TheProrok29

VSC on RPI 4B

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 am

Hi. I have a RPi 4B and latest Raspbian OS. I want to try Visual Studio Code on the new board. When I installed app he not start. I see only blank black screen with title VCS. Why this happend? Can I do something different to run this app?

fruitoftheloom

Re: VSC on RPI 4B

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:46 am

TheProrok29 wrote:
Hi. I have a RPi 4B and latest Raspbian OS. I want to try Visual Studio Code on the new board. When I installed app he not start. I see only blank black screen with title VCS. Why this happend? Can I do something different to run this app?

Debian based Operating systems use packages, Apps are usually associated with Android.

So the question is what did you download and where did you download it from ?
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

hippy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:57 pm

TheProrok29 wrote:
I want to try Visual Studio Code on the new board. When I installed app he not start. I see only blank black screen with title VCS. Why this happend?
Later versions of VSC do not work on a Pi, behave exactly as described. You need to use a version which actually works on a Pi.

TheProrok29

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:20 pm

I used a mental shortcut. I know difference between app and packages. Problem is that the latest version of VSC doesn.t work on ARM processors. The latest working version is VSC 1.29. I found this information on official ARM fork page on github.

polomint

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:19 am

I have been looking about for a while and even tried the headmelted instructions for code-oss, but have had no luck with it (it seems to lock up with a blank window).

Has anyone had any luck getting an older version of vscode installed on the Pi4? Maybe someone has found some reliable way to get it running? I'm not too bothered about the newest versions, it is mainly for creating and editing dotnet-core webservices :)

Cheers !

DirkS

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:24 am

polomint wrote:
I have been looking about for a while and even tried the headmelted instructions for code-oss, but have had no luck with it (it seems to lock up with a blank window).

Has anyone had any luck getting an older version of vscode installed on the Pi4? Maybe someone has found some reliable way to get it running? I'm not too bothered about the newest versions, it is mainly for creating and editing dotnet-core webservices :)

Cheers !
As mentioned above: v 1.29 should work. Download the deb file from headmelted's repo and install it...

polomint

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 am

DirkS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:24 am
polomint wrote:

Cheers !
As mentioned above: v 1.29 should work. Download the deb file from headmelted's repo and install it...
Thank you, I think that may have been the one that I had issues with, but I have reinstalled the Pi so will give it another shot :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am

v1.29 worked fine on a 4B for me.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Raspbian”