irinic

Help How to create a subnet that is accessible from the local network

Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi,
I would like to use my raspberry as a little router (or nat?) so that i can connect my esp to it ad have them connected on a separate nework instead of my main network. I tried installing dnsmasq and hostapd and bridge-utils to create the network but both the times i tried to do that i anded up or
  • with another wifi network connected to the internet (that's what i wanted) but couldn't be able to connect to the raspberry pi, i wasn't able to connect to it even with ssh and my main router didn't show the ip address of the pi but it showed the ip of the devices connected to the pi's wifi.
  • with the raspberry turning on but not creating his wifi and not even connecting to my home network
I need to be able to connect to the raspberry pi from a browser because i have a webserver running on it.
now i hve formatted the sd so I don't have any log or config saved.
Sorry for the bad english

NC

davesteele

Re: Help How to create a subnet that is accessible from the local network

Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 am

If I understand you right, you can do this on a Pi 3 or Zero W with Comitup installed and a (second) USB Wifi adapter.

irinic

Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 pm

davesteele wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 am
If I understand you right, you can do this on a Pi 3 or Zero W with Comitup installed and a (second) USB Wifi adapter.
ok but i have a Pi B+ that is connected with ethernet to the main network and, plugged to the pi, a usb wifi adapter

epoch1970

Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm

So you want your Pi as a wifi access point for your devices, set to a separate network.
The official guide, from the top, down to "Start it up", should do what you want.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

I suppose you don't need to give your ESP devices access to the Internet. If you do, also apply the instructions under "Add routing and Masquerade".

You don't need the second half of that page. You do not want a bridge.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Raspbian”