Mortimer

Re: raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm

When I trash files in X, and try to empty the "Rubbish", I get:

Code: Select all

The file operation is finished, but there are some errors.
Deleting files      Rubbish Bin
Processing:
Progress:
Time remaining: 00:00:00

Some errors occurred:
:Operation not supported
Highlighting "Rubbish" to see what it contains, causes an error pop saying:

Code: Select all

Error
Operation not supported
Is this expected behaviour on the Raspberry Pi, or has something gone wrong in my installation?
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

dhardingham

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

The new raspbian image is excellent. No problems getting it to install and run. No problems configuring users, passwords and favourite packages.

Only one problem, when I start proftpd, some error messages appear:

sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd start
[....] Starting ftp server: proftpdraspberrypi proftpd[1789]: mod_tls/2.4.3: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012' library
raspberrypi proftpd[1789]: mod_sftp/0.9.8: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012' library
raspberrypi proftpd[1789]: mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session cache: Memcache support not enabled
. ok

Proftpd seems to work OK, but I'd like to get rid of the error messages!
David Hardingham

mpthompson

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 am

dhardingham wrote:Proftpd seems to work OK, but I'd like to get rid of the error messages!
David, using Google, I found this issue doesn't seem that uncommon with proftpd. For example, look at the comments here:

http://www.unixmen.com/installing-a-con ... untu-1010/

One possible fix seems to be to comment out the following lines in /etc/proftpd/modules.conf:

nano /etc/proftpd/modules.conf

#LoadModule mod_tls.c
#LoadModule mod_sftp.c
#LoadModule mod_sftp_pam.c
#LoadModule mod_tls_memcache.c

My guess is that proftpd, for whatever reason, is very sensitive to running against libraries that have changed version numbers that are different from when it was built. This may be for security reasons. I'll also see if I can schedule a rebuild of proftpd (which will update the libraries it links with) and see if that also fixes the issue.

MrGreg

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:11 am

Overall V impressed. Many thanks for the good work.

I do have a prob with password required progs. Eg synaptic
A password is required, but not accepted.
Tried
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... y_password

but this did not solve the problem
(worked OK in orig Squeeze)

any ideas / fix?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm

I've posted new details about how to get bleeding edge firmware via apt-get here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12170

i93sme

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Got the same problem (cannot open /dev/tty1) when using dd under Ubuntu. And yes, I've also used sync.
The problem seemed to be my card reader, since if I used WinDiskImage under Windows7, using the laptop embedded card reader and also made sure to 'eject' the SD card from Windows 7 all was ok.
The device booted ok, all is ok.

javaboyuk

SSH not secure on 15 July image?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Guys

just been looking at
/etc/ssh

and the "ssh_host_dsa_key*" files both pub and private are dated July 15
as the ecdsa and rsa are dated july 24 (when I did first boot of image).

this suggests to me we (you) are shipping an image were everyone has the same dsa
key both pub and secret, this sounds like a security issue to me.

Am I wrong? Should the startup image generate the dsa keys as well as the others?

best regards
JB

javaboyuk

add nodiratime to mount oprtions?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Guys
see you've already added noatime in the fstab for files, what about
also adding "nodiratime" as well?

regards
JB

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: SSH not secure on 15 July image?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 pm

javaboyuk wrote:Hi Guys

just been looking at
/etc/ssh

this suggests to me we (you) are shipping an image were everyone has the same dsa

Am I wrong? Should the startup image generate the dsa keys as well as the others?
Take a look at /etc/ssh on an unbooted image and you'll find it has no host keys. The dsa_key files have the July 15 date because they were generated after boot up, but before the clock was updated via ntp.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: add nodiratime to mount oprtions?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 pm

javaboyuk wrote:Guys
see you've already added noatime in the fstab for files, what about
also adding "nodiratime" as well?

regards
JB
noatime is a superset of nodiratime.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 am

I just spotted this on IRC

<GabrialDestruir> Eh... seems really odd... the first user is pi at 1000 and gid 1000, second user is uid 1001 gid 1002 because for some reason input uses gid 1001
<plugwash> what system is this on?
<plugwash> that sounds like a screwup from whoever made the image

friggle, what is your opinion on this? It sounds to me like what should be a system group has been inadvertently given a GID in the user range by your image build system.

mpthompson

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 am

Foundation image: /etc/group
pi:x:1000:
input:x:1001:pi

Foundation image: /etc/passwd
pi:x:1000:1000:,,,:/home/pi:/bin/bash

On a fresh Debian install the first user/group usually are 1000/1000 and the next user to be created is user/group 1001/1001. The two don't have to be in lockstep as it really doesn't matter to the system. Seems that the image generation process created the 'input' group as a side effect which gives the next user a group number offset by 1 over its user number. This can be prevented by using '--system' to the 'addgroup' function if this is how the 'input' group is being created in the scripts asb is using to create the image.

AndyPi

Re: Login Problem

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Im having a problem logging in with fresh install. I downloaded the image from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip, copied it to 2Gb SD card, insert in Pi, all goes well.

I get

raspbian login:

to which I type pi and press enter

Password:

and I type raspberry and press enter (obviously the prompt doesn't password typed)
I then get

Login incorrect
raspbian login:

Im using the right combination of user/password ??

I must be doing something really stupid since no one else seems to be having this elementary problem.

I have loaded on other cards Arch, Hexxeh image, Openelec, with success

regards

javaboyuk

Re: SSH not secure on 15 July image?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 pm

asb wrote:
javaboyuk wrote:Hi Guys

just been looking at
/etc/ssh

Take a look at /etc/ssh on an unbooted image and you'll find it has no host keys. The dsa_key files have the July 15 date because they were generated after boot up, but before the clock was updated via ntp.
:-) I didn't have a way of looking at unbooted image, arrr maybe I can find a thing for windows 7 so I can see it, will have a look this evening. Thanks for explaining about NTP happening post ssh first start, thats the thing I sort of assumed happened first.

Thanks

ejsolutions

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:05 pm

On the subject of sshd, I reckon it should start later in the sequence, to allow wireless networks some further time to negotiate a connection. Given that it's a 'supplementary' service, there's no reason for it not to start as late as possible and might also allow ntp to "do its' stuff". Just musing and I may be missing the point (not unusual).

Newton

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm

AndyPi wrote:Im having a problem logging in with fresh install. I downloaded the image from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip, copied it to 2Gb SD card, insert in Pi, all goes well.

I get

raspbian login:

Password:

and I type raspberry and press enter (obviously the prompt doesn't password typed)
I then get

Login incorrect
raspbian login:

I must be doing something really stupid since no one else seems to be having this elementary problem.

regards
Are you by any chance German? Then try "raspberrz" as password. Probably your keyboard mapping is incorrect.

RandomCoder

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 pm

AndyPi wrote:Im having a problem logging in with fresh install. I downloaded the image from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip, copied it to 2Gb SD card, insert in Pi, all goes well.

I get

raspbian login:

Password:

I then get

Login incorrect
raspbian login:

regards
As previously suggested, your keyboard mapping could be incorrect. I'd suggest typing in the password at the login prompt just so that you can be sure that the characters you expect to be getting are actually right. Once you have figgured out which keys produce the word raspberry then you will hopefully be able to login.

Regards,
RandomCoder
"Defeat never comes to any man until he admits it."Josephus Daniels

atemunro

Re: A great big thanks for raspbian!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 pm

I have not done a great deal in it yet, but even on a slowish card this is motoring!!

Many many thanks! :D

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 pm

I get

raspbian login:
The host name on the image you link to is raspberry, not raspbian. Are you sure you're writing the correct image?

wallacebiy

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 am

just a quirk , maybe someone can direct me to finding a little more helpful info to report back .

the fresh image seems to have had a little lag in the gui , and a lot of buffering on omxplayer .

I installed ( in order after first image and RPI Update) and the gui wasn't great
MrEngmans excellent script for wifi usb dongles
omxplayer
gnash

found the gui to be laggy .

then installed synaptic

used that to install cairo
and a few penguin card games
and a little penguin animation on the desktop
(there was a few other packages that just didn't take properly,so I removed them in synaptic )

Gui seems to have improved and buffering in omxplayer diminished a little.

Is there perhaps some library that came in with any of that which may have had a positive impact ?

It might be handy to figure it out , so that the build can ship in a more optimum state .

Cheers everyone who is putting the effort into this . I mean it .
Just to see my six year old opening Scratch and thinking it's great , it's astounding .

sadly he found out today that Club Penguin works on the Raspi !

AndyPi

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:23 pm

asb wrote:

I get

raspbian login:
The host name on the image you link to is raspberry, not raspbian. Are you sure you're writing the correct image?

Yes Im sure thats it. I said it was something stupid.....thanks a lot

Andy

Altivo

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 pm

FreePascal compiler?

Got the base Raspbian distribution up and running, added some tools I wanted without difficulty, including EMACS and VIM. But when I try to install FreePascal, I get a stack of errors out of aptitude.

Select package fpc (which has a lot of dependencies, most of which are Pascal libraries and code units) and try to install. Dozens of the dependencies come up "not found." A lot of them appear to be part of fp-ide (which is itself a dependency of fpc.)

Shouldn't these be there if aptitude shows them as available? Or if they aren't available (yet) shouldn't they all be left out of the repo listings until such time as they become available?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Did you remember to update the package lists before trying to install stuff?

Altivo

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

You got me. I figured it out while waiting for the message above to pass moderation.

I'm not used to working in an environment that is still changing so quickly. Not that it's an excuse, just an explanation. I'll do better going forward.

I had updated yesterday morning, but something changed since. After another update, missing pieces were found and installed, and fp is functional.

Thanks for the quick response. I have to compliment the whole Raspbian team on both the quality of the distribution and the fast replies. :)

rgh

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:34 pm

I did a fresh install of 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.zip and it seems I can log in as root without being prompted for a password. Is that intentional?

Return to “Raspbian”