exartemarte

Stretch Upgrade

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Installing Stretch on a Pi 3B+ I prevented it from updating because I presumed it would try to upgrade to Buster, which wasn't what I wanted and which we have been warned against.

Am I right in thinking that is what would have happened?

(I'll probably explain in another post why I wanted to use Stretch rather than Buster in this instance.)

scruss

Re: Stretch Upgrade

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:10 pm

It won't upgrade to Buster unless you do lots of manual things. It won't happen unless you choose to
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 pm

exartemarte wrote:
Installing Stretch on a Pi 3B+ I prevented it from updating because I presumed it would try to upgrade to Buster, which wasn't what I wanted and which we have been warned against.

(I'll probably explain in another post why I wanted to use Stretch rather than Buster in this instance.)

Unless you change the sources then you will always be on Raspbian Stretch, best to read the blog rather than make assumptions, Stretch is now only receiving security & critical updates:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/

Raspbian Buster works AOK and no reason not to start with a new SD Card and a fresh install !
Retired disgracefully.....

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

exartemarte wrote:
Installing Stretch on a Pi 3B+ I prevented it from updating because I presumed it would try to upgrade to Buster
What you are talking about is called a rolling release (a distro that continues to update/upgrade indefinitely).

Raspbian (Debian) is not a rolling release. It does not upgrade from one major release to the next automatically. Stretch will continue to be Stretch, and eventually support will end, and it will still be Stretch, but you won't receive any more updates.

... which wasn't what I wanted and which we have been warned against.
Why? And what issues have "we" been warned about?

Nope... see above.

Please explain it here, because this post is confusing without context.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

exartemarte

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Thank you all for the helpful replies, which have served to make good a gap in my knowledge of the way in which the distributions work.
HawaiianPi wrote:
Why? And what issues have "we" been warned about?
I'm not sure what to make of your use of quotation marks. I have seen posts enquiring about upgrading existing installations to Buster, rather than starting again with a fresh install, and replies advising against it. That's what I was referring to; perhaps "advised against" would have been a more suitable phrase than "warned about". That is all.
HawaiianPi wrote:
Please explain it here, because this post is confusing without context.
I'm sorry, but I don't think it is. I asked a straightforward binary question - would this thing happen or not happen - and received replies which both answered the question and added helpful explanation. There really isn't anything confusing about that.

However, since you ask I will explain:

In addition to my desktop Pi 4 with cabled Ethernet, with which I am happy, I have a portable one, using wifi, for doing a variety of Pi-type stuff. I want to use it in a location where I use a laptop every day and have used several generations of Pi and Raspbian over a number of years without difficulty. The Pi 4, however, suffers poor wifi connectivity at best, with frequent and sometimes prolonged drop-outs. I tried an external, elevated wifi dongle, which didn't really help. To eliminate hardware problems I transferred the OS to a Pi 3B+ and the issue persisted, leaving Buster as the common factor. To be sure, I set up the same 3B+ with Stretch just to check that things would go back to working as they always have in the past and so far it seems that they have. However, it's only been running a few hours and I was intending to try it over several days before coming back here to explain why I was choosing to use a 3B+ with Stretch when I have a Pi 4 available.

If there is some problem with the way Buster handles wifi I have no doubt it will get sorted over time.

I hope that leaves you less confused, at least in respect of my motives.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:21 am

exartemarte wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 pm
I have seen posts enquiring about upgrading existing installations to Buster, rather than starting again with a fresh install,
Ah, okay. Sorry, but the way I read your post it seemed you were just avoiding Buster due to some warning, but now I understand it was the Stretch to Buster upgrade you were referring to. Thanks for clarifying that. And yes, it is advised to start with a clean install.

I haven't noticed any WiFi trouble, but my Pi4 is stationary, and my router is just down the hall.

FYI:
Forum member sakaki is working on 64-bit Gentoo Linux for the Pi4, and Gentoo is a rolling release. I've been meaning to follow the progress on that more closely, but things have been a little hectic for me lately and I haven't been doing so.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Raspbian”