DougieLawson

Re: Jessie Q&A

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:17 am

davenull wrote:hey,
IMO it's confusing and annoying especially for beginners who are (completely) lacking of Linux skills that
a) for working with a wireless mouse one has to edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add usbhid.mousepoll=0, that's unreasonable!
b) all communication ports like UART, I2C (and SPI?) have to be enabled before one can use them (al least many (all?) tutorials say so) - enabled ports should be the default setting (especially for Raspi 2B)!
a) my wireless mouse works without that.
b) there's an option in sudo raspi-config (advanced menu) to enable that stuff. What's difficult about using that? The preferences GUI has the same options and does the same stuff.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

davenull

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 am

thanks, I never read anything about sudo raspi-config before, all tutorials about UART and I2C which I Knew so far explained just singe enabling.
Strange enough, but I'll try that immediately, thanks for your input.
Maybe one could put it into a more findable menu, perhaps even for the 1st initial system installation and configuration and then additionally by a properties menu in the menu bar.

About the mouse: it's already the 3rd mouse which I tried, 2 for the B+ and 1 for the 2B, and all those had a bad delay of a couple of seconds (mouse arrow extremely slow reacting and still moving when the mouse itself already was at standstill).
Asking about that I once was told that this was an old known issue so far...
Also in this case this setting should be at least optional by a setting in the mouse properties menu in the menu bar.

Anyway, now it can be fixed, but nevertheless: very confusing for complete newbies (like me) !
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

gordon77

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 am

to try and fix the slow mouse

add

usbhid.mousepoll=0

to the end of

/boot/cmdline.txt

gkreidl

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 am

davenull wrote:hey,
IMO it's confusing and annoying especially for beginners who are (completely) lacking of Linux skills that
a) for working with a wireless mouse one has to edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add usbhid.mousepoll=0, that's unreasonable!
b) all communication ports like UART, I2C (and SPI?) have to be enabled before one can use them (al least many (all?) tutorials say so) - enabled ports should be the default setting (especially for Raspi 2B)!
Nothing to do with Jessie (the same is true for Wheezy).
Some - but not all - wireless keyboard / mouse combos don't work with a slow poll rate - it's something like a bug in the hardware. Why should all users have to use a high poll rate (slowing down the system!) because of a bug in some hardware?
I didn't realize that it has been added as an option to raspi-config now.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

QuietZone

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:54 pm

This is not true of the UART port (the one on the GPIO pins).

It is shipped, ready to go.
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody come sit next to me." — Alice Roosevelt Longworth

davenull

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:10 pm

yes I stand corrected:
UART has to be disabled instead for another purpose, so just other way round, but even as weird ;)
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

yertiz

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:42 am

I have a periboard 509 plus mini trackball and keyboard which is a doddle to set up using the new GUI raspi config tool. Simply select United States as Country and English(US with euro on 5) and it works perfectly.

I recently downloaded the Jessie Light image and had planned to use the periboard for initial setup of an ultimately headless project. I was disappointed to find that the command line rapsi-config still uses the old approach of a list of manufacturers keyboards (which does not include the periboard!). I did try updating raspi-config but that did not help.

Is there any plan to update the command line tool in line with the new GUI tool?

PeterO

Re: Jessie Q&A (dhcpcd setting hostname)

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm

In my network at home I use a dhcp server to set the hostname on all my various PCs and PIs.

Now that I'm trying Jessie I find that the "old way" of putting a hostname script in /etc/dhcp/dhclient-exit-hooks.d doesn't work anymore :o

I'm up against two things here:
1) I've figured out that Jessie is using a different dhcp client called dhcpcd
2) I've no idea how systemd starts up dhcpcd

The man page for dhcpcd says that "you can force the hostname hook to always set the hostname with -e force_hostname=YES" but I don't know where to add this option.

I think I need a systemd guru :idea:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

MrEngman

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Just a thought. Could it be in /etc/dhcpcd.conf? Try man dhcpcd.conf for details.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

PeterO

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:59 pm

MrEngman wrote:Just a thought. Could it be in /etc/dhcpcd.conf? Try man dhcpcd.conf for details.
MrEngman
:D That's done the trick :D
Thanks
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

idav

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi,
I recently got raspberry pi 2 model b.
I'm trying to install raspbian jessy (lite), which is available from the download page (2015-11-21-raspbian-jessie-lite.zip).
I'm doing the following:
  1. dd to the sd card
  2. booting raspberry pi
  3. expanding the fs using raspi-config
  4. rebooting pi (sudo reboot)
  5. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
  6. rebooting again
Upgrade goes fine, although there's an error message in the middle:

Code: Select all

Setting up samba-common (2:4.1.17+dfsg-2+deb8u1) ...
/usr/bin/dirname: line 1: .: filename argument required
.: usage: . filename [arguments]
/usr/bin/dirname: line 3: -z,: command not found
/usr/bin/dirname: line 4: --help: command not found
/usr/bin/dirname: line 5: --version: command not found
/usr/bin/dirname: line 7: Examples:: command not found
/usr/bin/dirname: line 8: fg: no job control
/usr/bin/dirname: line 9: fg: no job control
/usr/bin/dirname: line 10: fg: no job control
/usr/bin/dirname: line 12: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
/usr/bin/dirname: line 12: `%s online help: <%s>'
After the second reboot I try to install sense-hat. And I have the following problem:

debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Fcntl.pm did not return a true value at /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/IO/Seekable.pm line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/IO/Seekable.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/IO/File.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/IO/File.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl/5.20/FileHandle.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 1) line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 3.
) -- aborting
Selecting previously unselected package libgfortran3:armhf.
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 files list file for package `dpkg-dev' contains empty filename
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
And pretty much every apt-get command fails.
I checked the sha1 checksum, the file zip seems to be correct. Also this is quite reproducible. I tried it several times.

Any idea on what's the problem?

Thanks a lot

DirkS

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 pm

idav wrote:Any idea on what's the problem?
What size is your SD card.?
Did you check that the filesystem was expanded?
Could your card be a fake?

rpdom

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:21 pm

This looks like corruption of the card. As DirkS said, maybe it's one of the many fake cards that are around (if it seems too cheap, it's probably fake).

What does "file /usr/bin/dirname" give? It should be something similar to

pi@raspi3 ~ $ file /usr/bin/dirname
/usr/bin/dirname: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=169756c3491edac1f278397cabe30f69c6b71ae7, stripped

alanpullen

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Regarding Jessie-Lite.

I am not sure if it is just me but when I use Jessie-Lite I have to run all scripts requiring GPIO/I2C/SPI as root using sudo whereas under full Jessie I don't need to - is this correct behaviour for Jessie-Lite?

Personally, due to the low cost of µSD cards, I am not too worried about using the full distro and booting to command prompt, however, I think it would be nice if this behaviour could be specified in either /boot/cmdline.txt or /boot/config.txt to save me having to connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to set up, i.e. with a flag like boot_to_x = False.

Also, some other suggestions (which I am sure I have seen elsewhere) are:
  • Have a /boot/wifi-config.txt (or similar) that is read (and cleared) at boot similar to Volumio so that headless set up is easier.
  • Allow the hostname to be specified in the /boot/config.txt or similar
My website/blog: http://www.alanpullen.uk
Pi's owned: 2*B (Rev 1), 1*B (Rev 2), 3*A+, B+, 4*Pi 2 B, 3*Zero

idav

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 pm

DirkS wrote: What size is your SD card.?
Did you check that the filesystem was expanded?
Could your card be a fake?
It's a 16GB card. It's not a fake one, and just to be sure I written 16Gb of random data, and verified that it was written correctly using sha1sum. So the card is ok.
FS expansion worked without problems (df shows that / is using most of the card now).
Also, everything works perfect under nightly raspbian wheezy (-nox) and debian-jessy full image. So I would assume that the card works fine.
rpdom wrote: What does "file /usr/bin/dirname" give?
The file is corrupted indeed.

/usr/bin/dirname: data
The file is ok prior to apt-get upgrade/

/usr/bin/dirname: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=169756c3491edac1f278397cabe30f69c6b71ae7, stripped
This is the list of the packages being upgraded:

The following packages will be upgraded:
  bind9-host dpkg dpkg-dev isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common libbind9-90 libdns-export100 libdns100 libdpkg-perl libirs-export91 libisc-export95 libisc95
  libisccc90 libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 liblwres90 libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libssl1.0.0 libwbclient0 libxml2 openssh-client openssh-server
  openssh-sftp-server openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python-rpi.gpio raspi-config samba-common ssh sudo
Installing packages one by one (apt-get install instead of apt-get upgrade) doesn't lead to the /usr/bin/dirname corruption. So it is probably something filesystem related. Driver/writing speed?

Any suggestions?

fos

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Jessie fills SD memory card.

With the previous version of Raspbian, I used an 8 GB memory card. When performed a new install with Jessie, the system works but the memory card was 90% + filled as reported by a df command. I purchased a 32 GB card thinking that would solve my problem but I get the same result. 93% filled.

I have performed a forum search. I write the card with OS X. I don't believe I am having a zip decompress problem. The R Pi 2 works as advertised, I just have very little disk space left.

Ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
https://faroutscience.com

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

fos wrote:Jessie fills SD memory card.

With the previous version of Raspbian, I used an 8 GB memory card. When performed a new install with Jessie, the system works but the memory card was 90% + filled as reported by a df command. I purchased a 32 GB card thinking that would solve my problem but I get the same result. 93% filled.

I have performed a forum search. I write the card with OS X. I don't believe I am having a zip decompress problem. The R Pi 2 works as advertised, I just have very little disk space left.

Ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

sudo raspi-config
First option

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm

alanpullen wrote:I am not sure if it is just me but when I use Jessie-Lite I have to run all scripts requiring GPIO/I2C/SPI as root using sudo whereas under full Jessie I don't need to - is this correct behaviour for Jessie-Lite?
Do you have an example script? The permissions look correct to me.

fos

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks ShiftPlusOne, that did the trick though I it still only indicates 47% free which is plenty on a 32 GB card.

Maybe I will go back to Wheezy, for experimentation I don't need the wasteful graphical desktop anyway.

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:53 pm

fos wrote:Thanks ShiftPlusOne, that did the trick though I it still only indicates 47% free which is plenty on a 32 GB card.

Maybe I will go back to Wheezy, for experimentation I don't need the wasteful graphical desktop anyway.
Wheezy has a desktop too. You might be after jessie lite.

fos

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Good thought. I will give it a try.

Thanks

sphonala

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:43 am

hiii,
i have just downloaded raspbian jessie. i am running it on my newly come pi zero with 3.5 ftt & touch and able to enable tft via dtoverlay. I am trying to enable touch & gpio mouse from /etc/modules but they are not loading or not loading any type of module @ boot from /etc/modules. there is no any mesaage in dmesg (dmesg | grep "ads") related to ads or gpio_mouse also or not in lsmod.
i can load it via modprobe but i want it @ boot time, thanks......

/etc/modules:
gpio_mouse_device pulldown polarity=0 up=17 bleft=04 down=22 left=27 right=23
ads7846_device model=7843 gpio_pendown=5 pressure_max=255 x_plate_ohms=100 swap_xy=1 x_min=230 x_max=3850 y_min=190 y_max=3850 settle_delay_usecs=200 penirq_recheck_delay_usecs=1000

DirkS

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:17 am

sphonala wrote:/etc/modules:
ads7846_device model=7843 gpio_pendown=5 pressure_max=255 x_plate_ohms=100 swap_xy=1 x_min=230 x_max=3850 y_min=190 y_max=3850 settle_delay_usecs=200 penirq_recheck_delay_usecs=1000
AIUI you put the parameters in a separate .conf file in /etc/modprobe.d and you just put the bare module name in /etc/modules. (http://linux.die.net/man/5/modprobe.d)

/etc/modules:

gpio_mouse_device
ads7846_device
/etc/modprobe.d/gpio_mouse:

options gpio_mouse_device pulldown polarity=0 up=17 bleft=04 down=22 left=27 right=23
/etc/modprobe,d/ads7846

options ads7846_device model=7843 gpio_pendown=5 pressure_max=255 x_plate_ohms=100 swap_xy=1 x_min=230 x_max=3850 y_min=190 y_max=3850 settle_delay_usecs=200 penirq_recheck_delay_usecs=1000
You can probably combine the options in a single file.

BTW: there is a device tree overlay for the ads7846. Any particular reason you can't use that?
See https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... t/overlays

michaelstoops

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm

I have been having trouble similar to these folks:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ng-upgrade

http://pastebin.com/Cawhce8q

http://blog.letmeask.co/category/apt/page/3/

I had trouble when upgrading an almost-stock Raspbian jessie (2015-11-21) image. I just boot and run:
apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade
And I get the same result as those folks.

Do we have any expert guidance on this issue?

sphonala

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 am

DirkS wrote:/etc/modules:

BTW: there is a device tree overlay for the ads7846. Any particular reason you can't use that?
See https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... t/overlays
[/quote]

thank u DirkS for ur reply.
now i can load my ads7846 module both way as u said. now i can take a touch events by evtest. my module is /dev/input/event1. I have downloaded xinput_calibrator & its dependencies for calibrating my touch screen.
but when I run xinput_calibrator command it gives me error " Error:No calibratable device found " what is this error? when i can look my module (ads7846) loaded by lsmod & i can get event by evtest ?
i am working on pi zero with latest raspbian jessie.

Return to “Raspbian”