esbeeb

Raspbian Jessie Vs. Ubuntu MATE on the Pi 2

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:14 am

The latest episode of Linux Luddites (ep. 65) has a 20-minute review of Ubuntu MATE for the Pi 2, where they compare it to Raspbian Jesse. I enjoyed their insights, and I've become a fan of their show. Note: One of their hosts, Joe Ressington, also does "The Pi Podcast".

Spoilers (you've been warned):

- One host felt Ubuntu MATE "edged" ahead of Raspbian Jesse. Another host even "forgot" he was using a Pi 2 while using Ubuntu MATE (which is to say, it felt like using a "real computer", in the sense that it was only noticeably sluggish for him in a couple of situations during his review).

- They appreciated how Raspbian Jesse automatically resized the partition to take up the whole SD card, upon first boot, and you didn't need to go through any sort of new user account setup, before getting to a working desktop (on that first boot). Ubuntu MATE does things somewhat differently when you first flash it and start to use it.

- The speediness of launching and using apps seemed almost exactly the same in both distros.

Fidelius

Re: Raspbian Jessie Vs. Ubuntu MATE on the Pi 2

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:26 am

Users who're used to an Ubuntu desktop PC, will find Ubuntu (Mate) for the Pi² to be amazing indeed – it actually feels like a full-grown Ubuntu desktop machine, but just so much smaller and hence handier.

Typical desktop applications do run faster on Ubuntu compiled for ARM7, compared to Raspbian compiled for ARM6 (except the kernels, which are always for ARM7). I still didn't understand all the reasons for this speed-up, but well, who would want to complain about it.

Users who want the newest kernel and other bits from the Foundation, or who prefer a pure Debian over a Debian based Ubuntu, will find Raspbian to deliver it.

Since it's so easy to swap (µ-) SD-cards, we can have both (or three or more) operating systems at our hands.

Return to “Raspbian”