Necrocoder

Raspbian Buster uses old version of youtube-dl that cannot download anything

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:32 pm

The raspbian repository provides a version of youtube-dl that cannot download anything. The latest version in the repository is as old as 2019.01.17.
Does anyone here know of a way of notifying someone that can submit a working version of youtube-dl?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian Buster uses old version of youtube-dl that cannot download anything

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:46 pm

Once a Debian release is marked stable, in general, the upstream version of packages is frozen. There's nobody to notify, it's all by design.

https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/ ... youtube-dl

scruss

Re: Raspbian Buster uses old version of youtube-dl that cannot download anything

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

youtube-dl is something that works best if you install it outside the apt package management system. If you have the system package installed, remove it with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove youtube-dl
and install the current version using:

sudo apt -y install python3-pip
sudo pip3 install youtube-dl
When downloads start to fail and you need to update it, you can do this:

sudo pip3 install --upgrade youtube-dl
I don't know of a way of keeping youtube-dl automatically up to date. It's updated daily.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Thinkcat

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:58 pm

youtube-dl has its own, internal update mechanism. You simply invoke it with youtube-dl -U.

Of course you need to run it as a user who has write permissions to the executable. I have it in my home folder in a subdirectory.

gkreidl

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:25 pm

Thinkcat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:58 pm
youtube-dl has its own, internal update mechanism. You simply invoke it with youtube-dl -U.

Of course you need to run it as a user who has write permissions to the executable. I have it in my home folder in a subdirectory.
This only works with the all-in-one version (which contains all modules within an internal zip file). But this is rather slow (loading and converting hundreds of modules). It's much better to install and upgrade it using pip(3).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Necrocoder

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:13 am

Finally it is possible to download from YouTube again. Thank you all!

Return to “Raspbian”