rin67630

Menu editor, how to make the terminal open full screen?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi
the Terminal opens currently as a window, for small lcd screens the window is too large.
Have I got a way to specify in the menu editor to open terminal full screen?
Regards
Laszlo

bjtheone

Re: Menu editor, how to make the terminal open full screen?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Not at a system to test and more familiar with gnome but does the command line option of "--full-screen" work? If so, edit the menu command to match

rin67630

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 pm

No, it did not work.

But I could replace the command with
/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator --geometry=64x12
which opens a smaller window fitting into the tiny LCD.

Basically the main problem is solved.
Maybe someone knows if there is nevertheless a way to open any program full-screen?

bjtheone

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Exactly which terminal and which desktop are you running? I am running Mate and mate-terminal supports the --full-screen option.Most terminals support either command line options or profiles (or both).

You could replace your terminal with one that does support the options you want.

rin67630

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:17 am

I am running Raspbian since we are in the Raspbian thread.
Its terminal is /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

I just wonder why we apparently have got no option to define a menu entry that opens any program in a maximized way

ksharindam

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am

the default terminal in raspbian is lxterminal. But it has no commandline options to start it fullscreen.
So, you have to install xterm.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xterm
then in menu editor set the command as xterm -fullscreen -e ...
that means to run omxplayer in fullscreen xterm, the command should be...

xterm -fulscreen -e omxplayer
Note : the option is -fullscreen and not --fullscreen (not double hyphen)

rpdom

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:36 am

Maybe lxterminal doesn't have a "fullscreen" options, but you can specify a geometry (columns and rows) that will fill your screen in the font you have defined.

bjtheone

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

rin67630 wrote:
I am running Raspbian since we are in the Raspbian thread.
Its terminal is /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

I just wonder why we apparently have got no option to define a menu entry that opens any program in a maximized way
Point of clarification "raspbian" is the name of the distribution (like Ubuntu) of Linux you are running, which is a port of Debian for ARM. Buster is the name of the current version of Raspbian. By default if you install the full version (with desktop) you get the lxde desktop. However you can run whatever desktop floats your boat. For example I run Raspbian with Mate, built via starting with Raspbian Lite and then installing mate-desktop. That gets me a different default terminal. Plus "/usb/bin/x-terminal-emulator" may just be a link to the actual terminal binary. There are many many terminal programs, with similar functionality. I do know that in my install running /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator launches mate-terminal. I am pretty sure that lxde installs lxterminal by default. Once you sort out which actual terminal program you are running you can read its man page and sort out if it has the options you want. If not just install and use one that does.

smoki

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 pm
Maybe someone knows if there is nevertheless a way to open any program full-screen?

There is the way http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications

I don't think obapps working properly nowdays... but manually that should be to add in $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml something like:

<applications>
	<application class="*" type="normal">
		<fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
	</application>
</applications>
And be careful with editing these xml files, this should go under applications. Class '*' is a wildcard, so it will force all normal windows fullcreen.

After editing log in/log out is needed or just 'openbox --restart' command

Or per app windows example, if you wanna force just x-terminal-emulator window to go fullscreen then:

<application class="X-terminal-emulator" name="x-terminal-emulator" type="normal"
      <fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
    </application>

smoki

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:50 pm

rin67630 wrote:
I guess someone just need to make a GUI for that like a obapps was, so that user could force whatever he wants window to do more easely :lol:

Anyway, it is always possible to do it manually, so under applications:

<applications>
	<application class="*" type="normal">
		<maximized>true</maximized>	</application>
</applications>
This will force all normal windows to be maximized, where of course maximized is something different than fullscreen, etc...

rin67630

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 pm

bjtheone wrote:
rin67630 wrote:
Once you sort out which actual terminal program you are running you can read its man page and sort out if it has the options you want. If not just install and use one that does.
The question was why can't a launcher start ANY program (that provides a decoration bar with a maximizing/minimizing button) maximized/or minimized? Why must tha b anoption of the respective app?
If the app permits to be maximized or minimized, why can't that be an option during it's launch?
An option handled by Gnome, not by the application. IMHO we have got a conceptual deficit.

rin67630

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 pm
bjtheone wrote:
rin67630 wrote:
Once you sort out which actual terminal program you are running you can read its man page and sort out if it has the options you want. If not just install and use one that does.
The question was why can't a launcher start ANY program (that provides a decoration bar with a maximizing/minimizing button) maximized/or minimized? Why must that be an option of the respective app?
If the app permits to be maximized or minimized, why can't that be an option during it's launch?
An option handled by Gnome, not by the application. IMHO we have got a conceptual deficit.

bjtheone

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:03 am

So I installed lxterminal and it does not support fullscreen as far as I can tell. Therefore your easiest option is install and use a terminal app that does. Setting the geometry option will get you the size but it is not the same as fullscreen, in that the window decoration will be different.

rin67630

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:10 am

bjtheone wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:03 am
So I installed lxterminal and it does not support fullscreen as far as I can tell.
lxterminal has very well the maximize ability. It's just the launcher that cannot use it.

bjtheone

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Maximize is a window manager option that is applied to the window in question. If you want to define it as a command runnable from a launcher you need an option that is available to the terminal program as a command line switch. You also could go down the path of mucking about in the windowing configs since it is likely doable in there depending on your particular terminal program and desktop, but is is way easier to just install a terminal program that supports a command line switch and use that. Xterm has it, mate-terminal has it, gnome-terminal has it.

Return to “Raspbian”