gkreidl

Re: Kodi 15/16 Packages for Raspbian

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Rascas wrote:
cjan wrote: no, all SD-TV channels can play under VLC sdl_vout.
That doesn't confirm the video codec. VLC doesn't even use omxplayer, or any kind of hardware acceleration on the Pi.

Anyway, if you are using a RPi 2 or 3, mmal is the recommended (default), since it has more features, using only slightly more resources.
Most (but not all) TV SD channels use MPEG2 codec and require the MPEG2 license to be played with omxplayer.
SDL output of VLC is software only.
If you compile VLC with HW acceleration (OpenMax only, MMAL doesn't work), you will also need the MPEG2 codec to use the HW acceleration for SD TV video.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:52 pm

gkreidl wrote:Most (but not all) TV SD channels use MPEG2 codec and require the MPEG2 license to be played with omxplayer.
If you compile VLC with HW acceleration (OpenMax only, MMAL doesn't work), you will also need the MPEG2 codec to use the HW acceleration for SD TV video.
in my case, SD-TV channels
VLC --> OpenMax --> SD --> OK
Kodi --> mmal --------> SD --> OK
Kodi --> omxplayer -> SD --> Not

they all HW accelerator, that is why have a question.

Rascas

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 am

cjan wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Most (but not all) TV SD channels use MPEG2 codec and require the MPEG2 license to be played with omxplayer.
in my case, SD-TV channels
VLC --> OpenMax --> SD --> OK
Kodi --> mmal --------> SD --> OK
Kodi --> omxplayer -> SD --> Not

they all HW accelerator, that is why have a question.
omxplayer (either in Kodi or the command line version) is a player that only plays videos with a codec supported by the RPi SoC, with hardware acceleration.

Kodi's mmal, is the same as the omxplayer (hardware accelerated), but with support for other codecs, though not hardware accelerated. And other features.

About the VLC compiled with OpenMax, i don't know why it works, i never used it on the Pi, but if it works with mpeg-2 or other unsupported codec, if you don't have the licences it is certainly without hardware acceleration, that's for sure.

The only way to have mpeg-2 and VC-1 hardware accelerated on the Pi is buying the licences.

aik

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Noticed an issue with "16.1 Git:2016-04-25-b08ce71-dirty Media Center Kodi". I used to have a USB disk mounted at /mnt/olddisk/ and things were working fine. Then I got orangepi, connected the USB disk there, shared it over NFS and mounted it on raspberrypi at the very same location. And things work except sometime Kodi hangs on RPI while scrolling the movies list on NFS share, however CPU load is zero. After 5 minues or so Kodi crashes/exits with no records in .kodi/temp/kodi.log. NFS share is alive and running, HDD might stop and start again and againi (power saving, etc) but Kodi handled it nicely when USB disk was connected directly. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks!

Ah, also, looked through this topic but could not find - where do people get Kodi 17 these days?

Rascas

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:37 pm

aik wrote:Noticed an issue with "16.1 Git:2016-04-25-b08ce71-dirty Media Center Kodi". I used to have a USB disk mounted at /mnt/olddisk/ and things were working fine. Then I got orangepi, connected the USB disk there, shared it over NFS and mounted it on raspberrypi at the very same location. And things work except sometime Kodi hangs on RPI while scrolling the movies list on NFS share, however CPU load is zero. After 5 minues or so Kodi crashes/exits with no records in .kodi/temp/kodi.log. NFS share is alive and running, HDD might stop and start again and againi (power saving, etc) but Kodi handled it nicely when USB disk was connected directly. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks!

Ah, also, looked through this topic but could not find - where do people get Kodi 17 these days?
I have no problems with my NFS shares on RPi + Kodi, although I mount them in RPi instead of using Kodi's builtin NFS stack because it is less buggy and uses less cpu resources.

There is a Kodi 17 version in Pipplware unstable repo, but it is a bit old. I will compile Kodi 17 again when the stable version is out, I am still a little busy right now.

aik

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Rascas wrote:I have no problems with my NFS shares on RPi + Kodi, although I mount them in RPi instead of using Kodi's builtin NFS stack because it is less buggy and uses less cpu resources.
Hm. My Kodi seems to crash more often when debian NFS stack is used rather than Kodi's one :-/

This is how I mount (fstab):
aikopi:/mnt/olddisk /mnt/olddisk nfs defaults,nofail 0 0

Any other options may be recommended?

Rascas

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:57 pm

aik wrote:
Rascas wrote:I have no problems with my NFS shares on RPi + Kodi, although I mount them in RPi instead of using Kodi's builtin NFS stack because it is less buggy and uses less cpu resources.
Hm. My Kodi seems to crash more often when debian NFS stack is used rather than Kodi's one :-/

This is how I mount (fstab):
aikopi:/mnt/olddisk /mnt/olddisk nfs defaults,nofail 0 0

Any other options may be recommended?
I mount mines like this:
Server:/path/to/export /local_mountpoint nfs defaults,rw,nolock,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

Check your Kodi log for more information about your problem.

aik

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Rascas wrote:Check your Kodi log for more information about your problem.
There is nothing in the log about this, just some recent activity as usual and I actually think it is just the interface what hangs as I plugged another USB keyboard and kodi logged it straight away ("NOTICE: Found a non joystick" message). Hm.

Update. I killed kodi remotely and discovered a bunch of new terminal windows in XFCE so I assume the proposed "chmod 0777 /dev/tty0" might be responsible for this as the keyboard input seemed to go wrong place. Please help :)

Rascas

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am

aik wrote:
Rascas wrote:Check your Kodi log for more information about your problem.
There is nothing in the log about this, just some recent activity as usual and I actually think it is just the interface what hangs as I plugged another USB keyboard and kodi logged it straight away ("NOTICE: Found a non joystick" message). Hm.

Update. I killed kodi remotely and discovered a bunch of new terminal windows in XFCE so I assume the proposed "chmod 0777 /dev/tty0" might be responsible for this as the keyboard input seemed to go wrong place. Please help :)
There is no proposed "chmod 0777 /dev/tty0". Also There shouldnt 't be any terminal windows open when you launch Kodi, if launched from the automatically created icon in the DE. What exactly is your OS version ? Are you running with user pi ? Did you tried with a fresh install (move/remove /home/pi/.kodi folder) and with a minimum of connected devices ? Also, post your full log after the problem occurs.

gkreidl

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:35 am

Rascas wrote:
There is no proposed "chmod 0777 /dev/tty0".
This may be required to get full keyboard support instead of a phone like keyboard in kodi.
But it shouldn't disturb anything.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

giorgis

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi all!

Using Kodi 15 and trying to watch IPTV by PVR-IPTV-Simple AddON. Everything is working but only for around 30seconds.

I mean I can only watch the TV channels for 30seconds. Any hints on what to check in my setup? Any M3U list confirmed to work for more time just for testing purposes?

All the best
There are only 10 types of people. Those who know binary and those who don't

bucbowie

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

I don't understand. It worked perfectly, the first time. I have never seen this before on a free website. Nice work, team! Keep it up. Quality is free; anything less, costs you in the end.

Rascas

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:13 pm

bucbowie wrote:I don't understand. It worked perfectly, the first time. I have never seen this before on a free website. Nice work, team! Keep it up. Quality is free; anything less, costs you in the end.
Hmm? What are you talking about ? Maybe wrong topic ?

bleep42

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Rascas wrote:
bucbowie wrote:I don't understand. It worked perfectly, the first time. I have never seen this before on a free website. Nice work, team! Keep it up. Quality is free; anything less, costs you in the end.
Hmm? What are you talking about ? Maybe wrong topic ?
I believe he/she is being complimentary and saying your installation worked perfectly first time and that they are surprised, as it's free! keep up the good work. :-)

victagayun

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello

I dont know where to look because of the thread being so long...
I have enabled kodi to startup (ENABLED =1) and use CEC remote so that I wont be using mouse and keyboard.
The problem is shutdown button will only show EXIT, no shutdown, reboot, etc...
But if I disable startup and run kodi from desktop, the menu is there....
Anyway to solve this?

Rascas

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm

victagayun wrote:Hello

I have enabled kodi to startup (ENABLED =1) and use CEC remote so that I wont be using mouse and keyboard.
Anyway to solve this?
Which user have you set to run Kodi on startup ? Does that user has permission to reboot/shutdown the system ?

victagayun

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 am

Rascas wrote:

Anyway to solve this?
Which user have you set to run Kodi on startup ? Does that user has permission to reboot/shutdown the system ?
Im not sure how to find this one out... but I just enabled the desktop to automatic login by pi account by raspi-config....
any config files I need to edit?

Siamak

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:02 am

Hi All,

It could be the Skin issue, change the skin and see how it behaves.
siamak

gkreidl

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

victagayun wrote:
Rascas wrote:

Anyway to solve this?
Im not sure how to find this one out... but I just enabled the desktop to automatic login by pi account by raspi-config....
When you use the auto-startup of kodi it will run as user kodi.

Rascas

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:41 am

victagayun wrote:
Rascas wrote:

Anyway to solve this?
In /etc/default/kodi, try changing the USER variable to "pi", reboot and see if that still hapens.

iznobe

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Hello all , this morning theres is an automatic update on my rpi3 from kodi 16.1 to kodi17.0 .

i would like to downgrade from kodi 17 to kodi 16.1 because i have a media server with a database , so i cant let it as is .

The database needs for same version on all devices .

And now my daugther can ' t read movies on rpi .

thanks a lot to provide help to me .

cjan

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 am

pipplware update to 17, but upgrade went wrong, anyone success ?

Rascas

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:19 pm

cjan wrote:pipplware update to 17, but upgrade went wrong, anyone success ?
Yes, me and most of the people using PiPplware or RetroPie. What exactly went wrong, and post your log.

Rascas

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:22 pm

iznobe wrote:Hello all , this morning theres is an automatic update on my rpi3 from kodi 16.1 to kodi17.0 .

i would like to downgrade from kodi 17 to kodi 16.1 because i have a media server with a database , so i cant let it as is .

The database needs for same version on all devices .

And now my daugther can ' t read movies on rpi .

thanks a lot to provide help to me .
Read this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/138284/h ... ia-apt-get

cjan

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Rascas wrote:
cjan wrote:pipplware update to 17, but upgrade went wrong, anyone success ?
Yes, me and most of the people using PiPplware or RetroPie. What exactly went wrong, and post your log.
pi@rpi2:~ $sudo apt-get install kodi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: libgif5 but it is not installable or
libgif7 but it is not installable
Depends: libcec4 but it is not installable
Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Return to “Raspbian”