clarkdv

How to keep Raspbian Buster Lite small?

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 am

I have installed Raspbian Buster Lite and normally the first order of business for me is to run update and upgrade BUT, I installed lite to keep it small and I'm afraid if I update and upgrade that it's going to put a lot of stuff I don't need on there.

How do I keep the core of Buster update and upgraded without all the other superfluous stuff?

Thanks!

buja

Re: How to keep Raspbian Buster Lite small?

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:58 am

That won't happen, the update/upgrade procedure only updates and upgrades the packages that are already installed.
It will not install for example all GUI stuff.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 am

clarkdv wrote:
I have installed Raspbian Buster Lite and normally the first order of business for me is to run update and upgrade BUT, I installed lite to keep it small and I'm afraid if I update and upgrade that it's going to put a lot of stuff I don't need on there.

How do I keep the core of Buster update and upgraded without all the other superfluous stuff?

Thanks!

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

Code: Select all

sudo apt autoremove

https://itsfoss.com/apt-command-guide/
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:19 am

An update/upgrade only affects packages already installed. It's not going to add a lot of other superfluous stuff. And you can use the clean option to remove old downloaded package archives. Also watch for messages about orphaned packages when upgrading, and use the autoremove option to get rid of them.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

B.Goode

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 am

clarkdv wrote:

Thanks!

Don't be 'afraid'.

Have the courage to experiment. Then you will become experienced, knowledgeable and confident.

If your experiment goes wrong, what is the worst that could happen? Reflashing your microSD card with a fresh installation of Raspbian will only cost about 10 minutes of your time.

clarkdv

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks to all for the input!

Return to “Raspbian”