J_mie

Raspbian Lite questions

Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi folks,

Questions re: Raspbian Lite; is it possible to launch Apps with GUIs from the command line with the default build or would the user need to install a full desktop environment to enable this i.e. RPD, LXDE etc.

Thanks in advance,

MaxTheSpy

Re: Raspbian Lite questions

Wed May 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Im pretty sure the best UI your going to get from commandline is going to be

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
this menu is about as good as your going to get maybe other than

Either way I would recommend downloading the desktop IP and only turn it on if you need a UI
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

ghans

Thu May 31, 2018 4:36 am

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev libx11-6 x11-common x11-utils x11-xkb-utils x11-xserver-utils xterm lightdm openbox
should install a basic X11 environment which might or might not be enough to start most X11 applications.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

J_mie

Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks, I think this was the answer I was looking for. I'll give it a shot.

Is it standard practice to install a full desktop and then disable it as opposed to installing only the components needed to run X11 apps?

Thanks,

ghans

Thu May 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Nope, this is just a kludge because fat images are so popular with Raspberry Pi users.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

MaxTheSpy

Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 pm

ghans wrote:
Nope, this is just a kludge because fat images are so popular with Raspberry Pi users.

ghans
If you have the space on your SD card Im not sure I see the problem, It is nice to have every once and a while.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

SOCSBC

Thu May 31, 2018 4:30 pm

I think I understand where you're coming from. I had the idea to install Raspbian Stretch Lite on a Pi Zero W, and thereafter live in the CLI, only installing programs that were relevant to that environment (e.g., cmus, ELinks, rtv, mc, etc.). I'm new to GNU/Linux, and wanted to totally immerse myself in the CLI, only touching a GUI when absolutely necessary. Since I'm still learning the command line, I experiment with commands like "cat" and "see", but find certain problems along the way: opening .pdf's, mounting a usb drive to transfer files, etc. As mentioned above, "raspi-config" is a great tool for the basic set-up. My short term solution, until I get a better handle on the CLI and Bash shell scripting, is to install the full Raspbian," sudo apt-get remove --purge" all of the educational programs and games, and then adjust the settings to boot to the command line, upon starting. In the meantime, I'll peruse the "man", "info", and "apropos" pages, learning as I go.

This approach reminds me of a mechanic, popping the hood, and revving the engine from the other side of the accelerator. :mrgreen:

J_mie

Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 pm

ghans wrote:

ghans
I see, I think a compromise between the two would be to install Raspbian Lite and then add RPD as per GhostRaiders guide This way any apps I use would have the necessary dependencies already rather than having to install them as I go.

MaxTheSpy

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:56 am

SOCSBC wrote:

This approach reminds me of a mechanic, popping the hood, and revving the engine from the other side of the accelerator. :mrgreen:
as a mechanic by day I feel this statement!
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Man in a van

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 am

SOCSBC wrote:
. My short term solution, until I get a better handle on the CLI and Bash shell scripting, is to install the full Raspbian," sudo apt-get remove --purge" all of the educational programs and games,
i have tried this approach in the past and found it difficult to remove all the "not wanted on voyage" stuff. I now find it is much simpler with a RPI 3B+ and the latest version of Stretch-Lite to just do

sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods
and add the few extra bits I need, Chromium, Piclone and VNC Server

Ronnie

SOCSBC

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Man in a van wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 am
Piclone
Piclone is really brilliant, isn't it? I can now keep copies of my copies, and backups of my backups! :D

Man in a van

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

@SOCSBC

Piclone has certainly proved usefu,l but my top ten tip is pishrink :)

Ronnie

SOCSBC

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Man in a van wrote:

Ronnie
:shock:

*Bookmarked*

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:18 am

Man in a van wrote:
@SOCSBC

Ronnie
Where's the URL for PiShrink?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Man in a van

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Dougie

I got it from here,

https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink

I have a rpi 3B+ with a 64Gb card and mostly use it to reduce the file size on any OS images I make for different media servers (mostly for LMS).

I just make a new directory on the pi, do the install and chmod and then add which ever file I want to shrink.

Then run

sudo ./pishrink.sh name of file.img
The shrink time is not so long as the time to transfer the file in and out of the pi but as I don't do it very often it's no real problem.

I think it will run on a Linux set-up (inside a VM as well) but I haven't tried that yet, also, on the pi, it might be able to run on a file on an external USB stick, but again, I have not tried.

I have found it very useful, hence the more detailed answer, as that might help others.

Regards

Ronnie

Edit: Ashamed by displaying my laziness I copied a file to a usb stick, popped it into the pi and, indeed, it does work. :)
Last edited by Man in a van on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveSpencer

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:32 am

[insert web search engine of choice here] is your friend.

https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

n67

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm

The obvious answer to this question is: OF COURSE, it is possible to run X applications (i.e., X clients) on a CLI-only machine without installing an X server. I do it all the time.

Have people forgotten how the X computing model is defined?
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

SOCSBC

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm

n67 wrote:
...Have people forgotten how the X computing model is defined?
Go on...

J_mie

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

n67 wrote:
The obvious answer to this question is: OF COURSE, it is possible to run X applications (i.e., X clients) on a CLI-only machine without installing an X server. I do it all the time.

Have people forgotten how the X computing model is defined?

Could you expand on this? The kind of X apps I'd be running would be GUI driven office apps

ghans

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I believe he is talking about X forwarding. You install an X server on Windows (XMing).
Then you SSH into your Raspberry Pi. You start an X client on the Raspberry (almost all graphical programs on Raspbian are X clients by definition). With X forwarding, the graphical output (window) will pop up on your Windows machine, since the X server provides a surface for X clients to draw on. This terminology is the opposite of what people used to VNC or RDP expect.

This should of course also work without any X server running on the Pi itself.

ghans

n67

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Not necessarily.

But, yes, that is one way to do it.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

J_mie

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:59 pm

n67 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm
Not necessarily.

But, yes, that is one way to do it.
Helpful...

ghans

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Here is a simple guide for X forwarding (with screenshots !).
https://www.cpdforteachers.com/resource ... spberry-pi

ghans

Return to “Raspbian”