Rascas

Re: Kodi 15 Packages for Raspbian Wheezy & Jessie for RPi2

Fri May 06, 2016 5:39 pm

hawkeyexp wrote:Hi @ all, since 16.0 i'm using it for a carpc project and all works fine. With upgrade to 16.1 the skin causes kodi to crash on load. The used skin is https://github.com/idorel77/skin.CarPC-touch_carbon from idorel77. With confluence all works fine. Also working fine with kodi 16.1 on win. The Logs dosn't give any hint what goes wrong :-( Used Resolution is 800x480 - Has anybody an idea ?
PS: skin-dev has also no idea what goes wrong...
You have to report that to the skin's author. You can test it with Open/LibreELEC but I am almost sure that it will have the same problem. You can also try to expose the problem in Kodi's official forum, maybe someone can help you there.

EDIT: Tried to install it on 16.1 and it fails with this error:

Code: Select all

ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[skin.CarPC-touch_carbon]: The dependency on xbmc.gui version 5.3.0 could not be satisfied.
Send this to the skin's author, he should be able to fix it.

hawkeyexp

Sat May 07, 2016 12:22 pm

You have to report that to the skin's author. You can test it with Open/LibreELEC but I am almost sure that it will have the same problem. You can also try to expose the problem in Kodi's official forum, maybe someone can help you there.

EDIT: Tried to install it on 16.1 and it fails with this error:

ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[skin.CarPC-touch_carbon]: The dependency on xbmc.gui version 5.3.0 could not be satisfied.
Send this to the skin's author, he should be able to fix it.[/quote]

Thx for feedback - tried it with openelec on latest official build (6.95.3 / Kodi 16.1) and all works fine like on windows, too.
Any other ideas what goes wrong ?

Rascas

Sat May 07, 2016 2:51 pm

hawkeyexp wrote: Thx for feedback - tried it with openelec on latest official build (6.95.3 / Kodi 16.1) and all works fine like on windows, too.
Any other ideas what goes wrong ?
No it does not. Same error as above:
http://pastebin.com/a4x1rDBw

The skin simply doesn't support Kodi 16.1, at least on the Raspberry Pi.

EDIT: If you change the line in addon.xml from 5.3.0 to 5.10.0 it installs and seems to work fine, but if you reboot, Kodi doesn't start. Tested on Raspbian + Kodi 16.1 and OpenELEC 6.95.3, same behaviour.

MonkeymanStones

Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm

I am having an odd problem attempting to run Kodi from the instructions which Rascas provided a few pages back. When I start it from the Menu icon under Sound & Video and when I start it with the "kodi" command from a terminal, my screen goes black. But, with CTRL+ALT+DEL I can bring up the Task Manager and once I can get my mouse icon on screen (the only visible area is the Task Manager and when the pointer moves there, it is visible) I can select kodi-bin (selecting kodi itself will not have the attempted effect) and right click it to "kill" the app. That brings back all of my screen. Here is a video I made of it: https://youtu.be/upCp4pHbMRI . I suspect that the application is attempting to use a different (non-existent) screen. But, with Kodi started from the terminal then killed in the manner above, the following is shown on the terminal screen once Kodi is closed:

pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ kodi
libEGL warning: Render node support not available, falling back to dri2
libEGL warning: If you want to force dri3, set EGL_FORCE_DRI3 environment variable
Killed
pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ 
which is probably useful to you. By the way, kodi-standalone produces the following result:

pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ kodi-standalone
bash: kodi-standalone: command not found
So, that makes it seem that there are other instructions required for proper installation of Kodi, in addition to what Rascas has defined in his/her install instructions.

What must I do to correct this?
Thank you,
David

Rascas

Mon May 16, 2016 5:32 pm

MonkeymanStones wrote:I am having an odd problem attempting to run Kodi from the instructions which Rascas provided a few pages back. When I start it from the Menu icon under Sound & Video and when I start it with the "kodi" command from a terminal, my screen goes black. But, with CTRL+ALT+DEL I can bring up the Task Manager and once I can get my mouse icon on screen (the only visible area is the Task Manager and when the pointer moves there, it is visible) I can select kodi-bin (selecting kodi itself will not have the attempted effect) and right click it to "kill" the app. That brings back all of my screen. Here is a video I made of it: https://youtu.be/upCp4pHbMRI . I suspect that the application is attempting to use a different (non-existent) screen. But, with Kodi started from the terminal then killed in the manner above, the following is shown on the terminal screen once Kodi is closed:

pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ kodi
libEGL warning: Render node support not available, falling back to dri2
libEGL warning: If you want to force dri3, set EGL_FORCE_DRI3 environment variable
Killed
pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ 
which is probably useful to you. By the way, kodi-standalone produces the following result:

pi@LinPin-l19x504:~ $ kodi-standalone
bash: kodi-standalone: command not found
So, that makes it seem that there are other instructions required for proper installation of Kodi, in addition to what Rascas has defined in his/her install instructions.

What must I do to correct this?
Thank you,
David
You are using the open-source graphics driver. This packages are not compatible with that driver, you have to use the Broadcom "normal" driver instead. Also you didn't set the repos correctly, the main repo is missing. Check this:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088&start=525#p961205

speendo

Tue May 17, 2016 9:46 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Rascas wrote:LoL, no problem. I agree that this solution is bad but unfortunately I don't see an alternative. The alternatives that I see and mentioned are also bad or worse. But if someone comes with a better idea I will gladly change it.
I just tried my "startkodi" script with the last part, which requires "sudo", commented out (that was copied from the original kodi-standalone script for the RPi). No black screen, even after repeated calls. It's basically the same as the omxplayer start script. So here it is again for testing purposes:

#!/bin/bash
fbset_bin=`which fbset`
xset_bin=`which xset`
xrefresh_bin=`which xrefresh`
if [ ! -z $fbset_bin ]; then
  DEPTH2=`$fbset_bin | head -3 | tail -1 | cut -d " " -f 10`
fi
kodi "$@"
  if [ "$DEPTH2" == "8" ]; then
    DEPTH1=16
  else
    DEPTH1=8
  fi
  $fbset_bin -depth $DEPTH1 > /dev/null 2>&1
  $fbset_bin -depth $DEPTH2 > /dev/null 2>&1
fi
if [ ! -z $xset_bin ] && [ ! -z $xrefresh_bin ]; then
  if [ -z $DISPLAY ]; then
    DISPLAY=":0"
  fi

$xset_bin -display $DISPLAY -q > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
      $xrefresh_bin -display $DISPLAY > /dev/null 2>&1
    fi
fi
I have a similar issue on my installation.

@Rascas: Can you already tell if there are any chances that your Kodi package (which, by the way, I appreciate very much!) will run without sudo rights soon?

Rascas

Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 pm

speendo wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
Rascas wrote:LoL, no problem. I agree that this solution is bad but unfortunately I don't see an alternative. The alternatives that I see and mentioned are also bad or worse. But if someone comes with a better idea I will gladly change it.
I just tried my "startkodi" script with the last part, which requires "sudo", commented out (that was copied from the original kodi-standalone script for the RPi). No black screen, even after repeated calls. It's basically the same as the omxplayer start script. So here it is again for testing purposes:

#!/bin/bash
fbset_bin=`which fbset`
xset_bin=`which xset`
xrefresh_bin=`which xrefresh`
  DEPTH2=`$fbset_bin | head -3 | tail -1 | cut -d " " -f 10`
fi
kodi "$@"
  if [ "$DEPTH2" == "8" ]; then
    DEPTH1=16
  else
    DEPTH1=8
  fi
  $fbset_bin -depth $DEPTH1 > /dev/null 2>&1
  $fbset_bin -depth $DEPTH2 > /dev/null 2>&1
fi
if [ ! -z $xset_bin ] && [ ! -z $xrefresh_bin ]; then
  if [ -z $DISPLAY ]; then
    DISPLAY=":0"
  fi

$xset_bin -display $DISPLAY -q > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
      $xrefresh_bin -display $DISPLAY > /dev/null 2>&1
    fi
fi
I have a similar issue on my installation.

@Rascas: Can you already tell if there are any chances that your Kodi package (which, by the way, I appreciate very much!) will run without sudo rights soon?
Yes, there is. In the next version of Kodi I will try to get rid of sudo.
In the meanwhile you can just edit /usr/bin/kodi and eliminate what you don't want, that is only where sudo is called.

sn2016

Re: Kodi 15/16 Packages for Raspbian

Sat May 21, 2016 4:19 pm

I have an issue with add on's from Kodi add-on repository. I added HGTV, Food Network & Travel Channel recently to Kodi 16.1. When I selected an episode, the audio start playing but the screen still show the episode list. If I leave it alone, the audio will stop after few seconds. If I manually switch to full screen, the audio will start at the beginning for a few second while the screen is blank.

Avie02

Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 am

Hi, I greatly appreciate the information provided in this thread. I only have one issue running kodi and was hoping someone could help. I have an audio lag issue when streaming HD channels through npvr addon, has anyone else experienced this?

gkreidl

Mon May 23, 2016 4:17 am

Avie02 wrote:Hi, I greatly appreciate the information provided in this thread. I only have one issue running kodi and was hoping someone could help. I have an audio lag issue when streaming HD channels through npvr addon, has anyone else experienced this?
Which version are you using?
I had similar problems and fixed them by rebuilding from the popcornmix rpb backports branch (15.2, see OP).
kodi 16 from pipplware should have the same fixes, but I have not tested it (still using my own 15.2 build).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Rascas

Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Avie02 wrote:Hi, I greatly appreciate the information provided in this thread. I only have one issue running kodi and was hoping someone could help. I have an audio lag issue when streaming HD channels through npvr addon, has anyone else experienced this?
You didn't said which version of Kodi you are using, but I use Kodi 16.1 from PiPplware repo, with TVHeadend backend configured in another Pi, and have no problems watching 1080p TV Channels. No audio/video lag whatsoever. But notice that my cable provider, encodes the streams in h264, which the RPi has native hardware acceleration. It is common to some providers to transmit in mpeg-2 (for example in US) and you might have issues watching HD video if that is your case. If that is case I recommend to buy the respective codec to enable the respective hardware acceleration, it is cheap. Check or post your kodi log and confirm also that you are not having netwrok problems.
sn2016 wrote:I have an issue with add on's from Kodi add-on repository. I added HGTV, Food Network & Travel Channel recently to Kodi 16.1. When I selected an episode, the audio start playing but the screen still show the episode list. If I leave it alone, the audio will stop after few seconds. If I manually switch to full screen, the audio will start at the beginning for a few second while the screen is blank.
I tested Travel Channel and Food Network in Kodi 16.1 and they are working just fine. Check if you have enabled the software decoding in config.txt. Recheck your Kodi config/setup and check also your log file.

PS: PiPplware Kodi packages were always based in popcornmix rbp backports kodi branch + some other optimizations already mentioned.

sn2016

Mon May 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Rascas wrote:
I tested Travel Channel and Food Network in Kodi 16.1 and they are working just fine. Check if you have enabled the software decoding in config.txt. Recheck your Kodi config/setup and check also your log file.

PS: PiPplware Kodi packages were always based in popcornmix rbp backports kodi branch + some other optimizations already mentioned.
I put in the steps in the 1st post of this thread as well as adding "start_x=1" in /boot/config.txt. Are there other configs I need to do? Thanks.

Rascas

Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am

sn2016 wrote:
Rascas wrote:

I put in the steps in the 1st post of this thread as well as adding "start_x=1" in /boot/config.txt. Are there other configs I need to do? Thanks.
The first post is the instructions for the OP (GKreidl) Kodi 15.2 version. For the the PiPplware Kodi packages (currently 16.1), despite many things are similar, check this:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088&start=525#p961205

Make sure you have at least 160 MB for GPU, 256 MB is the recommended for RPi 2 or 3. If that doesn't work, try with a clean install (move/remove ~/.kodi). Also keep in mind that this packages are for Raspbian and should work in most Raspbian based distro's but that may depend, they might not work well in stripped/minimal versions.

Kratos

Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Just because I was building Kodi as well at the time, I checked out your configure options. I noticed on the Jessie config you have non-free enabled:

--enable-non-free
Not to be nitpicky, but why did you enable it?

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

gkreidl

Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Kratos wrote:Just because I was building Kodi as well at the time, I checked out your configure options. I noticed on the Jessie config you have non-free enabled:

--enable-non-free

Kratos
I didn't enable it. It was a default setting and I wasn't aware of possible license issues at that time.
BTW, I'm not sure if the kodi source includes some non-free stuff or if this relates to using non-free system libraries (which would not result in a GPL license conflict for kodi itself).
I won't change (rebuild) it any more as interest has shifted to kodi 16 supplied by pipplware (downloads of the 15.2 versions have dwindled down from about 6000-8000 per month to a few hundred now).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Kratos

Tue May 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Ah, OK. Makes sense.

Kratos

Rascas

Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Kratos wrote:Just because I was building Kodi as well at the time, I checked out your configure options. I noticed on the Jessie config you have non-free enabled:

--enable-non-free

Kratos
Like Gkreidl said, non-free in linux is generally related to something that does not have the GNU General Public License (GPL). In Kodi, I know that it enables the ability to open some rar files.. So nothing to worry about.
I have it enabled in PiPplware packages also, it was included in the Ubuntu debian scripts, it is also enabled in the RPi Foundation Kodi version, and I know that almost all Kodi based embbeded systems have it enable too.

EDIT: --enable-non-free is now a default option
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/maste ... re.ac#L384

Kratos

Tue May 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info! So, it is OK to enable non free when compiling? It would seem to me that if it was a default option it would. Not to take over this topic, but I am compiling Kodi 17 for Ubuntu MATE. (Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=124572.)

Kratos

Rascas

Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Kratos wrote:Thanks for the info! So, it is OK to enable non free when compiling? It would seem to me that if it was a default option it would. Not to take over this topic, but I am compiling Kodi 17 for Ubuntu MATE. (Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=124572.)

Kratos
Deafult means that you don't even need to pass it. It is enabled by default unless you pass --disable-non-free. It doesn't matter where you are trying to build it. I don't see any problem with it.

sn2016

Tue May 24, 2016 7:50 pm

I still have problem with HGTV addon after I reinstalled Kodi 16.1 on my Raspbian Pi3. Is there a place I can upload my log file so someone can look at it and see if there is any setup issues?
Thanks

Rascas

Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 pm

sn2016 wrote:I still have problem with HGTV addon after I reinstalled Kodi 16.1 on my Raspbian Pi3. Is there a place I can upload my log file so someone can look at it and see if there is any setup issues?
Thanks
My recommendation is that you start with a default Kodi config, not just reinstalling. For that move or remove ~/.kodi. I tested that addon and I see no problems either. You can upload your log to pastebin and put the link here, or maybe better, in Kodi oficial forums, but I think it is a problem with your setup/configuration, since I can't see any problems.

sn2016

Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Where can I find a default kodi config file?

Rascas

Tue May 24, 2016 8:33 pm

sn2016 wrote:Where can I find a default kodi config file?
I already explained you. For more information read the Kodi wiki http://kodi.wiki/. For more questions about using Kodi it is better for you to ask in the Kodi oficial forums.

sn2016

Wed May 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Rascas wrote:
sn2016 wrote:Where can I find a default kodi config file?
I already explained you. For more information read the Kodi wiki http://kodi.wiki/. For more questions about using Kodi it is better for you to ask in the Kodi oficial forums.
Thank you for you help. The reason I have not posted to Kodi official forum is because the problem is unique to my RPi3 installation. I have no issue with my Nexus Player Kodi app. Anyway, I have created a thread there ( https://forums.tvaddons.ag/getting-star ... v-add.html ).

Return to “Raspbian”