lepluc

Odd country, keyboard and language!

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Is it possible to manually configure raspian with country = France, language = US English and keyboard layout = Swedish?
If so how is it done?
TIA
Richard

Andyroo

Re: Odd country, keyboard and language!

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Assuming you can managed to type on the result then try:

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
and try option 4 from that!

Never tried it that odd but give it a go (or buy a new keyboard :lol: )
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 pm

lepluc wrote:
Is it possible to manually configure raspian with country = France, language = US English and keyboard layout = Swedish?
Probably not. You can set whatever keyboard you like (in Mouse and Keyboard Settings), but country and language are set as one unit in Debian, called a "locale", and I don't think there is one with country as France and language as US English.

Andyroo

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

spl23 wrote:
lepluc wrote:
Probably not. You can set whatever keyboard you like (in Mouse and Keyboard Settings), but country and language are set as one unit in Debian, called a "locale", and I don't think there is one with country as France and language as US English.
You can do wild things in the full version of Debian set-up as I just ended up with an Icelandic keyboard due to typing the wrong thing on the wrong keyboard :lol: :oops:

TODAYS LESSON: NEVER HAVE TWO KEYBOARDS BUT ONE MONITOR :roll:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fbe

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 pm

lepluc wrote:
What do you expect from configuring "country = France"?

spl23

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm
spl23 wrote:
lepluc wrote:
You can do wild things in the full version of Debian set-up as I just ended up with an Icelandic keyboard due to typing the wrong thing on the wrong keyboard :lol: :oops:
As I said above, you can set whatever keyboard you like. But neither Raspbian nor Debian will allow you to use a language and country combination which are not available as a supported locale.

jojopi

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:43 pm

spl23 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:43 pm
But neither Raspbian nor Debian will allow you to use a language and country combination which are not available as a supported locale.
POSIX allows you to have a different locale for each category. Depending on exactly what OP intended, it may work to have France as the fallback locale, but override to US English for the categories related to human language:

LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
Or alternatively, have US English as the fallback, but override the categories related to being in France:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.UTF-8
It would be most common to select this kind of mixed locale setup on a per-user basis in ~/.profile (in which case you should add "export " before each setting). But it is also possible to set them system-wide in /etc/default/locale.

Either way, Debian requires you to "generate" all the locales you may use, before you select them. raspi-config runs the command that lets you do that.

lepluc

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks everybody for taking the time to answer!
Maybe it can/can't be done but I've got a few tips to try so.........

Return to “Raspbian”