Critanime

Pi 2 power question

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 am

Hi fello Pi'ers!

I bought two Pi 2 B's. One to tinker with and one as a emulation station. This question relates to the Pi that's going to be the emulator.

Are there any good all in one solutions for powering the Pi and also been a hub?

I'm planning on using a Xbox style controller, wireless keyboard and mouse combo and a wifi dongle. I can find powered hubs but I want one that powers everything and doesn't need a separate hub.

The project will go into a dead Atari 7800 case. So space is tight.

DougieLawson

Re: Pi 2 power question

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Why do you need a hub the PI2B has four ports? With

Code: Select all

max_usb_current=1
in /boot/config.txt you can run high power USB devices from there (as long as the microUSB power supply is good enough).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Critanime

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't know how much power the Pi could output through its own ports. So I wanted a powered hub to just make sure there was enough to power possibly two wired Xbox style controllers, a wifi dongle and wireless mouse and keyboard dongle.

But that code makes life easier because the project for the emulator has shifted to a dead dreamcast. So space isn't so much if a issue.

What kind of power supply would you recommend if I was to boost the power through the ports?

electronicman

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi I just got a Pi2 and my first experience was not so good. It turned out that the old power problem is back with Pi2. You really need a good PSU as it consumes more current. I have a number of 5VDC phone type chargers that do not work with the Pi2, so I used a home made PSU that worked very well.
There are some chargers that put out 1.5 or more Amps so I would get one of these if you can
David

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:21 pm

electronicman wrote:Hi I just got a Pi2 and my first experience was not so good. It turned out that the old power problem is back with Pi2. You really need a good PSU as it consumes more current. I have a number of 5VDC phone type chargers that do not work with the Pi2, so I used a home made PSU that worked very well.
There are some chargers that put out 1.5 or more Amps so I would get one of these if you can
Well, there are 4 cores now, not just one, so when running full tilt there is a bit more power demand. But at idle it should be about the same. It's not a question of an old problem coming back, just a more powerful chip needs a more powerful supply.

That said, the P2 I have runs of one of my laptop USB port, but won;t run of a powered hub. At least, not when the camera is one and someone else is logged in over SSH and doing stuff. (Yes, we are multi-usering a P2)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pantag

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:53 pm

I have a wireless KB/Mouse combo and an external USB HD 7200RPM and it is powered by the RPI2, using a 5V, 1.5A PSU.

As DL mentioned above, in order to "unlock" RPI2 to provide 1.2V power to its USB ports (instead of the standard 600mv), you NEED to add this line to the config.txt file:

max_usb_current=1

I did it and it works great. If you don't do this, you basically have a RPI model 1B as far the USB power goes, which would entail the annoying use of powered hubs.
----------
RPi 2 B
RPi B

Critanime

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Will doing this fix the slow wifi issue?

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Critanime wrote:Will doing this fix the slow wifi issue?
It's exceedingly unlikely to have any effect on WiFi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Critanime

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:26 am

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 2.1a power supply from CPC (would rather get it from a place like CPC than eBay after I bought something similar that exploded.) so should be here Monday. At the moment I am using my iPad charger. But my wife is complaining about having to share it lol. :lol:

hhoanganh

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 am

currently i get power for my Rasp B+ by using USB port of a TV, because my project needs the B+ on and off at the same time as the TV, it works for over 6 months. Is the version 2 ok with this type of power supply ?

Return to “General discussion”