gkreidl

Buster Upgrade for kweb

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 am

The kweb suite can now also be used on Raspbian Buster. This requires two steps.

1) Install kweb 1.7.9.8 as described in the OP of this thread

2) Download and install the partial Buster Upgrade:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb_upgrade_buster_20190823.tar.gz
tar -xzf kweb_upgrade_buster_20190823.tar.gz
cd kweb_upgrade_buster_20190823
./install
This will install a new version of omxplayerGUI and some other tools. You will find more information about the updates in this post:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1456860 (But you should not download the upgrade from this post, as it is not compatible with Buster).

The Upgrade will also install gksu from Stretch packages, because kweb requires gksudo which is not available in Buster any more.

Special Notes:
omxplayer disables all kinds of OSD (subtitles, Position display etc.) on the RPi 4 and on older RPis, if you enable one of the KMS drivers. Of course omxplayerGUI will also be affected by this.

On the RPi 4B, the additional HW codecs (MPEG2 etc.) are not available any more. omplayer(GUI) won't be able to play video files or streams using one of these codecs.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Pearl.852

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks for the Buster Upgrade for kweb. Really appreciate for your time and efforts.

I have tested on my RPi-3B and like to report a problem with the OMXplayerGUI frontend 1.7.9.9-otr. When playing a Youtube link, the video always ended about 5~7 seconds too soon. I have tried on 3 separate youtube videos. Please check.

Same problem occurs when click "Play" to play the Youtube video within the kweb browser as well.

Pearl.852

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 am

After using my new RPi-4B-4GB for a few day, I would like to report some discrepancy with previous version as follows,
1) While playing video in full screen, the mouse pointer does not turn off after a few seconds.
2) When pausing, skip forward or skip backward a video, the current position timestamp does not appears.

gkreidl

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:27 am

Pearl.852 wrote:
I have tested on my RPi-3B and like to report a problem with the OMXplayerGUI frontend 1.7.9.9-otr. When playing a Youtube link, the video always ended about 5~7 seconds too soon. I have tried on 3 separate youtube videos. Please check.

Same problem occurs when click "Play" to play the Youtube video within the kweb browser as well.

After using my new RPi-4B-4GB for a few day, I would like to report some discrepancy with previous version as follows,
1) While playing video in full screen, the mouse pointer does not turn off after a few seconds.
2) When pausing, skip forward or skip backward a video, the current position timestamp does not appears.
1) I cannot test the Buster version on a RPi 3B right now, because my only Buster system is running on a RPi 4B at the moment. On the RPi 4 all youtube videos ran to the end without any problem. I may be able to test it in a few days on a RPi 2B.

2) RPi 4B, Mouse
The mouse seems to be running in a separate HW layer now (with the 3D driver at least), so it will be shown on top of the video layer. I never disabled the mouse in the past, it was simply not visible on top of the video.

3) RPi 4B, OSD
All omxplayer OSD functions are disabled on the RPi 4B right now. There is no easy solution as you can see in this discussion: https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/717
I hope there will be a solution in the future.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Pearl.852

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:27 am
Pearl.852 wrote:

1) I cannot test the Buster version on a RPi 3B right now, because my only Buster system is running on a RPi 4B at the moment. On the RPi 4 all youtube videos ran to the end without any problem. I may be able to test it in a few days on a RPi 2B.

2) RPi 4B, Mouse
The mouse seems to be running in a separate HW layer now (with the 3D driver at least), so it will be shown on top of the video layer. I never disabled the mouse in the past, it was simply not visible on top of the video.

3) RPi 4B, OSD
All omxplayer OSD functions are disabled on the RPi 4B right now. There is no easy solution as you can see in this discussion: https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/717
I hope there will be a solution in the future.
Regarding 1) the video playback cut short at the end, I have just tested on my RPi-3B and RPi-2B using the same SD card with Raspbian Buster installed. The results this time are the youtube videos played all the way to the end without any problem. The only differences since my tests made on Sept.01 were that, I have upgraded the youtube-dl from version 2019.9.1 --> 2019.9.12.1 last week when I received my new RPi-4B.

So, never mind about the youtube video playback ended short issue. Thanks.

kolsi

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 am

We're trying to migrate from chromium to kweb on Raspberry Pi B. But we notice that it does not support CSS property "display: flex". Is there some workaround for it?

We need this <div class="row">:

.row {
  display: flex;
  flex-wrap: wrap;
}

gkreidl

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm

kolsi wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 am
We're trying to migrate from chromium to kweb on Raspberry Pi B. But we notice that it does not support CSS property "display: flex". Is there some workaround for it?

We need this <div class="row">:

.row {
  display: flex;
  flex-wrap: wrap;
}
kweb usus the old webkit engine, which has some limits and is not developped any more. Migrating to webkit2 is planned, but unfortunately the API has changed a lot and misses some of the callbacks which are vital for kweb. Finding workarounds is not easy and I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish it.

kolsi

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Thank you for the information. We've redesigned our website not to use "flex" and now it renders properly in kweb.

It is the only browser that seems to be usable on old Raspberry Pi B. Chromium creates many processes, eats all RAM and takes 100% CPU all the time. Even simple C++ wxWidgets app based on GTK+3 and WebKit2 engine creates webkitwebprocess that eats 100% CPU all the time. Kweb eats 162 MB RAM only and CPU is 0% most of the time (sometimes jumps to 20%, probably because of the simple animation on the website).

BrotherPrime

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:28 am

Hi,

First I wanted to say thank you for your long-term support of this project, it has been incredibly helpful for my kiosk/signage projects for a long time now. It is very much appreciated.

I've run into a bit of a hiccup when trying to load a particular webpage when it's set to full-featured browser mode.

http://decalmedia-test.herokuapp.com/

It seems to work ok in Chromium/Midori (albeit fairly slowly) but is only showing a black screen on Kweb with JavaScript enabled.

Would you be able to shed some light onto what could be the cause or point me in the direction of a log tool within the browser?

Cheers,
Chris

gkreidl

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:03 pm

BrotherPrime wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:28 am
Hi,

First I wanted to say thank you for your long-term support of this project, it has been incredibly helpful for my kiosk/signage projects for a long time now. It is very much appreciated.

I've run into a bit of a hiccup when trying to load a particular webpage when it's set to full-featured browser mode.

http://decalmedia-test.herokuapp.com/

It seems to work ok in Chromium/Midori (albeit fairly slowly) but is only showing a black screen on Kweb with JavaScript enabled.

Would you be able to shed some light onto what could be the cause or point me in the direction of a log tool within the browser?

Cheers,
Chris
console message: http://decalmedia-test.herokuapp.com/vendor.js @55877: TypeError: undefined is not a function (evaluating 'new Array(HEADER_OFFSET).fill(null)')

Anomunus

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:49 am

Hi, I'm having trouble accessing the youtube-dl seever page (http://localhost:9192), whenever I try it just gives me ERR: Connection refused.
I am able to get omxplayergui to play videos, and even a giant 1000 song playlist, from kweb though, so doesn't that mean the yt-dl server is running..?
But when i try wget --verbose localhost:9192 it also shows the connection being refused. I also tried sudo netstat -tlnp which is only showing VNC and SSH being the only ports open.

What can I do to make this work? I want to use youtube-dl server so that i can shuffle my youtube playlists that are being played by omxplayer since it cant shuffle itself and also starting a play of the list in kweb doesnt result in a shuffled list. If it's not going to work I may as well just go back to Chromecasting my YT from my phone since i cant shuffle there either.

gkreidl

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:23 am

Anomunus wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:49 am
Hi, I'm having trouble accessing the youtube-dl seever page (http://localhost:9192), whenever I try it just gives me ERR: Connection refused.
I am able to get omxplayergui to play videos, and even a giant 1000 song playlist, from kweb though, so doesn't that mean the yt-dl server is running..?
But when i try wget --verbose localhost:9192 it also shows the connection being refused. I also tried sudo netstat -tlnp which is only showing VNC and SSH being the only ports open.

What can I do to make this work? I want to use youtube-dl server so that i can shuffle my youtube playlists that are being played by omxplayer since it cant shuffle itself and also starting a play of the list in kweb doesnt result in a shuffled list. If it's not going to work I may as well just go back to Chromecasting my YT from my phone since i cant shuffle there either.
The ytdl-server can be started in different ways:
1) from thecommand line of a terminal:
ytdl_server.py [options]
It should run in the terminal and show connections. This method is also good for testing.
2) To run it in the background you can use:
bgstart_ytdl_server.sh [options]
This can used for auto-starting the server. It doesn't print anything to the terminal (if invoked from there)
3) If you start the omxplayerGUI frontend, the server is started in the bakcground (if it is not already running). If you clode the frontend, the server is stopped again. In this mode, using the server for VLC is not possible.

Anomunus

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am

gkreidl wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:23 am
The ytdl-server can be started in different ways:
1) from thecommand line of a terminal:
ytdl_server.py [options]
It should run in the terminal and show connections. This method is also good for testing.
2) To run it in the background you can use:
bgstart_ytdl_server.sh [options]
This can used for auto-starting the server. It doesn't print anything to the terminal (if invoked from there)
3) If you start the omxplayerGUI frontend, the server is started in the bakcground (if it is not already running). If you clode the frontend, the server is stopped again. In this mode, using the server for VLC is not possible.
Ohhh it's a python script. Okay, I got it to work but only by changing directory to where ytdl_server.py is located, and making it run in python2 instead of python3 which I have installed. Odd, but ah well at least it works. Thank you!

(also realized that ytdl_server doesn't let me shuffle a YT playlist, whoops)

MiamiRedFish

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi Pi Pundits, I am currently using chromium-browser on Pi3 well to display weather information etc. However, I notice that chromium-browser consumes a lot of CPU and Memory. Instead, I installed the latest kweb browser and trying it out. The browser looks good and consumes lesser resources. However, I am having tough time figuring out how to pass URL GET parameters:
For example:
kweb -KAJBHq 'http://120.0.0.1/test.html?msg=This is a test

kweb displays: This

If I don't enable JavaScript, obviously it won't display any parameter.
kweb -KAJBHq 'http://120.0.0.1/test.html?msg=This%20is%20a%20test

If I put %20 in the spaces,
kweb displays: This is a test

But chromium-browser is not like that. It correctly handles the URL parameters. I read the kweb user manual and it did not show any examples in it on how to?
Also, how can you send zoom?
kweb -KAJ-+z? And how to specify the zoom number?

Thanks much for your attention.

gkreidl

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:16 am

MiamiRedFish wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:36 pm
Hi Pi Pundits, I am currently using chromium-browser on Pi3 well to display weather information etc. However, I notice that chromium-browser consumes a lot of CPU and Memory. Instead, I installed the latest kweb browser and trying it out. The browser looks good and consumes lesser resources. However, I am having tough time figuring out how to pass URL GET parameters:
For example:
kweb -KAJBHq 'http://120.0.0.1/test.html?msg=This is a test

kweb displays: This

If I don't enable JavaScript, obviously it won't display any parameter.

If I put %20 in the spaces,
kweb displays: This is a test

But chromium-browser is not like that. It correctly handles the URL parameters. I read the kweb user manual and it did not show any examples in it on how to?
Also, how can you send zoom?
kweb -KAJ-+z? And how to specify the zoom number?

Thanks much for your attention.
Kweb takes up to 2 command line arguments: a confoguration string and a URL. The URL must be exactly as in a link. If the URL contains characters which are not allowed in a shell, it must be quoted.

The command string (and the URL) can also be taken from a configuration file. You can create it from kweb's Configuration page.

Note that it is not required, to add the list of keyboard controls to the configuration string, but if you do, the list of keyboard controls is reduced to the given chracters. By default all keyboard commands are enabled.

Setting the zoom from the command string is not possible. But you can create a kwebautoconfig page, which will be loaded first and forward to your start page. Use kweb's editor page to create it (lower part).

MiamiRedFish

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank you for your reply. I re-read the manual and my understanding is:
kweb [options] [url]

You are saying that the configuration file can be edited and saved as “Presets”. So, for example if I need a zoom of 150% I can set that in the config file. Do you know where the config file resides?

Also, you are saying, you can do:
kweb -KAJBHq 'http://120.0.0.1/test.html?msg="This is a test"
instead of this:

An example would help of the config file and the url. Thanks again.

gkreidl

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:52 am

MiamiRedFish wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 pm
Thank you for your reply. I re-read the manual and my understanding is:
kweb [options] [url]

You are saying that the configuration file can be edited and saved as “Presets”. So, for example if I need a zoom of 150% I can set that in the config file. Do you know where the config file resides?

Also, you are saying, you can do:
kweb -KAJBHq 'http://120.0.0.1/test.html?msg="This is a test"
instead of this:

An example would help of the config file and the url. Thanks again.
The config file is created from the Configuration page. You should not create it manually. It may contain a configuration string and a URL, exactly as from the command line. It does NOT contend any zoom setting (except enabling global zoom).

The only way to set a zoom value at start, is by using the "autoconfig" option from the keyboard command editor (on kweb's Editor page). Select "autoconfig" in the keyboard editor, add the following to the first line:
?+++++
(this will set the zoom to 150%)
and click the save button.

acavalin

google maps - unsupported browser

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 am

Hello gkreidl and thank you a lot for the light and fast kweb :)

Until a month ago maps.google.com was working on kweb but suddenly it redirects to an "unsupported browser" page :(

I already tried a user agent change to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.75 Safari/537.36" to no avail :cry:

I think the website check for engine capabilities and kweb misses some of them... should I wait for the webkit2 migration?

Kweb is the only browser where google maps is usable, chromium is too slow even on the RPI4 with 4GB ram :shock:

Thank you

gkreidl

Re: google maps - unsupported browser

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am

acavalin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 am
Hello gkreidl and thank you a lot for the light and fast kweb :)

Until a month ago maps.google.com was working on kweb but suddenly it redirects to an "unsupported browser" page :(

I already tried a user agent change to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.75 Safari/537.36" to no avail :cry:

I think the website check for engine capabilities and kweb misses some of them... should I wait for the webkit2 migration?

Kweb is the only browser where google maps is usable, chromium is too slow even on the RPI4 with 4GB ram :shock:

Thank you
I tested it with latest vivaldi and it works. Then I entered the vivaldi user agent string into kweb and it didn't work. It's not the user agent which causes the problem, it must be something else.

acavalin

Re: google maps - unsupported browser

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am
I tested it with latest vivaldi and it works. Then I entered the vivaldi user agent string into kweb and it didn't work. It's not the user agent which causes the problem, it must be something else.
Google maps with Vivaldi works the same as with Chromium but it is too slow at panning/searching... it is not quite usable in its current state (my wife keeps complaining at me :roll: ), with Kweb instead it used to work like a charm :(

I didn't know Vivaldi, thank you for the tip ;)

Pearl.852

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 am

@gkreidl, thanks for you great work on the project.

Question: Is there a setting to keep the last window position of OmxplayerGUI Frontend when it launch the next time? Currently, it seems to launch at the lower left corner on the desktop as default priority, then top left, lower right, top right, and so on. I personally prefer the frontend opens each time at a particular position on the desktop. Thanks in advance

p.s. I am running raspbian buster on a Pi-4B-4GB.

Return to “Raspbian”