Thursten

[Suggestion] Welcome to RaspberryPi Config

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Hey Guys,

So I was thinking.. When you're trying to configure things from the start through the Welcome to Raspberry Pi, Getting started popup. It would be lovely to choose more languages then just the one available in your country..
I'm from The Netherlands, so the only options I get is dutch and the several awful dialects they speak here, but I want it to be in English.. I always use English for all my OS's and UI's.
Ofcourse I know I can change it afterwards but wouldn't it be nicer and easier to be able to choose that in the first place?
I mean I can't be the only one here?

I'd like to hear the possibilities and how many more people would like this option!
Thanks in advance
Greets,
Thursten

fbe

Re: [Suggestion] Welcome to RaspberryPi Config

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:50 pm

What do you expect from setting your country to Netherlands? What you are actually are asked here is to select a localisation (en_US) or localization (en_UK). ;)

DirkS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:32 pm

fbe wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:50 pm
localization (en_US) or localisation (en_UK). ;)
FTFY

DirkS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Thursten wrote:
So I was thinking.. When you're trying to configure things from the start through the Welcome to Raspberry Pi, Getting started popup. It would be lovely to choose more languages then just the one available in your country..
IIRC there are some limitations to the possible locale settings in the startup wizard.
It's easy to change your settings with raspi-config or the GUI configuration program

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 pm

The options available in the setup wizard (and raspi-config) are restricted by the Debian locale database.

In Debian, you do not set a country and a separate language, you select a "locale", which is a combination of a country and a language. (For example en_UK is English, UK.)

Debian offers a hundred or so languages, and a hundred or so countries; but it only offers a few hundred locales - it does not, therefore, offer every possible combination of country and language.

The setup wizard (like Raspberry Pi Configuration and raspi-config) offer all the locale combinations which are defined in Debian, but unfortunately, the example you suggest (country Netherlands, language English) is not one of them. (For reference, the countries where English is an available language are Antigua, Australia, Botswana, Canada, Denmark, UK, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, India, Nigeria, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, the USA, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe...)

If you want to add a Netherlands / English locale, the way to do so is to submit one to Debian - there is a standard format for a locale file. We just take Debian's entire locale database, so if Debian add the locale, it will automatically appear in the startup wizard.

rin67630

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Thursten wrote:
I'd like to hear the possibilities and how many more people would like this option!
Thanks in advance
Greets,
Thursten
I also miss the possiblity to chose language EN with country DE for example.

spl23

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 am

rin67630 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 pm
Thursten wrote:
Thanks in advance
Greets,
Thursten
I also miss the possiblity to chose language EN with country DE for example.
As above - if you want en_DE as a locale, you need to create it and submit it to Debian.

bensimmo

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 am

It would also be nice if it set Chromium (on the desktop version) to the correct locale to.
It's set to enUS for language and spelling even though it an UK/GB country OS.
If that is possible or not in the startup wazard I don't know, but it a small irk for what is a British based OS in the respect of default settings (I expect it of an English US based OS).

That's a small erk, as I do like the new wizard start.

spl23

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 am
It would also be nice if it set Chromium (on the desktop version) to the correct locale to.
It's set to enUS for language and spelling even though it an UK/GB country OS.
If that is possible or not in the startup wazard I don't know, but it a small irk for what is a British based OS in the respect of default settings (I expect it of an English US based OS).
Good idea - I'll see if it's possible. (I hadn't realised Chromium didn't obey the system locale setting, but it doesn't really surprise me that it doesn't!)

Return to “Raspbian”