markem

Large, (128GB) SSD install

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 pm

I'll preface this by saying that the following link has worked for me in the past but now seems a no-go. I've used it to install Raspian on a Zero and a 2. I'm attempting to install it on a 3 for student use. I've also GFTS'd (google for the string) like mad.

I'm following these instructions: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md

Everything works as advertised until I go to boot. Then I get an odd reformatting error for FAT and it seems to just loop forever (I'm only testing for 36 hours, tho).

What is the way to get Raspian with the latest whiz-bang GUI running on a 128 GB SSD? It's trivial for 16GB but I need to support several hundred college students doing OS development under QEMU.

thanks!
--mark
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

HawaiianPi

Re: Large, (128GB) SSD install

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 am

That guide should still work. The main point is that the SD Card Formatter tool from the SD Association will format cards over 32GB as exFAT, so you need to use the GUI Fat32 Formatter tool from Ridgecrop Consulting for 64GB and larger cards before installing NOOBS.

If the card has previously had an OS installed, then you need to use the SD Card Formatter first, with the size adjustment option on, and then you need to reformat it with GUIformat (GUI version of Fat32Format).

And all of the above only applies to installing NOOBS.

If you want to use one of the Raspbian images, you can write it directly to the card, regardless of prior formatting, because the images contain their own file systems. For Raspbian images, use Win32DiskImager or Etcher to write the SD card.

If none of this helps you probably have a fake 128GB card.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

markem

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:10 am

Thank you, HawaiianPi. It has been taking 4 hours to download the image out here in the wilds of Oregon (I'm just south of you on Cooper Mtn.) but I went back and got the image again. Win32DiskImager did the right thing and now I am up and running. The last image didn't work for me and I now suspect some corruption.

I will have to get another SSD to see what is happening with NOOBS.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

HawaiianPi

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:15 am

markem wrote:...The last image didn't work for me and I now suspect some corruption.
The downloads have an associated sha1 hash (checksum) that you can verify to make sure the file you got is correct. Linux has hashing functions included, but Windows does not. However, there is a really great little Windows shell extension called HashCheck that adds that functionality. It works well, and it's open source. There is also a commercial one called HashTab that is free for personal use.

B.Goode

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 am

Are we discussing an SSD Solid State Device/Disc or an SDXC microSD storage card?

puccaso

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Are we discussing an SSD Solid State Device/Disc or an SDXC microSD storage card?
good question. I'm thinking the same.
I also want to install on a 128GB SSD but should i be formatting an 128GB SSD as msdos format?

drgeoff

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

puccaso wrote:
B.Goode wrote:
good question. I'm thinking the same.
I also want to install on a 128GB SSD but should i be formatting an 128GB SSD as msdos format?
Forget NOOBS. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image. No need to format.

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

drgeoff wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Forget NOOBS. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image. No need to format.
+1

I've done that several times on both SSD and HDD and it has worked well for me.

Grab the latest Raspbian image from here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Grab the Etcher image writing software from here: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Use Etcher to write the image to your SSD (same as you would for an SD card). Write it directly from the .zip download (don't extract the image first), and verify the SHA256 hash of the download if you have any trouble.

Depending on the size of the card or drive, you may need to select Unsafe mode in settings (normally Etcher won't write to large capacity devices, as it assumes you have selected the wrong drive).

After Etcher successfully writes and verifies the SSD it will be ready to boot on a Pi 3B+ (or a 3B that has the USB boot OTP bit programmed).

If you need a USB-SATA adapter, I've had very good luck with this USB3-SATA3 adapter cable from ELUTENG. It has worked with several different brands of SSD and a WD 500GB HDD I harvested from an old laptop (both my Pi3B and 3B+ boot and reboot correctly with the drives powered form the Pi USB ports using the official PSU).

LTolledo

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm

drgeoff wrote: Forget NOOBS. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image. No need to format.
+2
installed Raspbian Stretch on 240GB SSD and 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5"HDD using image flashed by Etcher.
so simple.... no worries....and just plain works!

cable used is SATA to USB3.0 adaptor, by Eluteng and Inatek, using chipsets from ASM (like the ASM1153E)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

n67

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Forget NOOBS and Etcher. Use PINN to write the Raspbian image. No need to format.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

fbe

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 pm

You can't use PINN unless it's running. It is running on a Raspberry Pi only and you need a drive, that is formatted with a suitable file system, to make it run.

If the solution doesn't work, the problem is wrong. When in doubt, use Etcher.

jahboater

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pm

puccaso wrote:
Don't format it at all.
+3 to the posts saying use a simple Raspbain image from
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
and forget NOOB's ever existed.

Return to “Raspbian”