Jon Severinsson

Qt/KDE and OpenGL

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 pm

The Qt OpenGL component can be built using either OpenGL 2.1 or OpenGL ES 2. The Debian packages (and current Raspbian packages) are configured to use OpenGL 2.1, which lacks hw acceleration on the Raspberry Pi.

I'm working on reconfiguring and recompiling Qt and KDE with OpenGL ES 2 instead. So far I have done the qt4-x11, kde4libs and kde-workspace source packages, resulting in a HW accelerated composited desktop with resonable (though not exactly stellar) performance. Original and updated sources, patches against the Debian source package, and Raspbian binaries are available at http://jon.severinsson.net/raspbian if anyone else want to look at it.

To get the entire repository working, the remaining source packages listed by 'build-rdeps libqt4-opengl-dev' need to be rebuilt, possible with some patches (most likely just removing any explicit dependency on libgl1-mesa-dev or libglu1-mesa-dev, like in the case of kde4libs above). I'm going to start to work through that list (uploading my results to the same place), but with only one Pi to work on, it is going to take some time to compile all 62 packages.

Is anyone else interested in this and want to coordinate their work with mine? Is there any interest in pushing this work into the Raspbian archive? And if so, how do I go about doing that?

ghans

Re: Qt/KDE and OpenGL

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Can't you contact asb or plugwash via PM ? Perhaps they provide
contact details on the Raspbian homepage. BTW, are you affliated with the
QtonPi program ? If yes , how is it going ? What have been people up to with their boards ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Jon Severinsson

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:30 pm

ghans wrote:Can't you contact asb or plugwash via PM?
Sure, will do.
ghans wrote:Perhaps they provide contact details on the Raspbian homepage.
No, at least none I can find...
ghans wrote:BTW, are you affliated with the QtonPi program?
No, they are all about Qt5 on Mer, this is about KDE4 on Qt4 on Raspbian...

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Do you have to build against Pi specific openGL es stuff or is building against generic openGL es stuff sufficient?

Jon Severinsson

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm

plugwash wrote:Do you have to build against Pi specific openGL es stuff or is building against generic openGL es stuff sufficient?
Building against libgles2-mesa-dev and libegl1-mesa-dev, instead of libgl1-mesa-dev and libglu1-mesa-dev, is sufficient. The Pi specific libGLESv2.so and libEGL.so implementation (/opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so and /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so) is picked up at runtime, thanks to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/00-vmcs.conf.

Jon Severinsson

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm

I've now created a repository at http://apt.severinsson.net/raspbian with my packages (primarily so I can manage build-dependencies on further packages through apt). If you want to test it, just add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb [arch=armhf] http://apt.severinsson.net/raspbian wheezy qtgles
deb-src http://apt.severinsson.net/raspbian wheezy qtgles
There isn't much there yet, and enabling it will break the remaining reverse-dependencies in the official Raspbian repository, but I'm working on it...

rymate1234

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Is this still being worked on?
Just found it in a google search, and looks promising. I'll try it out tonight, and report back :D

UnaClocker

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:03 pm

This is really cool. Maybe it's all done now?

rymate1234

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm

UnaClocker wrote:This is really cool. Maybe it's all done now?
I guess we'll know as soon as this apt-get is done :D

rymate1234

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Annnnd error! http://pastebin.com/ZdQJXBa8

I'll try to debug the error myself (think it is because I'm running linux 3.6)

rymate1234

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Well, currently trying it out.

It isn't that bad! Probably need more ram and a faster SD card :D (only got the 256MB Pi). Other than being a tad sluggish due to lack of Xorg acceleration, it works well!

EDIT - OpenGL composition doesn't actually work. Not sure if I missed a package or two, but it says it is an Xorg error.

Return to “Raspbian”