df1paw

Latest Iceweasel

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi.
I would like to use the latest Iceweasel in raspbian. Is there something like an experimental repository I might enable for this?

Regards,
Andreas

malakai

Re: Latest Iceweasel

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/armhf ... l/download I don't know what will happen if you do it but it doesn't seem much newer than that. It is Debian and an ARM Hard Float package.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Installing binary packages from debian armhf on a raspberry pi running raspbian WILL NOT WORK AND MAY CAUSE SEVERE BREAKAGE. don't do it.

The version of iceweasel in raspbian is currently the same as in debian wheezy and sid.

If you want to try a newer version you will have to get the source and build it yourself. However the version currently in experimental is failing to build for armel and armhf so it will probablly fail for raspbian too. Also building iceweasel is pretty resource intensive and I suspect a Pi will struggle to do it (the last version to build successfully for debian armhf took 20 hours to build on an imx53 quickstart board which has a better CPU and more memory than a Pi).

malakai

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks plugwash for clarifying getting to the end of my twelve hour shift. Now that the cat is out of the bag you build your packages on a beefier board your gonna get flooded with requests. Would you be able to say why the Debian armhf packages won't work. Are they for the newer Arm processors? I think I just answered myself though.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:55 pm

malakai wrote:Now that the cat is out of the bag you build your packages on a beefier board
Anyone who followed the creation of raspbian (see the locked and stickied thread for the gory details) would already know that both debian armhf and raspbian currently use freescale iMX53 quickstart boards for autobuilders (though we are considering upgrading, while more powerful than the rasperry pi the imx53 quickstart boards still take days to build some of the largest packages).

If you are looking to buy yourself a more poweful arm board for building stuff on my current reccomendation would be the odriod U2.
your gonna get flooded with requests.
I don't do private builds of packages for other people, sorry.
Would you be able to say why the Debian armhf packages won't work. Are they for the newer Arm processors? I think I just answered myself though.
Right, debian armhf builds for a minimum cpu requirement of armv7-a. That is the whole reason why raspbian is created.

malakai

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks and the floods won't be for private builds they'll be for the board itself :ugeek: The Pi 4.0 rev C whatever give em a little and they'll beat a path to your door for something bigger because it must be better. So no the DEV Boards are not for sale don't ask and they won't tell. Link to Mac Store :idea:

And with that post I hit 1000 :D

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:11 pm

We don't make the boards we use for building ourselves we just buy them on the open market from anyone who will offer the specs we want at the right price. If the manufacturers of those boards get flooded with orders that isn't my problem (I don't think they will be though, the pricetags are high enough to discourage most Pi users).

forenbenutzer

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Any news here? The experimental package contains Iceweasel 17 already.
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Raspbian wheezy will continue to ship the same version of iceweasel that debian wheezy does. Raspbian jessie will ship the same version of iceweasel that debian jessie does.

rpdom

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:31 pm

The Debian Wheezy security updates (from security.debian.org) already ship iceweasel 17.0.6esr-1~deb7u1

Will Raspbian track the security updates from Debian?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

The intention is to do so yes. Some manual poking may be needed, i'll take a look tonight.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:32 pm

Sorry for not getting round to looking into this sooner.

Unfortunately it seems that the new iceweasel failed to build with an internal compiler error. I'm looking into working arround it by forcing use of gcc 4.7.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 am

Ok I got it to build but don't have time to test if it works at the moment.

Can someone test the packages at http://plugwash.raspbian.org/iceweasel17/ ?

forenbenutzer

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 pm

I could do so on saturday when I am back home. If that is too late, anyone else has to do it.
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Any news, has anyone tried it? does it work?

Sorry for not doing it myself but i've been busy trying to sort things out for raspbian jessie lately.

forenbenutzer

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:34 am

Installed 5 minutes ago from your URL, works great.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks, can anyone else confirm it works?

Once I get a couple of confirmation of it working i'll push it into the repo.

forenbenutzer

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Maybe you should post a little "howto", because I still needed some time figuring out the installation order of the different *.deb files. The big number of files on your web space may scare some potential testers.

portets

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 am

I second a how-to.

And why not Iceweasel 21? There are some memory and scrolling performance improvements.

rpdom

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 am

There should be no need for a How-To once the file is in the Raspbian repository. It should be a simple case of apt-get update followed by apt-get install iceweasel, or just apt-get upgrade if it is already installed.

I doubt later versions will be included for some time, unless the Debian Devs add one to Jessie.

forenbenutzer

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 am

You are right, but in this case you have to test manually by downloading the corresponding files. And as you can see, we only have one confirmation. So either we create a small introduction or we wait another two month for someone having the muse figuring out by himself.

rpdom

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 am

We won't need to wait that long. It will be in the repo as soon as plugwash is happy that it hasn't got any serious problems.

There doesn't seem to be any point in documenting a process that will be done by 2 or 3 people only once, and once you get to know how to find files in a Debian repo layout it is quite easy. Most people will never need to do that though.

Giuliano69

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm

confirm iw7 is working on raspian.

Could it be possible to add the following patch
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=806917
It has been opened as bug and the corresponding patch, for letting firefox use gstreamer 1.0
Bug 806917 - support GStreamer 1.0 -
The patch seems not to be compatible with older firefox version. (like the icewesel 11 that comes with vanilla raspian)

PS
For the ones interested in the installation by direct dowload:

sudo dpkg --install libmozjs17d_17.0.6esr-1~deb7u1+rpi1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg --install xulrunner-17.0_17.0.6esr-1~deb7u1+rpi1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg --install iceweasel_17.0.6esr-1~deb7u1+rpi1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg --install iceweasel-l10n-it_17.0.6esr-1~deb7u1+rpi1_all.deb

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Typical, I finally get arround to testing it myself and discover that a new update has landed so I can't cleanly get it into the repo :/

Giuliano69

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Dear plugwash
I understand your situation, but I would kindly ask you to inspect and consider the above patch.

IF, as reported in the mozilla forum, this patch gives the possibility to firefox to use gstreamer 1.0 to play multimedia content, this is VERY important for raspian,
because it represent the ONLY way we have to play mmedia content in browser using the HW acceleration; that is without unacceptable time delay..

Please give the patch a look, and tell me what do you think..

Return to “Raspbian”