Rascas

Re: Kodi 15 Packages for Raspbian Wheezy & Jessie for RPi2

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:21 pm

Jsnow0187 wrote:Seems to work well apart from a few bugs. I am usingthe pipplware repo, and o get a black screen when i tey to change the resolution from desktop. Also exit does not work. I tried the scripts but was unabe to it working.

Anyone have fixes for these bugs?
I have no problems changing the resolution in Kodi back and forth. With my packages (PiPplware) you still need to give the right permissions to the user (probably pi) and the udev rules. Check the first post.
To start Kodi, you don't need any script (PiPplware version only, not gkreidl's one), just type in terminal:

Code: Select all

kodi
Or click on the Kodi icon in LXDE.
There's no black screen on exit.

GTR2Fan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Rascas wrote:
Jsnow0187 wrote:Seems to work well apart from a few bugs. I am using the pipplware repo, and o get a black screen when i tey to change the resolution from desktop. Also exit does not work.
Are you sure that the resolution and/or framerate aren't being changed to something that your monitor or TV doesn't support? The same thing happens on my DVI-D connected BenQ monitor, but only because it doesn't support much else apart from 1920x1080 at 60Hz, so I just leave the option to automatically change it disabled.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

typxxi

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 am

gkreidl wrote:Try removing it and reinstalling.
Right now everything is working fine.

The only thing which is not working is the X11VNC Server.
This is my headless app which displays exactly what I would see on a connected hdmi screen, but not the KODI Screen

Is KODI in another desktop?

Thx
WOLF

gkreidl

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:55 am

typxxi wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Try removing it and reinstalling.
Right now everything is working fine.

The only thing which is not working is the X11VNC Server.
This is my headless app which displays exactly what I would see on a connected hdmi screen, but not the KODI Screen

Is KODI in another desktop?

Thx
Kodi doesn't use X11 but OpenGL ES. You cannot see it in VNC. And it would be rather useless, as playing video across VNC isn't possible.
You can control it from a browser or Android device though.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

reiper

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:12 am

Can anybody confirm that HEVC files are ok with this v16 build? They don t on official 15.2, same on v16 beta from michael gorven BUT theyre perfectly smooth (720p) on openelec, both v16 beta and v17 alpha.

Rascas

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 am

reiper wrote:Can anybody confirm that HEVC files are ok with this v16 build? They don t on official 15.2, same on v16 beta from michael gorven BUT theyre perfectly smooth (720p) on openelec, both v16 beta and v17 alpha.
720p HEVC doesn't play smooth with my Kodi 16.0 packages. The last time I compiled Kodi for ARMv7, was Kodi 15, and I didn't notice any visible improvement, either in the interface or HEVC videos. For what I know the majority of the optimizations to HEVC was done in Kodi 17, but probably there is some improvements in Kodi 16. I will compile separate Kodi 16 packages for ARMv7 to see how it is now. They will not work on RPi 1/0 versions of course, thats the drawback.

Jsnow0187

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:29 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:
Rascas wrote:
Jsnow0187 wrote:Seems to work well apart from a few bugs. I am using the pipplware repo, and o get a black screen when i tey to change the resolution from desktop. Also exit does not work.
Are you sure that the resolution and/or framerate aren't being changed to something that your monitor or TV doesn't support? The same thing happens on my DVI-D connected BenQ monitor, but only because it doesn't support much else apart from 1920x1080 at 60Hz, so I just leave the option to automatically change it disabled.
Yes, my tv resets like normal when changing resolution, shows 1080p/60hz but all i get is a black screen.

I have hdmi_config_boost=4
And no other HDMI settings in the config file.
I believe its freezing the pi up, ctrl alt shift backspace doesnt work, ctrl alt f2 doesnt work and when i ssh and sudo reboot it wont reboot, i have to manually pull power on it.

I got the exit command fixed. Though

Rascas

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:06 pm

Jsnow0187 wrote:Yes, my tv resets like normal when changing resolution, shows 1080p/60hz but all i get is a black screen.

I have hdmi_config_boost=4
And no other HDMI settings in the config file.
I believe its freezing the pi up, ctrl alt shift backspace doesnt work, ctrl alt f2 doesnt work and when i ssh and sudo reboot it wont reboot, i have to manually pull power on it.

I got the exit command fixed. Though
I can't reproduce this on my RPis, on 2 different TVs, one Samsung monitor and one Philips TV, both with 1080p native resolution. I think it should be a permissions problem. Also make sure that you test it first without any kind of overclock. It is not normal that the whole OS freezes, if Kodi crashes for some reason, Raspbian should still function properly, and not freeze. Altough, it is normal that you can't change tty (virtual terminal) while Kodi is running, this is related to how Kodi works on the Raspberry Pi.

Jsnow0187

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:39 pm

reflashing a new raspbian image now. gonna try it again

futant

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

FYI, popcornmix has solved my problem with DTS passthrough on S/PDIF connection. Apparently the root cause was that my tv doesn't officially support DTS passthrough but with previous firmwares it was still working when the streams were not explicitly flagged as compressed. If you have similar configuration to mine (RPI -> hdmi -> TV -> optical -> receiver) and problems with just the DTS passthrough, you might want to try the workaround described in this ticket https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/561. Mind you there are few TVs that can handle the DTS passthrough and probably even fewer models that can handle it despite not officially supporting it.

Rascas

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:15 am

futant wrote:FYI, popcornmix has solved my problem with DTS passthrough on S/PDIF connection. Apparently the root cause was that my tv doesn't officially support DTS passthrough but with previous firmwares it was still working when the streams were not explicitly flagged as compressed. If you have similar configuration to mine (RPI -> hdmi -> TV -> optical -> receiver) and problems with just the DTS passthrough, you might want to try the workaround described in this ticket https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/561. Mind you there are few TVs that can handle the DTS passthrough and probably even fewer models that can handle it despite not officially supporting it.
Nice :D That is one of the reasons that it is recommended to connect the player to the av receiver first and then, from the receiver to the TV.
reiper wrote:Can anybody confirm that HEVC files are ok with this v16 build? They don t on official 15.2, same on v16 beta from michael gorven BUT theyre perfectly smooth (720p) on openelec, both v16 beta and v17 alpha.
Relatively to this, I made a Kodi 16.0 new build for testing, exactly the same on PiPplware main repo, but compiled for ARMv7. There is now a visible improvement for HEVC playback, but unfortunately, not enough to play 720p HEVC perfectly smooth.
I installed the latest version of OSMC with Kodi 16 on a new card to compare it and it is pretty much the same thing. Didn't tested OpenELEC becaus there isn't a OpenELEC stable version with Kodi 16.0 yet.
This tests were all done on a RPi 2, without any kind of overclock.

Pretty much all HEVC optimizations (and others) is done in Millhouse's OpenELEC test versions, now with Kodi 17. It is still in early Alpha versions so some bugs are to be expected, especially now wih the introdution of the new skin. If you really want 720p HEVC smooth playback, I think it is best way to go for now.
When things calm down a little, I will make new Kodi 17 packages based on that, both for ARMv6 and ARMv7.

I you want to test my Kodi 16.0 ARMv7 packages, you have them here:
http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... v7/binary/
Last edited by Rascas on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reiper

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:18 am

Just tested your build on hevc file (just be aware, it's the one with quite small bitrate anyway, don't have any others atm) and while there is a visible improvement it is still quite far from OPENELEC v7 w/ kodi v16-beta3.

futant

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Rascas wrote:
futant wrote:FYI, popcornmix has solved my problem with DTS passthrough on S/PDIF connection. Apparently the root cause was that my tv doesn't officially support DTS passthrough but with previous firmwares it was still working when the streams were not explicitly flagged as compressed. If you have similar configuration to mine (RPI -> hdmi -> TV -> optical -> receiver) and problems with just the DTS passthrough, you might want to try the workaround described in this ticket https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/561. Mind you there are few TVs that can handle the DTS passthrough and probably even fewer models that can handle it despite not officially supporting it.
Nice :D That is one of the reasons that it is recommended to connect the player to the av receiver first and then, from the receiver to the TV.
Sure, some of us just have older hardware where this is not possible (like receivers without HDMI connections)... ;)

Rascas

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:14 pm

reiper wrote:Just tested your build on hevc file (just be aware, it's the one with quite small bitrate anyway, don't have any others atm) and while there is a visible improvement it is still quite far from OPENELEC v7 w/ kodi v16-beta3.
Where did you get Openelec 7 with Kodi 16 ? Did you get a pré-compiled version or did you compile it yourself ?
futant wrote:Sure, some of us just have older hardware where this is not possible (like receivers without HDMI connections)... ;)
Yeah, I tought it should be the case ;)

reiper

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:55 pm

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231092
quite old builds from december but see for yourself how optimised it is.

Rascas

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:25 pm

reiper wrote:http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231092
quite old builds from december but see for yourself how optimised it is.
Thanks, I will compare. I think that in my ARMv7 builds, the HEVC optimizations aren't being applied, only NEON. I will try to figure it out today if I have some free time.

reiper

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 pm

you're a good man!. nobody else cares about fully working linux + kodi.
openelec is really great but i also want some other features like nas, torrent, vpn, vnc, etc, so... linux.

there is a new version of kodi in testing repo but its impossible to just install it on current jessie. I tried to migrate to stretch but it broke my whole system.
I also tried Arch Linux which has kodi v16 but it still lacks of HEVC and in my case it is impossible to run it as user, only root

btw, anyone has successfully run MPD on rasp jessie? in my case it is breaking after 1-2 songs, totally freezing

Rascas

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:55 am

reiper wrote:you're a good man!. nobody else cares about fully working linux + kodi.
openelec is really great but i also want some other features like nas, torrent, vpn, vnc, etc, so... linux.

there is a new version of kodi in testing repo but its impossible to just install it on current jessie. I tried to migrate to stretch but it broke my whole system.
I also tried Arch Linux which has kodi v16 but it still lacks of HEVC and in my case it is impossible to run it as user, only root

btw, anyone has successfully run MPD on rasp jessie? in my case it is breaking after 1-2 songs, totally freezing
The version of Kodi in the Raspbian testing repo, is very likely to be the desktop version, with OpenGL, so it will not work on the Raspberry Pi.
I dont use MPD and it is a little offtopic. It is better to create a new post.

Relatively to my Kodi packages, the optimizations were allready applied after all. I tried to change some things and some more optimizations but without noticeble performance improvement in HEVC. I tried the unoficial OpenELEC Kodi 16 beta 3 build by Millhouse, and it has better performance indeed in HEVC, but not too much better, it couldn't play smooth some 1/2 MBits HEVC 720p videos that I tried. I don't even had or play HEVC files, I had to download some samples to test it, but I know that some people would like the better possible performance for this.

But for what I read and looked in the source code, I think that there are many optimizations that only work with VideoPlayer, the new player in Kodi that is named DVDPlayer till, and including Kodi 16. That test version already has VideoPlayer (kind of a mixed Kodi 16 and Kodi 17 build) and that is the reason for having better performance in HEVC I believe. So, not much that I can do for Kodi 16. I doubt that OpenELEC 7 Kodi 16 will have better performance than that test version, unless they also mix in VideoPlayer too.

I will compile new versions of Kodi 17 in the next days to see how it is performing on Raspbian.

Kratos

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 am

I have a slight problem:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
--2016-03-16 00:20:01--  http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
Resolving steinerdatenbank.de (steinerdatenbank.de)... 85.25.144.201
Connecting to steinerdatenbank.de (steinerdatenbank.de)|85.25.144.201|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2016-03-16 00:20:03 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 
Any ideas?

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

craigrachow

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:57 am

hi all
first i tried to sudo apt-get install kodi. didnt work so i sudo apt-get remove kodi.
i followed instructions on first post and accidentally installed weezy version (im on jessie-lite)
so i downloaded and installed jessie version from fist post but am getting error when trying to launch

open/dev/fb0: permission denied
/user/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries blah blah blah

i want to now removed every instance and version and word and trace of kodi and install it in the easiest method.... can someone help me out with the correct commands?

gkreidl

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 am

Did you run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
before doing anything else?

To remove a repository version run
sudo dpkg -r kodi kodi.bin
for my version
sudo dpkg -r kodi
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

craigrachow

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 am

gkreidl wrote:Did you run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sorry i cannot remember :(

thanks for the uninstall stuff, what is the best way to install it again? i dont need any special features, i just want a easy install. do i use the apt-get kodi method or try the method on the 1st post?

gkreidl

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am

craigrachow wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Did you run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sorry i cannot remember :(

thanks for the uninstall stuff, what is the best way to install it again? i dont need any special features, i just want a easy install. do i use the apt-get kodi method or try the method on the 1st post?
The version from the repository works for all RPis, but has some problems with 1080p HD TS video.
My version contains some special fixes and is compiled for RPi2/3 only.
I suggest you get the version from the repository and if you run into problems with HD video you can still install my version later on ... or get the kodi-16 version from pipplware which also contains the fixes.

asduskun

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:42 am

Rascas wrote:
SoftWord wrote:
Rascas wrote:SoftWord: Here you have all PVR addons for Kodi 15.X.

http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... in/binary/

Just download and install with dpkg -i
these

thanks for support :)

but I'v add that repository to my sources of apt and it work with apt-get:

"deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... ain/binary /"

it's right in that way?
Yes. That is a repo for a Raspberry Pi distribution based on Raspbian named Pipplware. You can check it here but it is only in portuguese.
http://pipplware.pplware.pt

You can add the repo by editing /etc/apt/sources.list or add it to a new file like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pipplware_jessie.list:

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary /
Than add the key:

wget -O - http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -
And update, upgrade and install Kodi:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install kodi
To install PVRs you can execute the following command to list all PVRs available:

apt-cache search kodi-pvr
And then install what you want, for example:

sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-iptvsimple
PS: The packages are compiled for armv6 so they work in all Raspberry versions.
PS2: This is for Jessie only
These instructions are for kodi version 16 right? If so I tried them all but it installs version 15.2 why?

Rascas

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:47 am

Yes, it has Kodi 16.0.
If it installs Kodi 15.2, you did something wrong and you probably have the Raspbian repo version installed.

Return to “Raspbian”