michaelf

Raspbian Buster and VNC Problem

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

I have for some time successfully accessed my RaspberryPi model B, running Raspbian Jessie( 8), from my MacBook using VNC over WiFi. I recently upgraded the Pi OS to Raspbian Buster (10) and now can longer access the Pi. (VNC Viewer on the Mac reports "User or Password incorrect"). I have set the VNC password after installing Buster to what it was before but to no avail. If I return to Jessie (simply swapped the SD card) it all works again. Can anybody please point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspbian Buster and VNC Problem

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:32 am

michaelf wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am
I have for some time successfully accessed my RaspberryPi model B, running Raspbian Jessie( 8), from my MacBook using VNC over WiFi. I recently upgraded the Pi OS to Raspbian Buster (10) and now can longer access the Pi. (VNC Viewer on the Mac reports "User or Password incorrect"). I have set the VNC password after installing Buster to what it was before but to no avail. If I return to Jessie (simply swapped the SD card) it all works again. Can anybody please point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

Raspbian Buster will need an update undertaken due to newer RealVNC packages since release:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot
Retired disgracefully.....

thatchunkylad198966

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 am

Yep, update/upgrade and it'll work again.
Take a look at this thread:

Code: Select all

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=248719
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

michaelf

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks to both "fruitoftheloom"and "thatchunkylad198966" for your comments and suggestions but I am afraid no success. I have also tried reverting the VNCServer installation to a previous version as suggested elsewhere but to no avail. I always get the same message that "either the user name or password is incorrect" so my suspicion is that my problem lies with the way VNCServer is set up under Buster but I haven't been able to determine exactly where the problem might be. The only feature of my particular system that I will mention in case it should ring any bells somewhere is that I have two separate Pi's, each with a separate IP address (obviously). The other Pi in my workshop is a "zero" running Raspbian Jessie and I connect to it via an ethernet connection (the link from my MacBook Pro to the router is wireless). The connection to the Pi B running Buster is wireless via the router. Both Pi's are listed as connections in the VNC Viewer on the MacBook Pro.

Return to “Raspbian”