wolfen69

Installing flash possible?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:04 am

Trust me when I say I've tried everything I could find about getting flash to work in any browser in raspbian. I'm at my wits end now, and would like to know if it's even possible. Thanks.

karlkiste

Re: Installing flash possible?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:50 am

To my knowledge, the original adobe flash player is discontinued, no new versions can be expected. There's a linux version, but afaik only for intel platform.

Therefore, I think you are right: No chance for flash, at least not from adobe.

You could try gnash or swfdec or something.

redhawk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:04 am

Installing flash on the Pi is not possible because it doesn't exist, if you want to watch online videos like YouTube then you're better off using XBMC (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, Xbian) as an alternative.

Richard S.

wolfen69

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. But I wanted to watch streaming videos in a web browser that aren't available using xbmc. I guess I'll just have to run my laptop's video out to the tv. Oh well, sigh.

russisgood

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:07 pm

redhawk wrote:Installing flash on the Pi is not possible because it doesn't exist, if you want to watch online videos like YouTube then you're better off using XBMC (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, Xbian) as an alternative.

Richard S.
How do you this exactly so you can watch youtube videos?

Thanks,
Russ

wolfen69

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 pm

russisgood wrote:
redhawk wrote:Installing flash on the Pi is not possible because it doesn't exist, if you want to watch online videos like YouTube then you're better off using XBMC (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, Xbian) as an alternative.

Richard S.
How do you this exactly so you can watch youtube videos?

Thanks,
Russ
You have to use the Youtube app in XBMC. Apparently, getting a browser to use flash is impossible right now. Perhaps Google will someday make a Chrome browser for ARM. (fingers crossed)

confuseling

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Or more likely, flash will be buried in an unmarked grave somewhere in the danker corners of usenet...

OP: there are various Firefox plugins that work around flash, and they should work with comparable versions of Iceweasel. Have a google for "firefox video without flash" or something.
http://forums.debian.net

Joe Schmoe

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:45 pm

there are various Firefox plugins that work around flash
The problem with those kinds of approaches is that they only work (if they work at all) in certain, specified cases. E.g., you might find a way to play some YouTube vids (presumably, the HTML5 ones), but it won't be a general solution. It won't handle the basic problem of there being a lot of "Needs Flash" stuff out there on the web (stuff other than YouTube vids).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

confuseling

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:49 pm

True, which is part of the reason why flash needs to be buried in a dank corner of usenet... :)
http://forums.debian.net

redhawk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 pm

The Pi is pretty much useless without hardware assisted video decoding the ARMv6 CPU lacks horse power to decode video data streams in real time nor can it handle flash applets in a timely fashion.
Only programs with built-in hardware codec support such as XBMC, omxplayer (and VLC compiled with openmax support) can play videos on the Pi the rest would simple choke and die.
Unless the Pi gets a makeover like an ARMv7 1.2GHZ dualcore processor you haven't got a hells chance of watching YouTube videos at full fps inside a browser window.

Richard S.

Return to “Raspbian”