rasp14

Jessie Lite 2016-02-09 dhclient issue cause RPi Hang?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:28 am

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone encounter this. I have a RPi model B+. Just did a clean install using jessie lite 2016-02-09. My Pi hangs after i tethered to my android phone once. What i did was simple enter code below to begin tethering

Code: Select all

sudo dhclient -v
and then i was able to connect to internet and did apt-get update and upgrade. Once i rebooted my Pi it can boot into command line and it was non-responsive after that (No respond on keyboard input). No success on attempts to connect to Pi through wireless and LAN. Tried to ping from my Pi from a PC through a router and get no respond, router not detecting my Pi as well. Wifi dongle no longer blinking. As if the entire Pi network interface is down.

I did another clean install after that to troubleshoot what is the issue. I was able to connect to my Pi again after the clean install. I tried to replicate what i did the first time and then.. BAM! My Pi hang again. It seems like once i hit dhclient -v everything goes wrong from that moment. Really appreciate any help on this.

Regards.

rasp14

Re: Jessie Lite 2016-02-09 dhclient issue cause RPi Hang?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi All,

Here is an update what i did, i tried to install full jessie using the image "2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.zip" to my Pi. Successfully booted and i was able to SSH into my Pi. But after 1 minute, my Pi hang again, i see solid LAN light from my Pi, wifi dongle stopped responding (no blinking light), i was not able to get any respond when pinged my Pi. This time i haven't get to start dhclient and it already hang.

From what i can see now, there are 2 possible root cause:
1. Something wrong with the latest image file (2016-02-09 image file)
2. My Pi board is fried... :cry:

By the way i'm using the same power supply that proven working with my Pi using old images. I still see solid red light and random blinking green light when booting. It just stopped working after a short while...

Help. any advice is appreciated...

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:38 pm

I don't think it's 1 or 2. How are you determining that anything is hanging? It sounds like you're just dropping the network by launching another dhcp client. I am not entirely sure why you're doing it that way and what behaviour you're expecting, so I am afraid I can't be of much help here.

rasp14

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:51 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I don't think it's 1 or 2. How are you determining that anything is hanging? It sounds like you're just dropping the network by launching another dhcp client. I am not entirely sure why you're doing it that way and what behaviour you're expecting, so I am afraid I can't be of much help here.
Hi,

Thanks for taking time with my post. First of all I think we can drop the dhclient suspect, during my second attempt to troubleshoot with the latest full raspbian image, I didn't get far after boot. I didn't even get to launch dhclient then my Pi already hang.

What I mean by hang is, my Pi didn't respond to key press on keyboard, last line on screen just showing "pi@raspberrypi:~ $". Before I try to boot, I connected a working WiFi dongle and a LAN cable to my router so that i can access it via SSH when something unexpected happen. I leave a SSH session open as well on other computer shortly after boot. When it hang, my SSH session was disconnected and my Pi won't respond to any ping attempt from LAN or WiFi. My WiFi dongle have a blinking LED as well if it is working, that light also turn off when it hang. At that moment my Pi just showing solid red light and no blinking green light. Based on what I observed above, I determine that my Pi hang.

I continue my investigation with a older raspbian Jessie (2015 Nov). So far i can boot to my Pi with no problem and it is currently running apt-get dist-upgrade. I'll report back if I see any problem.

Appreciate if you can try to replicate my problem above on your end. I'm using Pi1 model B+ and i see this issue on the latest raspbian image. (2016 Feb) If you manage to replicate my problem probably you can tell what is the issue I'm facing.

Thanks.
Regards.

rasp14

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 am

Hi,

Another update, seems like several hours later my using the old raspbian image i once again hit into same issue. Except this time, i was able to see more stuff going on.

As i explained earlier, i thought my Pi hang and causing LAN and WiFi down. But that is not the case, the Pi is still running, i can still see the CPU load change constantly at 0 to 3%. The two things that are not working is USB and LAN.

I did further check on the forum and found this old post

viewtopic.php?t=5766

I fear that same thing happened to my board. What else i can do to fix this?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:04 pm

I wonder if the phone is drawing a lot of current and tripping the usb current limit. Is the behaviour any different if you put max_usb_current=1 in /boot/config.txt and reboot?

rasp14

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I wonder if the phone is drawing a lot of current and tripping the usb current limit. Is the behaviour any different if you put max_usb_current=1 in /boot/config.txt and reboot?
I didn't know I can set that. I'll definitely try that later.

In fact I suspect that my wall plug could be causing some sort of distortion / current surge in the board. I moved the entire board to other wall plug and boot it up. I didn't see the issue for at least 2 hours. I'll continue monitor and get back if I find anything.

Return to “Raspbian”