MachineX

Having issue with Raspbian Stretch Lite and SD card/boot partition?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 am

Bought a new Pi Zero W from MicroCenter today ($3.14 deal).

I downloaded the latest Raspbian Stretch Lite zip, and every time I write it to my SD card, the "boot" partition is not recognized by any OS (Windows, Mac or Linux).

I tried the following:

- Extracted .img file and wrote via Etcher on both Mac and Windows.
- Did not extract file, and wrote via Etcher on both Mac and Windows.
- Also tried writing the .img with Win32DiskImager (both 0.9.5 and 1.0.0) on Windows.
- Tried Rufus to write .img file on Windows.
- Downloaded the file on my existing Pi v3, and wrote to SD via dd (both extracted, and unzip piped).
- Tried 2 other SD cards, all have the same issue.

When plugging in the SD card via a USB adapter, Windows pops up asking if I want to format.
When plugging into Mac, similar message to initialize.
When attempting to mount on linux I get "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1"

I also tried to do all of the above with the "Full Gui Image" , with the same results.....

Any ideas, at my wits end?

jostle

Re: Having issue with Raspbian Stretch Lite and SD card/boot partition?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 am

The image that you create on the SD card is a bootable Linux operating system.
All you need to do is insert the SD card in your Pi and it will be up and running.
Have Fun ...

thagrol

Re: Having issue with Raspbian Stretch Lite and SD card/boot partition?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm

MachineX wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 am

When plugging in the SD card via a USB adapter, Windows pops up asking if I want to format.
Would that be windows 10? If so, it's probably trying to open the ext4 partition, which it doesn't recognise so it asks to format it.

There was a change a few months back from the old behaviour (only mount the first partition on the SD card) to mounting all partitions on the SD card. This change applies to all external drives not just SD cards.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “Raspbian”