BrendonShaw

Open electronics raspberry pi sim908 problems

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:58 am

I have recently purchased the open electronics raspberry gsm/gps sim908 module and having problems getting it to work. On initial debug it looks like there is no serial tx from the module, but the hardware looks find and there is nothing complex on the interface board.

The odd thing in a terminal screen (minicom) I cannot send or receive any AT commands, indicating there is a problem with the communication to the sim908 module. So looking at some more loop back tests and ordered a serial cable to hook up to a PC, to see the serial comms and then some more scope time with the Rx & Tx lines.

It all looks too simple and just looking for anyone else that might have experience with this GSM/GPS module.

https://store.open-electronics.org/inde ... _Raspberry

Many thanks

atomy

Re: Open electronics raspberry pi sim908 problems

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 pm

BrendonShaw wrote:I have recently purchased the open electronics raspberry gsm/gps sim908 module and having problems getting it to work. On initial debug it looks like there is no serial tx from the module, but the hardware looks find and there is nothing complex on the interface board.

The odd thing in a terminal screen (minicom) I cannot send or receive any AT commands, indicating there is a problem with the communication to the sim908 module. So looking at some more loop back tests and ordered a serial cable to hook up to a PC, to see the serial comms and then some more scope time with the Rx & Tx lines.

It all looks too simple and just looking for anyone else that might have experience with this GSM/GPS module.

https://store.open-electronics.org/inde ... _Raspberry

Many thanks
Hi BrendonShaw,

I know that it may be a bit late, but I am having the same problem right now, with also the same device, I would know if you fixed this problem and how.

I am trying with a serial communication and using python, but I found no way to stablish a communication with it, I just trying an easy command as "ATI" just to know about the model and be sure that it is answering me correctly.

Thanks in advance.

BrendonShaw

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:24 pm

I found the problem to be the power supply,I switch to a 6v 3amp PSU and everything worked okay. I used the test scripts from the web site and got it texting okay.

Let me know if I can be any more help

carloab

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello Brendan,

I too am looking to purchasing the same module for a project I have in mind. How are you getting on with it? Any help would be welcome.

Regards

Carlo
Carlo

Return to “Raspbian”