pvdmeer

Random freezes Buster (wifi related?)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm

The most recent Raspbian seems to suffer from random freezes. There are good reasons to completely disable WIFI, yet Rasbian doesn't allow it.

B.Goode

Re: Random freezes Jessie... cfg80211?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:33 pm

pvdmeer wrote:
There are good reasons to completely disable WIFI, yet Rasbian doesn't allow it.

I think the second part of that statement is incorrect.

See, among other references:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... ays/README and search for disable-wifi

Heater

Re: Random freezes Buster (wifi related?)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Is the first part of that post even true? I don't recall any such complaints coming up here.

The second part certainly is not. You have root permissions, you can do what you like.

pvdmeer

Re: Random freezes Jessie... cfg80211?

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:10 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:33 pm
pvdmeer wrote:
There are good reasons to completely disable WIFI, yet Rasbian doesn't allow it.

I think the second part of that statement is incorrect.

See, among other references:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... ays/README and search for disable-wifi
Yes, that will disable the low device tree connections. But there are systemd daemons flying around (lol) depending on it. No idea how to disable those, without destabilizing the system. Anyway, it seems like my ranty post causes at least some people to think along with me. Didn't expect it tbh ;)

bjtheone

Re: Random freezes Buster (wifi related?)

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 am

I am not understanding your point. There are lots of ways of disabling WiFi ranging from just turning it off to ripping the functionality out of the OS, or better still never loading it in the first place. Either of the later methods will guarantee that WiFi will not connect on your Pi. Perhaps people could offer more helpful/useful answers if you explained what you are trying to achieve.

The folks that are complaining about "random issues" are complaining about random WiFi connectivity issues. I have not seem anyone claiming that WiFi functionality is causing random freezing of the OS. If you don't use it, it will not be an issue. If you are concerned for some security reason, disable WiFi connectivity, and don't given anyone else root access.

Return to “Raspbian”