DJenner8

Upgraded Stretch to Buster on 3B+; won't boot on 4B?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:54 am

I apparently successfully upgraded a custom configuration of Stretch (fully updated) to Buster on an RPi 3B+. It boots and runs OK on the 3B+. It won't boot on the 4B. The green activity LED flashes for a brief time and then nothing happens. There is no output on the display.

Do I have to do something to Buster to make it boot on the 4B? Can the same SD card be made to boot on both?

Thanks,
Dave

DJenner8

Update: Upgraded Stretch to Buster on 3B+; won't boot on 4B?

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:30 am

Well, you'd think someone could have responded by now. I hate to have to answer my own questions.

I could never get the upgraded Stretch to boot on the 4B.

The 4B could produce a working Buster from scratch, using NOOBS. I spent a day with the clean install, trying to replicate as best possible my upgraded Stretch configuration. I mostly succeeded.

Now BOTH a 4B and a 3B+ will boot from the same SD card. I'll have to try to configure some benchmarks on the SD card. The simplest result is that the 3B+ has 748 MiB available after boot and that the 4B has 3.64 GiB available after boot. (The 4B is a 4GB model.)

Dave

fbe

Re: Upgraded Stretch to Buster on 3B+; won't boot on 4B?

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 pm

When the next new Raspberry Pi Board will appear, your installation will be unbootable again on it, even if you upgrade Raspbian. NOOBS is not upgrading automatically. Many users avoid NOOBS for that reason.

If you need to upgrade NOOBS manually see: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=212452

klricks

Re: Upgraded Stretch to Buster on 3B+; won't boot on 4B?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:56 am

IMO NOOBs is only useful if you want to install more than 1 OS on the same card..... If not then it is much easier to use the stand alone image installed with Etcher.
If you must use a installer / boot manager then it is better to use PINN instead of NOOBs. Unlike NOOBS, PINN can easily be updated when new RPi board is released. I think PINN has an auto update feature.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=142574
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Raspbian”