laughterofelijah

Re: [HowTo!] Smooth youtube 1080p in Chromium

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Hey ztealmax,

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into optimizing Chromium on the Pi. I have been comparing the different customizations that you've pasted in the most recent one you have:

--ppapi-flash-args=enable_stage_stagevideo_auto=0

But on the others you have:

--ppapi-flash-args=enable_stagevideo_auto=0

Which one is correct?

Also, in the most recent one you have --enable-quic but on others it's --disable-quic.

What's the reason for the change? (curious).

Last question (for this post anyway =P). Should all these options be visible in chrome://flags?

Kind Regards and thanks again for keeping at this.

ztealmax

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi thank you for your kind response if you give me a until later saturday ill check whats correct or what i think is correct and why i did changes
also will respond to all your questions

Stay tuned for response :)

Sincerally
Martin aka "Ztealmax"
Last edited by ztealmax on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjan

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 am

btw, how to set it up to vivaldi?

laughterofelijah

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30 pm

ztealmax wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm
Hi thank you for your kind response if you give me a until later saturday ill check whats correct or what i think is correct and why i did changes
also will respond to all your questions

Stay tuned for response :)

Sincerally
Martin aka "Ztealmax"
Thanks for the added effort! I've noticed that some YT channels play fine at 1080p while others stutter. Even some light overclocking of all components (CPU, GPU. RAM, SD Card) hasn't helped.

I'm using a Samsung EVO+ UH-3 card and have setup a 1GB swap file as well so I'm hoping that the chromium customizations will smooth things out.

ztealmax

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Working on it now doing a fresh install

Can you link whats stutter?

/Martin aka Ztealmax

laughterofelijah

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:32 pm

ztealmax wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Working on it now doing a fresh install

Can you link whats stutter?

/Martin aka Ztealmax
Good afternoon Martin!

The videos on this guy's channel stutter. (https://youtu.be/AjzwsyPf-i0)

I watched a tutorial in 1080p for OpenBox though and it was fine. (https://youtu.be/247Y6nh93I4)

I did (and still do) have the FULL OpenGL driver enabled with 128MB dynamic memory assigned to the video card. Increasing to 192MB didn't help.

I keep being impressed with what this little piece of kit can do. I'm wanting to get these setup so that they are usable by my kids. Laptops/tablets are too expensive to hand over to them and I feel like the Pi is a great option for them. The software selection is good, Raspbian is approachable and easy to use and the community support is second to none.

Many thanks!

stuartiannaylor

Thu May 02, 2019 4:05 am

The 2nd vid has so much big areas of static video the vid compressor has prob a much lighter load.
The sources when you click on the youtube video setting shows that they are 1080p and yeah you get micro stutters as 1080p just pushes Chromium vids too far.
Do a search in chrome web store as there maybe vids that will need VLC to run smooth with hardware acceleration (open in vlc) makes it easy.
720p things are sweet and much is still at that level but some of the higher resolutions nearing 1080p 60hz VLC is a better option.

laughterofelijah

Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 pm

stuartiannaylor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:05 am
The 2nd vid has so much big areas of static video the vid compressor has prob a much lighter load.
The sources when you click on the youtube video setting shows that they are 1080p and yeah you get micro stutters as 1080p just pushes Chromium vids too far.
Do a search in chrome web store as there maybe vids that will need VLC to run smooth with hardware acceleration (open in vlc) makes it easy.
720p things are sweet and much is still at that level but some of the higher resolutions nearing 1080p 60hz VLC is a better option.

I've tried grabbing the URL for a YT video and putting it into VLC but VLC crashes and disappears. I may have to just settle for 720p and call it a day.

stuartiannaylor

Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Yeah the memory block allocation of VC4 acceleration only seems to like it full screen.
Its a prob for raspberry as it doesn't really do what it says on the tin, but there are workarounds.

ztealmax

Thu May 09, 2019 6:07 am

Sorry about late posting, im still working on sorting it all out
testing with both vc4 and pure gles, no luck so far however looking for a good IM so we can talk directly
and try it out on two sides, sadly i have work all week ;) but free this weekend ill let you know how we proceed :)

Sincerally
M

Rascas

Thu May 09, 2019 7:41 am

Hardware video acceleration in Chromium 72 is kind of broken. No matter what you do in the flags, it won't work smooth. Downgrade to Chromium 65.

ztealmax

Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 pm

It do work actually but not with certain video encoding as stated above ill get back the weekend

But Will check differences with 65 and 72 :)

Rascas

Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm

ztealmax wrote:
It do work actually but not with certain video encoding as stated above ill get back the weekend

It is confirmed by many people, video performance on 72 is much worse than in 65. For example:
viewtopic.php?t=237578

ztealmax

Fri May 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Rascas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm
ztealmax wrote:

It is confirmed by many people, video performance on 72 is much worse than in 65. For example:
viewtopic.php?t=237578
Ok but i havent noticed any problems so far with streaming videos except the link i got above,
thats why i said i will check difference between 65 and 72 me myself is running pure GL|ES setup.

Thank you for letting me know

ztealmax

Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Been testing this for a bit now and it seems to be working fine using chromium v72 and following chromium vars:

Code: Select all

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-one-copy-rasterizer --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-checker-imaging --enable-quic --site-per-process --enable-tcp-fastopen --disable-features=MaterialDesignBookmarks --disable-gpu-compositing --enable-fast-unload --enable-experimental-canvas-features --enable-scroll-prediction --answers-in-suggest --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-args=enable_stagevideo_auto=0 --ppapi-flash-version= --max-tiles-for-interest-area=512 --num-raster-threads=4 --default-tile-height=512"
and it works good with this youtube clip as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzwsyP ... e=youtu.be

Observe im using GL|ES not VC4, but should work with VC4 also.

Sincerally
Martin aka Ztealmax

Rascas

Sat May 18, 2019 1:59 pm

ztealmax wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 pm
Been testing this for a bit now and it seems to be working fine using chromium v72 and following chromium vars:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-one-copy-rasterizer --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-checker-imaging --enable-quic --site-per-process --enable-tcp-fastopen --disable-features=MaterialDesignBookmarks --disable-gpu-compositing --enable-fast-unload --enable-experimental-canvas-features --enable-scroll-prediction --answers-in-suggest --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-args=enable_stagevideo_auto=0 --ppapi-flash-version= --max-tiles-for-interest-area=512 --num-raster-threads=4 --default-tile-height=512"
and it works good with this youtube clip as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzwsyP ... e=youtu.be

Observe im using GL|ES not VC4, but should work with VC4 also.

Sincerally
Martin aka Ztealmax
Doesn't work good. No matter what flags you pass, if you turn on "stats for nerds" you will see lots of frame skipping. v65 works much better.

Also, use the legacy proprietary broadcom driver, the VC4 drivers won't have hardware acceleration at all.

ztealmax

Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 am

To be honest i dont have any problems it just works for me full 1080p without any studdering also tried vc4 now
and it also works for me (Dont remember if i had to remove "--ignore-gpu-blacklist" to get it to work will get back about this).

The link you gave is a kernel upgrade that impacted Chromium v72 as the post said and it helped by using v65 instead
viewtopic.php?t=237578 i forgot to check what kernel im on, i will do that and report back!

All i can do is repport my experience and how i perceive it working.

And yes i also prefer legacy GL|ES.

I Havent been checkin "Stats for nerds" but what i have been looking for is a smooth experience with no Visual studdering and
clean viewing and no visable caching or screen tearing.

Bu tyou might be right that v65 is faster and better, however i havent noticed anything different up to now but can test again.

My setup is and what i have tried this on using 2019-04-08-raspbian-stretch-lite.img with icewm setup
I havent upgraded from Jessie to Stretch this was a Clean install:

Im using this as my power: Linocell 3.0 A and only connected items to usb is
usb dongle for Logitech mouse and keyboard and when testing ssd and/or external audio that is also connected.
Tested this with both Wifi and Lan.

Setup 1: Works for me!
Raspberry Pi 3 / Raspberry Pi 3B+ / Raspberry Pi 3 A+
32GB Samsung Evo Plus microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I
Power Linocell 3 A USB
192Mb VRam
1024Mb Swap
Internal audio / External Audio tested seperatly
GL|ES/VC4 Tested on both drivers

Setup 2: Works for me!
256Gb Samsung SSD external usb
Power Linocell 3 A USB
192Mb VRam
1024Mb Swap

Setup 3: Didnt work! - lot of caching and studdering this to it being a slow MicroSD
16Gb SanDisk Flash-Memorycard microSDHC
Power Linocell 3 A USB
192Mb VRam
1024Mb Swap

Setup 4: Didnt work!
16GB Toshiba M203 microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card
Power Linocell 3 A USB
192Mb VRam
1024Mb Swap
Internal audio

Setup 4: Works for me!
16GB Toshiba M203 microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card
Power Linocell 3 A USB
192Mb VRam
1024Mb Swap
External audio!

I havent been triying out it on the Zero W Think its a bit slow for this.

What i also did that i have forgoten to add to this is i changed swap up to 1024Mb, not sure if that did anything at all
but its one of my setings.

sudo nano /etc/dphys-swapfile  
change:

CONF_SWAPSIZE=100
to

CONF_SWAPSIZE=1024
Then restart

sudo /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile restart
I will try and test the full Raspbian desktop to see if there is any problems with that, might be something in the setup there that
makes it not work as good ill report back.

GL|ES = OpenGL ES is the legacy driver
VC4 = OpenGL full driver

kroop

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi, first post...

I've been trying to run embedded full screen html5 HD video for a while now, I'm currently using Vimeo instead of youtube, but the observations are similar.

I'm using Chromium-browser 72.0.3626.121 on Raspbian lite, starting it with Xinit into a kiosk mode. I've set 192mb GPU memory and full KMS openGL driver is enabled. I've tried pretty much everything here, and noticed only param making much difference is the --ignore-gpu-blacklist, after which the video is running smooth, but it stucks for a .5 secs after every 3-5 seconds. Sometimes I get up to 10 seconds of smooth playback.

It's like some buffer is getting full all the time. I've tried with ethernet cable, didn't make any difference. I also tried the /etc/dphys-swapfile change suggested by by ztealmax, but it didn't make any difference either. All suggestions are very much welcome.

So it's this simple:

chromium-browser --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-webgl --incognito --kiosk https://url.com
And really close of being perfect :)

ztealmax

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Hmm try and change pagefile to something like 2Gb, and you could also try fiddling around with chomiums cache settings, me myself isnt home yet but if you want i can try and do a setup like yours and test it during weekend let me know / Martin

kroop

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:13 am

Hi, after some more testing I'm not sure even the ignore-gpu-blacklist makes much difference.. Anyhow my setup is pretty simple if you want to try it out, I'll add a test site there as well.

Just plain raspbian lite, update & upgrade, xinit and chromium-browser 72 installed.
edit ~user/.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root|grep Width | awk '{ print $2}'`
HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root|grep Height | awk '{ print $2}'`
xset s off
xset s noblank
xset -dpms
exec chromium-browser --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-webgl --window-size=$WIDTH,$HEIGHT --window-position=0,0 --incognito --kiosk https://www.comnisolutions.com/htvtest/3/
startx

Return to “Raspbian”