Raspbian Web Browser loads Mobile Web pages

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 pm

I tried to open Facebook on Web (Epiphany) and it opens only to Facebook Mobile. I put in the full desktop url - and it defaults automatically to m.facebook. Any way to change this?

DougieLawson

Re: Raspbian Web Browser loads Mobile Web pages

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 pm

It's doing that because Epiphany sends

Code: Select all

"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; ARM Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/538.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/538.15 Version/6.0 Debian/7.8 (3.8.2.0-0rpi18rpi1) Epiphany/3.8.2"
as the user-agent string.

I can't find any way to change that on the Raspberry Pi version of Epiphany.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:18 am

Some very stupid websites (developers) seem only to test for "arm" in the user agent string and then decide that it must be a mobile device.

That's one of the reasons why I added a command to change the user agent string in kweb(3). The application menu page contains some examples. You can select the user agent of Firefox Desktop (and others) with a single mouse click.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Tom_A

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 am

gkreidl wrote:Some very stupid websites (developers) seem only to test for "arm" in the user agent string and then decide that it must be a mobile device.

That's one of the reasons why I added a command to change the user agent string in kweb(3). The application menu page contains some examples. You can select the user agent of Firefox Desktop (and others) with a single mouse click.
Yes, the currently accepted way to write for mobile is to use media queries to check screen size. Some web sites I have running appear as mobile just if the window is small enough to display better that way. Writing an entire site just for mobile has been a poor solution and we should be seeing less and less of this. Might try Iceweasel or Chromium to see if they exhibit the same behavior.

Return to “Raspbian”