ReBoot

Newer soft float?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

Does anyone know if the soft float build will get updated to match the state of the hard float build? Certain software just doesn't work on the hard float build, so I'm stuck with either not getting the newest goodness or not being able to use certain software.

Spid

Re: Newer soft float?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am

I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

ReBoot

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 am

Well, define "Main issue". Mono also crashes horribly with hard float.

joan

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 am

I just point my sources list to the standard Debian reposotries. Soft float gets updated in line with Debian policies.

rpdom

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 am

If you are asking what I think you are asking (Will Debian armel/squeeze get updated to the same versions as Raspbian armhf/wheezy?). The answer is yes. Soonish. Well, in the next few months - probably.

Raspbian is a RPi specific version Debian wheezy, also currently known as "testing".

The current version of Debian is squeeze, also currently known as "stable".

In the next few months, the plans are for Debian to shift so that wheezy becomes "stable", squeeze becomes "oldstable" and the new "jessie" becomes "testing". At that point you will have a flood of new versions in stable - as long as you have "stable" in your /etc/apt/sources.list, not "squeeze". This only applies to armel versions, as I believe Raspbian will continue to use wheezy..

You can of course (as you use standard Debian armel) change your sources.list to point at wheezy now, or if you are really reckless you can try sid (known as "unstable") ;-)

Return to “Raspbian”