pygmy_giant
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 pm

thanks - will anything bad happen if I turn it up to 11?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

sghazagh
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm

I have used "Apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and everything went well but after reboot it is not coming up!

Please help :(

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:18 pm

My SqueezePlug image is still running using the Squeeze distro. I assume these updates won't work with this?

birdman
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 am
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm

FYI: My RasPi is running BOINC (so runs flat out all of the time..)

The BOINC benchmarks are:

Code: Select all

===Original:
Measured floating point speed   233.92 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed          917.99 million ops/sec
=== with medium overclock
Measured floating point speed   315.36 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed          1209.8 million ops/sec
And 50 mins after reboot:

Code: Select all

[raspi]: uptime; perl freqtemp.pl 
 23:36:30 up 54 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.03, 0.97
CPU is at 900 MHz and at 53.0 C

Skizz
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Just tried to upgrade my RaspPi. It's currently running the wheezy install.

When I do an upgrade, two firmware related packages fail with "Hash Sum mismatch" errors. I did the --fix-missing option as the apt-get suggested but it made no difference. Anyone any ideas what's going on?

thsBavR10
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for this update!
I followed all the steps as in the first post.
Unfortunately WiFi did not started automatically as expected.
* Create a desktop icon for wpa_gui with `cp /usr/share/applications/wpa_gui.desktop ~/Desktop`
For completeness it should be added in the description that wpa_gui should be performed at least once in LXDE (scanning, re-adding network).

However, thank you for the continuous development!

User avatar
Robert_M
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 am

pygmy_giant wrote:thanks - will anything bad happen if I turn it up to 11?
Only if you consider having your hair grow out to appropriately head-banging lengths and all your pants turning to Spandex a bad thing.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 am

Awesome news,

This worked for me.

Code: Select all

sudo su
apt-get update
rpi-update
apt-get install raspi-config
reboot
then run

Code: Select all

raspi-config
to see the new options on overclocking.

My only concern (maybe iam old fashioned), this ARM is happy with 85'c as a threshold?
What about heat transferring to the PCB and other parts of the unit?

I've got mine running at 800mhz (now on demand which is great) and it sits at 41'c idle.
Previously it ran at stock 700mhz at 36'c idle.
Cant beat the good-olde UK weather ;)

Regarding the usb 10% increase fix, has anyone been able to verify this with testing?
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

Boomer
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 am

Thanks for doing this for everyone. I used the upgrade command listed on the blog to update. Dumb question, since I used the upgrade command do I have to go back and manually add the audio and wifi changes highlighted in the first post or did all of that happen automatically through the upgrade? Afraid to screw anything up.

Thanks!

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 am

With all the changes, i needed a way to get the cpu temp/freq up a little quicker.
Hopefully a useful shortcut for terminal users.

Code: Select all

alias cpu="/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp && cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq"
Will show the following when you type cpu:
- Current CPU temp
- Current CPU freq


This will only work for current session. If you want to save this shortcut for future reboots, add the alias to the bash.bashrc in etc:

Code: Select all

 sudo nano /etc/bash.bashrc
then add the following to the bottom:

Code: Select all

#-------------------------#
# ALIASSES - CPUinfo      #
#-------------------------#
alias cpu="/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp && cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq"
ctrl+x , say "y" to changes.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

User avatar
Dweeber
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:57 am

asb wrote:
Dweeber wrote: Is there a non-GUI version of the WiFi Config?

I use my RPi's primarily via SSH (HDMI, WiFi, NO Ethernet, Keyboard if necessary, No mouse) I almost never use startx. My experimental RPi with a breadboard etc... doesn't have a keyboard or monitor at all.

If WiFi is not working, I have to sit in a hard to work area with a keyboard in one hand typing using the other. I could VNC in, but if the network isn't setup, that is not possible.
Once you've done the wifi setup once, it's saved and will come back on reboot. WiFi Config is just a shortcut to wpagui (not the most friendly UI for wireless configuration, but we had problems with resource consumption with network-manager and wicd). wpa_cli would be an obvious alternative for you.
Is there a location where I can put the "saved" wifi setup without actually doing it? Once I lose network, I am kinda stuck with a keyboard and no mouse to do startx to do the wpagui. Not sure if I can navigate without a mouse.

BTW... I did create symbolic links to

Code: Select all

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
to the /boot directory so that if I have to, I can edit them when mounted in a windows box.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 am

Has anyone had any luck running Quake3 with overclocked settings using the latest firmware? Any setting other than stock (ie. no overclock/powersave governor) seems to cause a reboot as soon as I begin a map (the game starts OK, I can choose options etc. but just as it's loaded all the assets, it reboots).

I've got a decent 2A power supply (from an HP/Palm Touchpad) and last time I tested TP1/TP2 I had no power issues.

I've tried two pre-built Quake3 binaries, plus one I built myself compiled on this latest 2012-09-18 Raspbian, with ARM/Core/SDRam/Over-voltage settings of 1000/500/450/6 without any problem in 41 minutes (SDRam @ 500 would cause a panic during boot, as soon as the governor switched to ondemand). Max temp at 1000Mhz was 60C.

At the moment I've got the following settings at the end of config.txt, and Quake3 *still* causes a reboot:

Code: Select all

...
#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
#core_freq=300
#sdram_freq=300
over_voltage=6
That's a pretty rubbish overclock... so I'm hoping something else is wrong! :)

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 am

Curiously, it seems to be over_voltage that is causing the instability.

I can run Quake3 just fine with arm_freq=750 (and no other config.txt settings), but as soon as I add over_voltage=6 to config.txt (same arm_freq=750), Quake3 will crash when starting a map...

Since I can run the Pi at high ARM frequencies with non-GPU related loads, could there be a problem/glitch with the way the GPU is handling the increased voltage?

Or could it just be my SoC that can't handle the full 1.2V...

User avatar
Dweeber
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 am

Dweeber wrote:
asb wrote:
Dweeber wrote: Is there a non-GUI version of the WiFi Config?

I use my RPi's primarily via SSH (HDMI, WiFi, NO Ethernet, Keyboard if necessary, No mouse) I almost never use startx. My experimental RPi with a breadboard etc... doesn't have a keyboard or monitor at all.

If WiFi is not working, I have to sit in a hard to work area with a keyboard in one hand typing using the other. I could VNC in, but if the network isn't setup, that is not possible.
Once you've done the wifi setup once, it's saved and will come back on reboot. WiFi Config is just a shortcut to wpagui (not the most friendly UI for wireless configuration, but we had problems with resource consumption with network-manager and wicd). wpa_cli would be an obvious alternative for you.
Is there a location where I can put the "saved" wifi setup without actually doing it? Once I lose network, I am kinda stuck with a keyboard and no mouse to do startx to do the wpagui. Not sure if I can navigate without a mouse.

BTW... I did create symbolic links to

Code: Select all

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
to the /boot directory so that if I have to, I can edit them when mounted in a windows box.
Hooked up the hub, mouse... used StartX to setup the WiFi.... not nearly as easy as a simple cmd line command... In any case WiFi working.

I think I know where and what to change to create a simple script to do it now though....

However, lost the ability to play mp4's again. 2nd time an update has inexplicably caused this to happen. I can hear sound, but no picture. I can also hear it shuddering which it wasn't doing before the upgrade.

Might have to start with a fresh install..... loss of a lot of time... Still a development product of course...

Anyone else lose video output after upgrading?

BTW I did try moderate overclocking after the video test... no change, put it back to none no change. reboots between tries.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

User avatar
Dweeber
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 am

More info.

I checked the network connection (WiFi) and it is right about where it was when I did benchmarking before the update. so that is not an issue as I thought it was...

However, there are problems...

Issuing these commands:

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

All lock up and never return. They used to work before the upgrade. Have to ^C to get out of them

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
Returns 700000

Looks like something is messed up internally which is causing problems.

Network access, (ssh, NFS etc) seems fine however.

I checked over the config.txt file to see if there were any change I would not have expected and don't see any. decode keys are there etc...

**Another Reboot**

I did another Reboot (4th or 5th time) and now everything seems to be working...

The only change I made before this reboot was to commented out the following two lines in config.txt at the end..

Code: Select all

#core_freq=250
#over_voltage=0


All the commands that I reported at the top are now working.

Code: Select all

CPU Info
Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 697.95
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 0002
Serial          : 000000004ca1####
--------------------------------------
VCGenCMD Version
Sep 18 2012 01:45:34 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 337601 (release)

scaling_cur_freq
700000

temp=129.38'F (54.1'C)

MPG2=enabled
WVC1=enabled
omxplayer now is working as well.
Last edited by Dweeber on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

binoyxj
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:49 am

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 am

sghazagh wrote:I have used "Apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and everything went well but after reboot it is not coming up!

Please help :(
Make sure you execute this after update n upgrade,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi* raspi-config

outsider
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 am

Frank B wrote:Hi,

i'm having SD-Card problems again. The both previous raspbian-images worked perfect, with this image i get sd-card errors:

Code: Select all

[  198.620419] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  208.648726] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  208.649888] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  219.733927] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  229.748701] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  229.749870] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  235.849829] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  245.868729] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  245.869895] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  247.573302] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  257.588712] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  257.589920] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  266.429275] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  276.448702] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  276.449877] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  287.235896] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  297.248701] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  297.249875] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
Tested with Sandisk Ultra 2GB II & Sandisk Class 4 4GB, Samsung Class 6 8 GB

Frank
I also seem to be getting these errors when I overclock

blavery
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:57 am
Location: QLD. Australia

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am

What a great update!! Thank you.

One little thing seems to have crept back in -- that so-awful "Other" category on the lxde menu. I managed to kill it off again by commenting away the "Other" para in /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu. Otherwise, VERY happy 950MHz lad here.

User avatar
malakai
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 am

Getting this error when trying to overclock have run all the updates, upgrades:

update-rc.d: warning: switch_cpu_governor start runlever arguments (2 3 4 5) do not match LSB Default-Start values (S)
update-rc.d: warning: switch_cpu_governor stop runlever arguments (0 1 6) do not match LSB Default-Start values (none)

I did get original image off BerryBoot Installer is it possible I am running the soft float will this make the difference?

uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27-cutdown- aufs #7 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 I assume this is the soft-float based on the date.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am

malakai: It's a harmless warning.

EDIT: at least the update-rc.d bit is. That isn't the right kernel though.

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 am

outsider wrote:
Frank B wrote:Hi,

i'm having SD-Card problems again. The both previous raspbian-images worked perfect, with this image i get sd-card errors:

Code: Select all

[  198.620419] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  208.648726] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  208.649888] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  219.733927] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  229.748701] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  229.749870] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  235.849829] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  245.868729] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  245.869895] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  247.573302] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  257.588712] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  257.589920] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  266.429275] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  276.448702] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  276.449877] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
[  287.235896] mmc0: final write to SD card still running
[  297.248701] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
[  297.249875] mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0x900
Tested with Sandisk Ultra 2GB II & Sandisk Class 4 4GB, Samsung Class 6 8 GB

Frank
I also seem to be getting these errors when I overclock
Me to, overclock corrupts my SD card (config.txt edit's itself...). This issue was solved for a while but it seems to be back? Card= Transcend 8gb class 10

User avatar
malakai
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
Contact: Website

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

asb wrote:malakai: It's a harmless warning.

EDIT: at least the update-rc.d bit is. That isn't the right kernel though.
Thanks that's what I was thinking I didn't have much time to setup today just got them in the mail wish the berryboot would give more options it was a convenient way to install maybe need to make it clear as troubleshooting wheezy seems harder when there are 2 kernels out there with the same name.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

azbest_hu
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am

Is there a kernel-source package that is in sync with the actual kernel of the current raspbian kernel binary?

I know the source is on github, and I read how to find out the right revision from github.
Also I found a required file here:
https://raw.github.com/raspberrypi/firm ... le.symvers

But its not from the same day as the current kernel binary. It would be nice if we would be able to install the right kernel source (or at least headers, Module.symvers) with apt-get.

I try to install current media tree, but it requires Module.symvers, too.
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_t ... ce_Drivers

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5343
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

Dweeber wrote:However, lost the ability to play mp4's again. 2nd time an update has inexplicably caused this to happen. I can hear sound, but no picture. I can also hear it shuddering which it wasn't doing before the upgrade.
What memory split are you on?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5343
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am

Ed Raket wrote:Me to, overclock corrupts my SD card (config.txt edit's itself...). This issue was solved for a while but it seems to be back? Card= Transcend 8gb class 10
Is this from an updated older image, or a new intall?
It could be the corruption happened from an older kernel, and you are just seeing the result when you try writing to the boot partition.
A reimage (or format the FAT partion, then copy the files back on) may help.

Return to “Raspbian”