Giga_Pi

Re: [GUIDE] Raspbian Lite with RPD/LXDE/XFCE/MATE/i3/Openbox/X11 GUI

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am

Okay, with the release of buster, I had a few mixed emotions, with the desktops I could install.

Negative:

*KDE Plasma no longer works on Pi 4 or 3+

Positives:

*We have Gnome3
*We have Cinnamon

So not all bad.

With the two desktop enviroments that do work, It's best to use OpenGL, because without it, the desktop animations are really glitchy.

For gnome:

sudo apt install gnome gnome-shell

for cinnamon:

sudo apt install cinnamon

I found that cinnamon doesn't come with a login manager by defualt, so I usually install:

sudo apt install slick-greeter

It's basically lightDM, but it looks nicer (In my opinion)

Giga_Pi

gustavoFreire

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 pm

for me on raspberry pi 4 using gnome 3 is very laggy to use alongside with chromium, all css animations are a lot slower than when was on lxde, , besides that, my mouse seems slower than normal, videos on youtube even on 720p are slower than normal (dropping a lot of frames) and all the gnome3 animations are very slow (I also disabled the animation but I did not saw much of a difference) using the default openGl driver btw

Giga_Pi

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:35 am

gustavoFreire wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 pm
for me on raspberry pi 4 using gnome 3 is very laggy to use alongside with chromium, all css animations are a lot slower than when was on lxde, , besides that, my mouse seems slower than normal, videos on youtube even on 720p are slower than normal (dropping a lot of frames) and all the gnome3 animations are very slow (I also disabled the animation but I did not saw much of a difference) using the default openGl driver btw
Well, I must say, I tried gnome3 with a Raspberry Pi 3B+, and it worked fine. To be honest though, I think a lot of work is needed in order for the Pi 4 to run any good desktop enviroments at the moment.

What I'm basically getting at is that Gnome and KDE Plasma don't work anymore one the pi 4, but cinnamon seems to run fine (Currently waiting to get my microHDMI to VGA converter, so the I can enable the OpenGL, and disable overscan). I found that the 3B+ could run:

In Raspian Stretch:

*KDE Plasma

In Raspian Buster:

*Gnome
*Cinnamon
*Not KDE Plasma (Well, not in a state I would like anyway)
So, I'm hoping that the RPF might add a bit more support to the Heavier Desktop enviroments with The Raspberry Pi 4B.

We'll have to wait and see :)
Microsoft can't help their neighbors, that's bad, hackers, that's bad!

bjtheone

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 am

Its a teeny tiny little SBC that costs under $60 USD, with a processor that is significantly outgunned by most current middle to top tier smartphones.. It is never going to run the super heavy GUI environments that are built with higher end X86 laptops/desktops as targets. Its target audience and the target audience of maximum feature & eye candy desktops are not the same. It runs the really light desktops very well and the middling one completely acceptably. I have a bunch of older laptops that will not run the heavyweight desktops acceptably.

I am very happy with a 4B 4GB running Mate. It has noticeably better/smoother/faster performance than the laptop I was using as a primary computer before I got the 4B with a very similar setup (current Ubuntu with Mate). I think your expectations are not particularly well aligned with reality.

Giga_Pi

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 am

bjtheone wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 am
Its a teeny tiny little SBC that costs under $60 USD, with a processor that is significantly outgunned by most current middle to top tier smartphones.. It is never going to run the super heavy GUI environments that are built with higher end X86 laptops/desktops as targets. Its target audience and the target audience of maximum feature & eye candy desktops are not the same. It runs the really light desktops very well and the middling one completely acceptably. I have a bunch of older laptops that will not run the heavyweight desktops acceptably.

I am very happy with a 4B 4GB running Mate. It has noticeably better/smoother/faster performance than the laptop I was using as a primary computer before I got the 4B with a very similar setup (current Ubuntu with Mate). I think your expectations are not particularly well aligned with reality.
Nice point, and I completely understand your point. However a few facts remain:

1) KDE Plasma ran nicely on the Pi 3B+
2)The Pi 4 can now have 4GB. That's enough to run a heavy desktop. I've ran gnome3 and cinnamon on the Pi3B+ with the latest Raspbian buster, so the Pi4 definitely should.
3)We have very many new graphic upgrades with the new Pi. There is no reason for heavy desktops to not run. I've had KDE Plasma and Cinnamon run on my new Pi4, and it runs acceptably.

Since the 3B+, heavy desktop enviroments have been a thing for the raspberry pi, and can run on the Pi2 as well.

P.S. Sorry ghostraider, I think we've started a debate in your guide. I apologise sincerely

Giga_Pi

cjan

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 am

cjan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 am
Buster will ship gnome/wayland by default, so can we have guide for this(Pi4)?
and, maybe sway(i3) build tutorial?
did not try yet, myself(no pi4).
https://github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki/Deb ... stallation

bjtheone

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 am
1) KDE Plasma ran nicely on the Pi 3B+
2)The Pi 4 can now have 4GB. That's enough to run a heavy desktop. I've ran gnome3 and cinnamon on the Pi3B+ with the latest Raspbian buster, so the Pi4 definitely should.
3)We have very many new graphic upgrades with the new Pi. There is no reason for heavy desktops to not run. I've had KDE Plasma and Cinnamon run on my new Pi4, and it runs acceptably.

Since the 3B+, heavy desktop enviroments have been a thing for the raspberry pi, and can run on the Pi2 as well.
I understand and respect the forum's decisions about PMs but I do wish they were available. Some points of the debat are relevant to the guide, so....

I only have experience with the 3B+ and the 4B (a total newbie to the world of Pi). I have used Linux since the very very early days and ran most of the desktops. In my opinion, the 3B+ barely coped with "middle level" desktops like Mate, and what has becomes the baseline desktop app, a full featured browser. Potentially my expectations and hence judgment of acceptable is different that yours.

Given that I did not try a heavier, more graphics intensive desktop. That decision was based on performance experience on X86 desktops and laptops. The 4B runs Mate really well. Given that I was unimpressed with the performance of KDE or a full blown Gnome 3 desktop on an X86 platform with a old intel graphics solution, I did not expect the 4B would be any better and did not even try.

While the 4B may be much better/stronger/faster than a 3B, the absolute performance it offers is dwarfed by that of a current entry level chromebook, let alone a high end laptop with discrete graphics (like say a XPS 15).

Giga_Pi

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 pm

I don't get it. Really don't get it.

What really gets me, is that people say something like 'x86 computers are faster than Rpi's.'

I don't know what I am doing different, but I own a HP mini 110, and an Acer Aspire One ZG5, and both of them are no match to a Rpi3B+, let alone an Rpi4B. I'm not doing anything particuarly heavy either.

KDE plasma ran fine on the 3B+ back when stretch was the raspbian version. Now Gnome and Cinnamon run on the Pi 3B+, and all of the desktops mentioned run on a Pi 4.

I have never owned a single x64 laptop, so have good expeirience with x86, and an Rpi has always been faster for me.

If anything I have said rings untrue, I am happy to apologise and take what I said back.

Giga_Pi

cjan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:53 am

cjan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 am
cjan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 am
Buster will ship gnome/wayland by default, so can we have guide for this(Pi4)?
and, maybe sway(i3) build tutorial?
did not try yet, myself(no pi4).
https://github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki/Deb ... stallation
ok, try build sway this weekend on Rpi-2.
remove xserver* fbdev fbturbo etc. use FULL GL driver.
chromium youtube vlc(GL) lxterminal etc. all went well even cjk input method.
just like default raspbian do for my daily play.

ps. sway start mem using 148M.

Return to “Raspbian”