tigernero

~rpt1 in some raspbian packages?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm

I wanted to ask for the additional wording ~rpt1 in some raspbian packages what does this mean?

example = HTS Tvheadend 4.2.4-dmo1~bpo9+1~rpt1

this item indicates optimized package just for raspberry and if so, in what?

wanting to install tvheadend 4.2.8 from the official tvheadend repositories, no I get ~rpt1 later, and I don't know if it's better to have such a package ~rpi1 or not.

Thanks to those who can answer me.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: ~rpt1 in some raspbian packages?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 pm

rpt means that it has been modified in some way by Raspberry Pi Trading.

tvheadend devs recommend their package and they will eventually be unified.

tigernero

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 pm

ok thank you, but in the end it pays to have tvhead 4.2.4 rpt1 or install tvheadend 4.2.8 from their repository? the fact that it has been changed by Raspberry Pi Trading into what? does it improve functionality compared to tvheadend repositories?

ledow

Thu May 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Not sure - the rpt version has a lot more dependencies on things like libavcodec

I imagine it's modified for acceleration, however it also misses out transcoding acceleration that's available by using omx-player. There are instructions elsewhere on the net to recompile tvheadend to enable this on RPi, which allows a live, in-the-browser, transcoded stream direct in the tvHeadend interface (no VLC etc. required).

I suspect that the answer is that they've changed a lot, but it's still not an optimal package but there is bog-all information out there about what is changed and why. I tried to look through and it's hard to pin down exactly what they've done without literally downloading the entire source package and comparing it to the 4.2.4 official repo.

It would be really nice if we could just use the upstream tvHeadend packages or, failing that, have a proper changelog/SCM for the tvHeadend changes.

Also, the -rpt version seems to use a lot of unusual paths for no real reason - every time I compile tvHeadend myself, it chooses entirely different paths, so I doubt that an official tvvHeadend package can be a direct upgrade to the -rpt versions (especially given things like picon locations etc. changing).

Would be nice if whoever manages that package could a) document the changes, b) point to a repository that they coded it from, c) keep it vaguely up to date (it is potentially an Internet-facing web service for some people, after all, and a lot of HTTP digest authentication fixes have gone in since 4.2.4) or d) hand it up so that we can move to the official tvHeadend packages.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu May 30, 2019 3:46 pm

The rpt package comes from deb-multimedia. The upstream packaging had a few quality issues at the time. The deb-multimedia package isn't perfect either, but was more line line with what debian packages should look like. Afraid I can't offer any specifics since it has been a while.

Return to “Raspbian”