Mark_Speir

Pi shuts down automatically immediately after boot.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm

I'm trying to use the Witty Pi 2 RTC board. I installed the software as per the manual and rebooted, but from then on, as soon as the desktop loads, the Pi shuts down with the string "plymouth-poweroff.service".

I have less than one second after boot before power off. How do I fix this?

rajsaha

Re: Pi shuts down automatically immediately after boot.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 am

Having the same exact issue. Anyone has a solution?

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am

Make another SD card - remove the HAT then mount the faulty one in a USB adapter and rename the Witty Pi program folder, then you can use the original card to debug things.

This hack is the way you update the software :roll: :!: :roll: so it should stop it running
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

erichabg

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I've been trying for over half a year to get this thing to run reliably on two systems - in vain!

At the moment I have the problem mentioned about on one of my remote systems - and the other therefore is no more comming up again by itself after a number of successfull off/on cycles!
The longest time that it worked without errors was maximum three days then the system was never powered on and I have to walk (not the shortest way!) to the system. :-(

I'm now so far to throw the thing into the garbage and even to develop something with an Arduino and DS1337 by myself.

Regards
Erich

Mark_Speir

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm

The problem is that the board wasn't even installed when the problems began, just the required software.

B.Goode

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Mark_Speir wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm
The problem is that the board wasn't even installed when the problems began, just the required software.

That sounds like Good News, rather than a problem.

It means the third-party board cannot have caused any damage to your RPi board.

And if the problem arises simply from the installation of the third-party software then it is the supplier/developer of that software from whom you should seek advice or a solution.

The advice from @Andyroo will still allow you to regain access to the Operating System installed on your microSD card if you have work of value stored on it that has not been backed up elsewhere. You can simply skip the first inapplicable step of removing the add-on hardware.

B.Goode

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm

A further thought, added after the OP had potentially read the previous response...

Might it be that the rebooted system, after modification by the software installation process, requires the presence of a 'keep-alive' signal from the add-on board and in its absence automatically triggers a shutdown process?

In which case, installing the new hardware first, prior to modifying the Operating System, might be all that is required?

Just a guess or hunch - not based on any knowledge of the product or its documentation.

Mark_Speir

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 pm

I thought that might very well be the case. However, the problem persists after installation of the board.

B.Goode

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Since the software is installed from a GitHub repository I would normally recommend using the Issues page for the repository to contact the developer. Sadly there does not seem to be an Issues page...

Uugear have a Contact Us form on their website : http://www.uugear.com/contact-us/

Return to “Raspbian”