wonkey_monkey

Setting up multiple VNC desktops for multiple users on boot

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

I've just installed and updated the latest Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi 3. I've been able to get the main desktop's VNC connection working (logged in as "pi"), but what I want to do is add at least two more desktops for different users.

I've done this on other distros using tightvncserver (by editing /etc/vncservers), but when I installed tightvncserver on the Pi it removed realvnc-vnc-server, and with it the main desktop VNC service. I reinstalled realvnc-vnc-server and everything was back as it was.

Is it possible to do this with realvnc-vnc-server, such that the users' desktops are available upon boot? My searches have turned up nothing.

wonkey_monkey

Re: Setting up multiple VNC desktops for multiple users on boot

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 pm

I've now tried tightvncserver again, as it seems I can't do what I want with RealVNC, but now I have a couple of new problems:

The VNC desktops for my new users have empty menus, with only Run... and Shutdown... The background is grey, and it also doesn't have the same menu as the main desktop (although it does, at least, have Applications for launching programs). Also, the mouse cursor is now a cross instead of a pointer.

Are there some settings not being created, or is it defaulting to another window manager, or something? These things are all a bit over my head, I must admit, but on other systems I've always gotten whatever the standard desktop is for the system when creating new users and setting up VNC desktops for them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

bls

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:00 pm

wonkey_monkey wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 pm
I've now tried tightvncserver again, as it seems I can't do what I want with RealVNC, but now I have a couple of new problems:

The VNC desktops for my new users have empty menus, with only Run... and Shutdown... The background is grey, and it also doesn't have the same menu as the main desktop (although it does, at least, have Applications for launching programs). Also, the mouse cursor is now a cross instead of a pointer.

Are there some settings not being created, or is it defaulting to another window manager, or something? These things are all a bit over my head, I must admit, but on other systems I've always gotten whatever the standard desktop is for the system when creating new users and setting up VNC desktops for them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I've seen this far too many times on my own systems :lol: Sounds like you either don't have a display manager (lightdm or xdm, for example), or you haven't enabled XDMCP in the display manager. I've documented configuration and installation of tigervnc (and equivalently tightvnc) using systemd sockets; no process running until there is a VNC connection. You can also easily configure multiiple VNC sockets with different geometries, which is handy for supporting multiple users.

The README also describes the config changes for lightdm and xdm. https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

wonkey_monkey

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Return to “Raspbian”