ktb

Re: Systemd Jessie errors

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Tom_A wrote:I keep debating installing Jessie, but I'm wondering what stability is like when you disable Systemd. For those who are using Jessie without Systemd, what is the user experience like? Do you prefer it to Wheezy? What have you noticed that has been added? Do you find performance to be better? I know that Systemd is supposed to have better performance, for example, quicker booting, (assuming it actually works) but have there been any other performance improvements not related to Systemd?
I had been using Raspbian Jessie without systemd for a while until yesterday. It works fine, but I don't think it's anything to get very excited about. In general, Jessie will provide newer versions of libraries and newer versions of many applications. It will also allow compiling more recent software which isn't possible or isn't as easy when using what Wheezy provides. Wheezy is very dated at this point. I think I've noticed certain performance improvements while using Jessie, but I don't have any specific numbers to provide you and I wouldn't say there is a huge difference.

Raspbian Jessie with systemd also works fine for me now.

If you ask more specific questions, you might get more specific answers.

Tom_A

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39 am

ktb wrote:If you ask more specific questions, you might get more specific answers.
Are you using a USB install? The biggest issue with systemd, from what I've read, is that it messes up with a USB install for some reason. I knew about the compiling issues and more recent versions which is really what tempts me to go ahead with the upgrade. I have one RPi 2 with xfce installed. It's going to be my traveling laptop substitute for when I don't want to worry about my laptop while on vacation.

ktb

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:00 am

Tom_A wrote:
ktb wrote:If you ask more specific questions, you might get more specific answers.
Are you using a USB install? The biggest issue with systemd, from what I've read, is that it messes up with a USB install for some reason. I knew about the compiling issues and more recent versions which is really what tempts me to go ahead with the upgrade. I have one RPi 2 with xfce installed. It's going to be my traveling laptop substitute for when I don't want to worry about my laptop while on vacation.
Yes, I use a USB hard drive (Western Digital - My Passport Ultra) for the root file system. I believe the last issue I was experiencing is no longer an issue.
viewtopic.php?p=771322#p771322
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109379

UPDATE: I may have spoken too soon. It seems as though I still occasionally have file corruption problems following a reboot or shutdown. It seems to happen less frequently as it used to happen every time. Oh well. It'll probably be fixed completely at some point in the future.

Tom_A

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 am

ktb wrote:UPDATE: I may have spoken too soon. It seems as though I still occasionally have file corruption problems following a reboot or shutdown. It seems to happen less frequently as it used to happen every time. Oh well. It'll probably be fixed completely at some point in the future.
So, I gave it a shot, just to see how well it worked and I did have issues when rebooting the first time. I switched to sysvinit and that fixed the problem, however I noticed that conky no longer displayed properly. There was a graphic and "ring" meters that would not display and the rings lua file was generating errors. Performance was pretty comparable otherwise and I might have stayed with Jessie had it been a noticeable improvement. Some things look more finished, like lightdm, however I fixed some of this on my Wheezy install.

I used grsync to make a backup of my root and boot partitions and used them to restore back to Wheezy. For some reason, this now boots a little faster than it did before. I know that cloning a drive this way has the side effect of defragging, however I didn't expect to see any benefit to this using a flash drive. Everything appears to be restored properly and I guess I did get a tiny bit more performance due to my experimenting, even though I went back to Wheezy.

ryskaposten

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 am

Have exactly the same problem:
[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service. See 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Start NTP daemon.
[FAILED] Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack. -||- avahi-daemon.service
[FAILED] Failed to start Modem Manager -||- Modem Manager.service
worked after apt-get update and apt-get upgrade (showed Jessie Debian 8 after reboot), BUT
stopped after dist-upgrade and reboot

Return to “Raspbian”