Redrobes

Raspian images from mirrors.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Does anyone have a list of mirror URLs for the latest raspian images.

To be clear this is not the raspian repositories but the SD card images. The 1Gb zips or the 3Gb IMG files ?

I know they are available from raspberrypi.org but that is not what I am asking about. If the normal downloads page is unavailable for some reason where could I get a similar copy ?

Thanks

elatllat

Re: Raspian images from mirrors.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Bittorrent
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

B.Goode

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Perhaps someone from the Raspberry Pi Foundation (or their web hosting provider, Mythic Beasts) could give you an authoritative statement, but it looks to me as though the 'normal downloads page' is already load-balanced across at least 4 distinct IP addresses. I would be inclined to assume that RPF and Mythic Beasts are smart enough to have spread the risk across multiple network paths and servers.

Although I'm not paranoid about not being able to download, my normal practice in any case is to 'cache' the latest NOOBS and Raspbian releases on my own hard drive for convenience soon after they become available, so not having access to the RPF versions for a day or so wouldn't trouble me greatly.

Perhaps if you explained the underlying reason for your concern it would be easier to give a focussed response to it: I can see this has been bugging you for a couple of weeks now.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Redrobes wrote:If the normal downloads page is unavailable for some reason where could I get a similar copy ?
Is it a real problem? Did the recent http://RaspberryPi.org outage at 16:24 on Friday Oct 10th really cause you a major problem? Are you downloading Raspbian images every ten minutes of the day?

No, didn't think so.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:12 pm

DougieLawson wrote:No, didn't think so.
Apparently enough of a problem to post twice about it (although there weren't many replies that time) http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=88481

DirkS

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm

rpdom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:No, didn't think so.
Apparently enough of a problem to post twice about it (although there weren't many replies that time) http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=88481
I actually reported this one as a duplicate a couple of hours ago :shock:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 pm

deleted it as a duplicate.

Redrobes

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:38 pm

No I havent had an issue with the downloads page and I did ask this question at the end of a different question which was related but not the same.

Still, after all of this nobody has yet posted an answer. So I take it there are no mirrored copies of the images through a source other than a) torrent or b) the foundations web page.

I was not aware that there was a web site outage on Friday but the fact that it can happen is surely cause for issue. I like the fact that you asked the question and then answered it for me. Suave.

I can buy a board from RS, Farnell and Amazon amongst a host of many many suppliers but there is only one source URL to download an image for it. That does concern me when I am thinking about buying many of these boards for a project. I keep a personal set of historical images as I keep a historical set of many apps and downloads. Thats ok for historical stuff but no good for updates. So I would like to know if there are sets of people with good uptime who could be relied upon to host the images.

So I take it then from this hostile set of responses (excepting b goode - thanks) to a really valid question that the answer is a no.

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:15 am

It's a non-problem.

The absolute worst case is that it goes down on a Friday afternoon and doesn't come back before Monday.

But, taking last week's outage as an example, the folks at Mythic Beasts identified the cause (DDoS from Latin America) and fixed it in under an hour.

If you can't accept a short outage from the free website from a charity then the RPi may not be the hardware for you. Go to Lenovo or Dell and pay big $$$$$s for their expensive hardware with an expensive 24*365 support contract.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation appear to have a good, strong, reliable service from their hosting provider backed with an effective service level agreement.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Redrobes

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 am

The raspi foundation does appear to have a great service provider and is doing a fantastic job at hosting all the tools, images and repos for the board - not to mention having a working forum.

Your right - its probably a non - issue.

Its just that storage is cheap and the repos are already mirrored so it seemed logical that the images should be too. It might be that the site is all up and good but I am not able to see it from my ISP due to some routing error. Or it could be that a bizarre problem arises with the latest image and some USB hardware driver and I need to go back a few versions to get it fixed. So a mirror with historical images would be ideal.

I'm not gonna get out a soap box and parade about this. I was just looking for the answer to whether they exist or not and whether I was missing the links to them. I think I will make a point of grabbing an image just now and again - maybe once per quarter - just to have something moderately recent in case I need it.

Return to “Raspbian”