it 51.0.2704.91-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.7012? I still don't get the pepper flash player built in looking at the chrome://plugins. Did I update that incorrectly? I saw the file libpepflashplayer.so in the chromium folder, but no manifest.json file.

DNPNWO

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:37 pm

cjan wrote:its 22.0.0.209-r1, btw.
It is v23 now, and here is what i used to install/update to v23 Pepperflash in Chromium Browser (all versions).

I currently use Chromium Browser v50 (so I can do Fullscreen smooth720p Youtube playback without stuttering/stops/buffering. I am also slightly overclocked as well). I was on Pepperflash v21, and it was easy to update it to v23 (easy instructions- copy /paste).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X5T2 ... VmNmM/view

Fullscreen Image

Fullscreen Image

cjan

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 am

DNPNWO wrote:
cjan wrote:its 22.0.0.209-r1, btw.
It is v23 now, and here is what i used to install/update to v23 Pepperflash in Chromium Browser (all versions).

I currently use Chromium Browser v50 (so I can do Fullscreen smooth720p Youtube playback without stuttering/stops/buffering. I am also slightly overclocked as well). I was on Pepperflash v21, and it was easy to update it to v23 (easy instructions- copy /paste).
too late, Pixel chromium had V23 build in.

DNPNWO

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:34 am

cjan wrote: too late, Pixel chromium had V23 build in.
I do not use PIXEL, or even have it installed.

I use 'apt-mark hold lightdm plymouth raspberrypi-ui-mods rc-gui, and
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade', and for those who install Chromium browser via 'apt-get install chromium-browser', flash is not built in/functional either.

For those who also installed it via the old method, they wont have it either, or if they do, it is v21 (and can be updated).

PIXEL is something I plan to avoid like the plague.

raspberry pi reddit post quoted sums it up nicely-
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... pberry_pi/
PIXEL is not an OS it is an LXDE (desktop environment). A skin over the Raspbian/Debian Jessie OS on linux kernel 4.4.21.
PIXEL breaks OPENGL/WEBGL driver compatibility, It breaks Chromium Browser (try fullscreen 720p Youtube).
The PIXEL images are licensed for only 10 years use, and cannot be redistributed by a third party (that means you cannot also redistribute Rasbian/Debian Jessie if it contains the PIXEL images). Commercial entities are prohibited from using PIXEL (or redistributing the images in their product as well). By using/having the images, you indemnify the rights holder/agent, and you can be sued for improper use/redistribution.
Then there is this on the Linux reddit as well-

Raspbian's PIXEL desktop uses a non-free, non-redistributable background image by default, be aware if your using Raspbian or modifying it to give to others!
I think this is a bit of a shame, because it's further evidence that the Pi Foundation people aren't really well embedded in the F/OSS community they build upon. I read the blog post that unveiled the PIXEL desktop and thought "that looks pretty good". It wasn't clear in that post that the backgrounds (which were talked about, the primary designer got them from one of the other Foundation staffers) would be licensed non-free. I was thinking of looking at packaging the theme for Debian, alas, I would have to strip the wallpapers if I do.
Yeah, it is quite sad that the people who volunteer/work for the Pi Foundation aren't embedded in the FOSS community, but I see why. The prime person behind the PIXEL desktop was a Windows guy prior to working on that project, and a few of the founders of the Pi Foundation were Broadcom employees, hence the choice of chipset and the surrounding issues with having a closed source stack to even boot the board.
FOSS has been an afterthought throughout the project, which has hampered usability and started the community surrounding the Pi off on the wrong foot in terms of FOSS as a concept. IMO its also hampered students from using the Pi, but I only have anecdotal evidence to back that assertion up

gkreidl

Re: Howto: Flash support for most browsers (RPi 2/3)

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:36 am

I have renamed and rewritten the OP to support Flash for most browsers (except for epiphany and kweb3).

Gadgetguy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am

gkreidl wrote:I have renamed and rewritten the OP to support Flash for most browsers (except for epiphany and kweb3).

Today I installed your freshplayer plugin/wrapper and tried it out in kweb and firefox. (I had used it successfully a long time ago in ubuntu mate for raspberry). I tried it on a couple of sites eg http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video . In both browsers it successfully played audio and closed captions but no video was displayed. I tried increasing gpu split to 160 and still no go. Finally I changed config to enable_xrender = 0 and still no video. Suggestions?

You may find of interest my post at :

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=180278

Solved: register& use correct adobe flash version

It appears the appropriate changes to configuration files are not at present made automatically when the package rpi-chromium-mods is updated

zermok

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 am

I will never understand why today flash is banned from mobile device. millions of websites
does not have time and money to reprogram everything for the sake of html5 fascists. the web must embrace any kind of technology as long as millions of people and companies already use it for long term. some guys still spit on flash but hey, it was the tech pioneer in audio/video communication on internet and far away in advance even today on all the javascript crap.
so I suspect that soon pepper flash will finally fill the stupid steve jobs hole that blocked millions websites to be viewed on mobile devices.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:03 pm

zermok wrote:I will never understand why today flash is banned from mobile device. millions of websites
does not have time and money to reprogram everything for the sake of html5 fascists. the web must embrace any kind of technology as long as millions of people and companies already use it for long term. some guys still spit on flash but hey, it was the tech pioneer in audio/video communication on internet and far away in advance even today on all the javascript crap.
so I suspect that soon pepper flash will finally fill the stupid steve jobs hole that blocked millions websites to be viewed on mobile devices.
Nice off-topic rant, Apple banned Flash Support because it is nigh impossible to plug the security holes Adobe Flash and PepperFlash have, HTML5 Video will replace Flash eventually, just takes time to ensure that it is fit for purpose.

This is the most recent Flash Security Bulletin:

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/produc ... 17-10.html
Retired disgracefully.....

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 pm

zermok wrote:html5 fascists.
Don't use words that you obviously don't know the meaning of.
It will only earn you negative karma points and strikethroughs.
Steve Jobs decision was brave and right, you cannot have a tablet while having Adobe's flash running on it, its a security nightmare, and its not easy to re-install an OS on a tablet, and you would need to do so often when Flash is on board!

I think you potentially are a Troll, we'll see.....

Gadgetguy

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:19 am

In a recent post in this thread I had noted that my experience with this plugin was: sound=yes;video=no .The following paragraphs explain how I got video to display using pepperflash via freshplayer plugin.

Firsly I did find that if when using either firefox or kweb you navigate
to the adobe flash help page ie.

https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

it will inform you that you do indeed have the
most recent version of flash installed.
But if you try to actually play video using this plugin you will hear audio
but video will not display. However if you make a change to the configuration file
referred to in the first post namely: /home/pi/.config/freshwrapper.conf then video will display.The change required is to enable 3d by changing the following variable from =0 to =1

enable_3d = 1.

If you go the plugin developer's page at:

https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerp ... -issues.md

you will see he describes the issue in the paragraph:

" Black screen with sound only "

However while video displays after enabling 3d it is incredibly slow and laggy,

almost like a slideshow and with av synch problems.

Navigation to the developers issues page:

" Now Flash videos are a pain very very slow #327 " at:

https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin/issues/327

The Developer makes the following observation:

" Since high CPU usage (and therefore stuttering) may be caused by running 3d operations in
software mode, it's worth to try to disable 3d completely.

That could be done by adding enable_3d = 0 line to ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf file,
and then restarting a browser.

PepperFlash from ChromeOS seems to require 3d to show any visual at all, so you have to use
desktop version of PepperFlash to try this."

For me when using the flash plugin with firefox the plugin container seems to use
about 30 to 45 percent cpu on my pi 3

However I should also point out that on my pi 3 when using chromium browser the flash
plugin works very smoothly with good av synch. Using google search with the following search criteria elicits some interesting and perhaps pertinent results : adobe flash javascript slow video

Return to “Raspbian”