Xarles E Heat

Custom GUI?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi there, my name's Xarles.

i've been using Rasberry since the first model B, now i have found a personal project to be accomplished, but for that, i must adapt a TFT screen (with no KB or mouse). The problem is: i don't want the old classic computer desktop, i want something fresh handmade by me with the options i want, but remember no keyboard or mouse, just physical button-based input (my project will be portable, so i'm thinking on something like an MP3 player or portable console) where if i want to check the music, i select the button for my library and press play.

I want to program something like a theme where the main apps is on a menu, and moving a joystick, will lead me, to the app i want, there, when i push into Enter, the "Software" will open the selected program (there, the "customization" isnt needed to go, "yet")

so: How i can start looking for info? i've tried to look for some Youtube Videos, but all i can find are GUI for Python apps, so i need to go deeper

I would love to find some assistant to do that, but if i have to type all in, i'm not scared, so Thanks for your time and help!!!

Xarles-

topguy

Re: Custom GUI?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 pm

If you want to design it yourself then you probably have to also write it yourself so which programming languages do you know ?

SteveSpencer

Re: Custom GUI?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

topguy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 pm
If you want to design it yourself then you probably have to also write it yourself so which programming languages do you know ?
That is almost certainly true. I had in mind something similar at one time for the Adafruit TFT screens, which also have 4 GPIOs which can be connected to buttons (think left,right, enter, cancel). Since that appears as a framebuffer device, it would be possible to have a GUI which consists of displayed buttons, and you can move the focus around by using left/right, and click enter or cancel.
A lot of printers these days have small displays, and allow you to change settings using something similar. If you were feeling particularly masochistic and had good eyesight, you could do the same job with a mono OLED and one of Pimoroni's button shims :)
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

Return to “Raspbian”