Alexander Brown

webkit2gtk getting old

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Ok so I know why/how this happened but it's increasingly an issue.

Some context: In 2014 the Pi2 was still a way off (hard to imagine it's all so recent) so we were all sitting with our Pi & Pi+ getting to that inevitable point where you just need to Google something. The problem was that there was simply no good way to browse the web. Chromium was already far few versions behind and firefox / iceweasel had (and still do) shocking performance. Sure it ran but it wasn't great.

So the Pi Foundation and Collabora forked epiphany-browser and optimised it with various tweaks and GPU wizardry. All was well (unless you wanted twitter & facebook). See https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/web-browser-released/.

The Problem: it hasn't been updated since the wheezy days and remains with epiphany-browser and all it's many and varied dependencies are still at their 3.8 levels. Not Good. Okay, so I know Debian (on which Raspbian is based) has a bizarre update policy ai can live with that, sure it would be nice to move past Gtk3.14 but it's not a major problem. The fact that all the GNOME applications are at their 3.14 levels and Epiphany 3.8 is. You see each release's dependencies are interlinked so you now find that DevHelp 3.14's documentation is actually stored as HTML files and has had it's WebKit dependances marked at roughly the same as those of Epiphany 3.14. The problem? 3.8 is older than 3.14.

So all of a sudden devhelp is broken as are quite a few other packages.

Another problem is that the web moves fast and sites are updated to reflect the latest technologies. Unfortunately, that means we are no longer able to access GitHub's clone menu for example.

While I don't want the work done the be lost and don't really want to make work for someone else. WebKit really needs to be brought up to date and preferably the epiphany-browser shell as well.

Although I really don't have the knowledge to pull this off I would have given it a try but I've been unable to locate a Git anywhere.

Thanks,
Alexander Brown
I am

fruitoftheloom

Re: webkit2gtk getting old

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm

KWEB uses the WebKit Engine and the developer has voiced concerns, read the long thread:

viewtopic.php?t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....

kusti8

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 pm

It's sort of failed. Currently, just use Chromium or Kweb or Firefox.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Alexander Brown

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Using another browser is fine for actually browsing it's more the fact that it's starting to break the likes of devhelp and the general security concerns. The Pi is becoming more of a every day workstation and browsing the web with the default browser people expect to 'just work' which regrettably it currently does not.
I am

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm pretty sure the sources for the raspberry pi foundation's hacked up versions of epiphany and webkit are in their apt repo.

Alexander Brown

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:43 am

not that I've ever found
I am

Alexander Brown

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:35 pm

ok so `apt-get source` does have a source package for epiphany-browser but for version 3.14, not the foundations 3.8 build.
I am

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Alexander Brown wrote:ok so `apt-get source` does have a source package for epiphany-browser but for version 3.14, not the foundations 3.8 build.
Epiphany Gnome Web Web Browser was further developed by Collabora:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/web-browser-released

http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... ny-browser

Alexander Brown

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:44 pm

You will notice all those debs are for 3.8 which is the version installed in the Raspbian image and it the latest available through apt.
I am

gkreidl

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 am

In order to create an accelerated webkit engine for Wheezy they had to upgrade and patch a lot of system libraries. They were never really updated for Jessie and none of the well known bugs have been fixed. And some packages are really broken.
The work was done by people from collabora and paid for by the Foundation. Maybe the Foundation simply stopped paying them. Getting some kind of official statement from the Foundation would be nice.
The collabora git repository is really a mess.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

m4r35n357

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:41 am

kusti8 wrote:It's sort of failed. Currently, just use Chromium or Kweb or Firefox.
Chromium is not in the repos . . .

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:58 am

m4r35n357 wrote:
kusti8 wrote:It's sort of failed. Currently, just use Chromium or Kweb or Firefox.
Chromium is not in the repos . . .
Quite correct, Debian ditched Chromium as it is not multi-architecture since version around 28.....

If you have a Raspberry Pi 2B or 3B and installed Raspbian Jessie then follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195

ab1jx

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:45 am

So this means I can't have devhelp? I don't care anything about Chromium. I'm just starting to mess around with Glade (again) and I thought devhelp would be handy but I do have it on an OpenBSD machine. I haven't tried on my amd64 Debian box.

I had to give up on an i386 Debian installation about 6 months ago because of broken packages I couldn't fix. Then I had wandered into testing, but this time the only thing I have in sources.list is:
http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi

I tried Arch and Centos, came back to Debian, determined to put on my blinders and follow their rules. And it still breaks.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 am

ab1jx wrote:So this means I can't have devhelp? I don't care anything about Chromium. I'm just starting to mess around with Glade (again) and I thought devhelp would be handy but I do have it on an OpenBSD machine. I haven't tried on my amd64 Debian box.

I had to give up on an i386 Debian installation about 6 months ago because of broken packages I couldn't fix. Then I had wandered into testing, but this time the only thing I have in sources.list is:

I tried Arch and Centos, came back to Debian, determined to put on my blinders and follow their rules. And it still breaks.
DevHelp I suppose you mean ? https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Devhelp

Totally confused what x86-32 and x86-64 architecture has to do with the Raspberry Pi Operating Systems ?

Raspbian as we have concurred has a broken patched webkit, so you have various choices:

RPi 2B & 3B

Ubuntu flavors
https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org

Debian ARMHF
http://perens.com/blog/2016/04/07/insta ... f-raspbian

Fedora
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=151274

RPi all models

ArchlinuxArm
https://archlinuxarm.org/

Alexander Brown

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:16 pm

ab1jx wrote:So this means I can't have devhelp? I don't care anything about Chromium. I'm just starting to mess around with Glade (again) and I thought devhelp would be handy but I do have it on an OpenBSD machine. I haven't tried on my amd64 Debian box.

Not sure what you're saying here but the try and answer:
You CANNOT use DevHelp on the current Raspbian Jessie
I am

ab1jx

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:15 pm

I don't expect to change hardware or operating systems, I'll just live without devhelp. Or use it on a machine where it works since I usually have 2 or 3 running anyway. I use my Pi mostly by VNC from an OpenBSD machine so far.

So generically webkit2gtk is mostly an HTML rendering engine, of which there are others, but they aren't interchangeable. So devhelp has an obsolete dependency, I'd say that's as much their fault as Raspberry Pi's. They could probably change it so building it with say Gecko, was an option. Or if webkit2gtk is based on GTK 2 have a GTK 3 version. Using Glade is just a whim on my part, Lazarus or FLTK are other possibilities. Oh well, so it's not something I broke, that's what I was worried about.

Alexander Brown

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:37 pm

webkit2gtk is not obsolete! it's still actively developed (in many ways even more so than DevHelp) the problem is the version available in Raspbian is obsolete.
I am

gkreidl

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Alexander Brown wrote:webkit2gtk is not obsolete! it's still actively developed (in many ways even more so than DevHelp) the problem is the version available in Raspbian is obsolete.
It's not obsolete, it has just broken dependencies (the version in archive.raspberrypi.org). There is another version with the so-called 4.0 APi in the Raspbian archive which is not broken. If devhelp could be recompiled against it it might work.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Alexander Brown

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

In the world of web development a 3 year old rendering engine could easily be argued as obsolete. And having such an old package hanging around is breaking others (like DevHelp)
I am

gkreidl

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Alexander Brown wrote:In the world of web development a 3 year old rendering engine could easily be argued as obsolete. And having such an old package hanging around is breaking others (like DevHelp)
devhelp is compiled against the current webkit2gtk-3.0. version and would work with it if the dependencies of the webkit2 library (the matching javascript library) would work. It's one of the bad results of the webkit3/epiphany patches.

levelcrow

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Have you guys seen this?

http://dabase.com/blog/Webkit_on_Rpi2/

What do you guys think of what's there? It seems like the OpenGL driver is getting more and more complete every day. Eric recently finished implementing NIR bypassing TGSI, something he mentioned doing at his FOSDEM presentation in January 2015. It looks like performance gains weren't as expected and there's some polishing to be done, but that's a major aspect of the OpenGL driver now set in its foundations.

The driver definitely isn't ready for backwards compatible ARMv6 friendly Raspbian - at least not the version included in Raspbian today. I tried out the driver using a CMA of 128mb on my Raspberry Pi 1B and there was definitely some slowdown in window dragging. But Eric Anholt seems like he knows what he's doing and his productivity is looking great! As a bystander, I'd guess that the OpenGL driver will eventually reach and surpass the current graphics stack and become adopted as the standard by Raspbian.

Maybe at that point, webkit2 will be updated with accelerated compositing? Does anyone know if the current packages are being built with desktop OpenGL enabled?

What do you think gkreidl? Could that be a significant gain with respect to Kweb performance?

gkreidl

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 pm

As far as I can see (from the documentation) hardware accelerated compositing is not supported yet. And I'm not sure if it would really make a difference. The only thing that would be changing is support for WebGL.
But as long as the OpenGL driver keeps all other GPU support (omxplayer, gst-omx, other 3D software like Pi3D) from working I cannot and will not even test it. It would make all my RPis unusable. And I don't need any fancy 3D effects on my desktop and who is really using 3D software? But many games would profit from it.

Return to “Raspbian”