BrendonShaw

RPi B+ USB WiFi problem

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 pm

I have been using RPi for over year, so I know setting up and USB wifi works okay. I have a new RPi B+ but cannot setup the USB WiFi and wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

I have the latest Debian Wheezy version (uname -a)
"Linux raspberrypi 3.12.24+ #694 PREEMPT Tue Jul 15 17:34:35 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux"

setup/steps
1. The RPi B+ cabled Ethernet is plugged in with USB WiFi
2. Power up & ssh into the RPi B+
3. Run the update " sudo rpi-update"
4. Reboot
5. Install VNC and remote login in to setup WiFi via the wifi_gui
6. Some times I can see the WiFi card and WiFi network, connect to the WiFi network. But, on boot RPi B+ will not connect to the network.
7. Now I cannot even see the WiFI card in the wifi_gui

I have tried USB WiFI from old RPi which work, so it's not an USB WiFi problem

Any one have the same problems or just me being silly?

BrendonShaw

Re: RPi B+ USB WiFi problem

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 pm

As an updated, I re-imaged the O/S and ran though all the setup & updates and now can setup & maintain the wifi connection.

Might just be me, but it seems really slow response via SSH and it's dump me out twice in SSH.

baker195

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi, I too have have the same issue with not one but two of my B+ ...I thought it was me...user error thing..because raspberry pi b wifi worked...
so I tested my theory of wifi works in b will it work in b+ ...nope neither b+ saw the wifi edimax...tried both with gui and command line...so...tried installing on raspberry b ... BINGO worked on gui and command line.

Perhaps, there is a software patch or something to help???

SC

mikronauts

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 am

Are you using a known-good 2A 5V power supply?

Has that wifi stick worked for you on a regular model B?

Is it listed as compatible at http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters ?

FYI, I have used four different WiFi sticks with a B+ without any problems (Netis WF-2111, Patriot PCBOWAU2-N, LEGUANG LG-N18, RetailPlus+ WL-6203) for details including kernel messages, see:

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... ifi-tests/
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Jessie

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 am

I've never had luck with USB Wifi and any Linux box. The driver support and overall wifi implementation is just bad. In any case would you mind telling us which wifi stick you are using?

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 am

Please post the output from running lsusb and uname -a on your model B with the USB WiFi adapter connected to your network. Is it the same as the output from uname -a on your model B+?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

SuperDave156

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I have just bought 2 Model B+s from RS. They arrived today and neither of them work.
The first problem was that they both appeared to be dead on arrival. Nothing appeared on my monitor.
I have a shield with indication LEDs and the program that drives them auto starts on boot. The LEDs started flashing but the one that indicates that wifi is connected was off. So the thing is running but there's no screen output, wifi or keyboard.
I reconnected my trusty Model A and with exactly the same hardware and SD card it fired up correctly.

Next I modified the config.txt uncommenting
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
and that got the screen to display.

I tried various USB configurations.
My standard one is a PiHut powered 7 port hub with PiHut Wifi and Logitech wireless keyboard.
This works perfectly on all 9 of my Model As and my 4 model Bs.

I tried with no keyboard and just the PiHut wifi directly in a B+ USB port. The wifi LED on my shield did not light.

I tried with no keyboard, no monitor and just the PiHut wifi directly in a B+ USB port. Again no wifi. It can't be more simple so I have to conclude that either the USB is faulty or it needs more than my 2 amp Maplin power supply can provide (unlikely).

I can't think what else to do...
Other than bake them in the oven. 4 of my Model As needed baking to fix their faulty USBs.

Any ideas?

Postscript:
Problem solved! I should have read the above post more carefully.
The fix is to run
sudo rpi-update

Thanks BrendonShaw and Dirk, David
Last edited by SuperDave156 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirkS

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 pm

So no USB or Ethernet on a B+?
First check is the version of your distro. Especially the firmware is important because the chip for USB / Lan got updated and needs newer firmware.
If you're using an SD Card you used in your old Pi then make sure you update / upgrade it on that Pi before using it in the B+.

Gr.
Dirk.

rglaap

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:38 am

I have gotten my Pi B+ last tuesday. Spent tuesday nite, wednesnite and thursday nite, trying to set it up using a RASPBMC dowlaoad straight from raspberrypi.org site. I am no stranger to the command prompt (from the old DOS times) but I am new to Linux. Got Raspbmc to work, set up the system, managed to attach it to my media files - except for one thing: getting Wifi to work. I bought an edimax stick, recommended by the vendor. i had searched the internet lo and behold for answers and it appeared to me that hundreds of people are having similar problems.

yesterday, i was sick and tired of the thing and about to send it back - when it occured to me to try a different distributed. Downloaded OpenElec, installed it - alas, after 20 minutes the thing was up and running. including wifi. easily to be modified on the TV-screenw withour further ado. Downlaoded the remote control app. worked. enabled CEC on my not so smart TV - and now control the raspberry with my TV remote.

way cool.

my recommendation: use OpenElec. worked for me right out of the box!

mikronauts

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 pm

re/ Model B+

Your symptoms sound like you are trying to boot an older /boot.

Make sure you have the latest image from raspberrypi.org

Due to the change in LAN/USB controller, new firmware is needed.

If you want to use an existing raspbian installation, the following may be enough (must do this on a regular model A / B before using the card on a B+):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You should back up your SD card before upgrading it, just in case anything goes wonky.

One quick way to check if your B+ is OK is to install the NOOBS network install (must be latest version) on an 8GB card, and let it install Raspbian to itself, and it should work.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

SuperDave156

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks Micronauts,
I've done all that now and both my B+s are working well. I am optimistic that this latest firmware will prove to be more robust, particularly on the wifi reliability. It's all good so far.
Thanks.

mikronauts

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 pm

You are most welcome!

Glad to hear your B+'s are working well.
SuperDave156 wrote:Thanks Micronauts,
I've done all that now and both my B+s are working well. I am optimistic that this latest firmware will prove to be more robust, particularly on the wifi reliability. It's all good so far.
Thanks.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:25 am

SuperDave156 wrote:Thanks Micronauts,
Thanks.
it all depends on the chipset inside the wifi adapter, for some chips, there is good driver software, for others none or only bad drivers. Some manufacturers simply do not open source their drivers, and only support windows/mac.

Return to “Raspbian”