IvanX

Pi Filler and Pi Finder for Mac updates now available

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello world,

I have updated my free utilities Pi Filler and Pi Finder for Mac users.

Pi Filler is, in my biased opinion, the easiest-to-use tool for writing an operating system image to an SD card. The new version 1.3 is about five times faster than it was before, allowing a card to be written in 5-7 minutes rather than a half hour. If all you want to do is get going with Raspbian or another distro, using Pi Filler is much faster than NOOBS. (Not that that's saying anything bad about NOOBS. NOOBS is awesome.) Obviously, YMMV depending on the speed of your SD card, USB 2 vs 3 for your SD reader, etc.

Pi Finder is an equally easy to use tool for scanning your network and finding your Pi in case you don't have a monitor attached to it. It makes it possible to write an OS with Pi Filler, then log into your Pi with SSH by using Pi Finder, all completely headless. The new version 1.1.1 adds compatibility with Yosemite (OS X 10.10).

You can get both at http://ivanx.com/raspberrypi and you can post here or email me if you have questions or feedback.
Last edited by IvanX on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardgrant

Re: Pi Filler and Pi Finder for Mac updates now available

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks, Ivan! This looks very helpful -- though I'll have to wait for the Pi to arrive before trying it. I've love that you've made an Apple II emulator.

IvanX

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:54 am

richardgrant wrote:I've love that you've made an Apple II emulator.
I wish I could actually say that I have! But others have made the emulators, I just compiled them and packaged them up to make them easy to install and use on a Pi.

However, that's just the tip of the iceberg -- I've got a whole custom distro of Raspbian designed for integrating a Pi with an Apple II, called Raspple II. Check it out!

The open spirit of the Pi and its community does remind me when of I first discovered the Apple II (and there's still a community for that too, believe it or not).

mswanson

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Ivan, lovely program. I have one complaint: if I am copying with pi filler or pi copier and my machine goes to sleep or I lock the screen (which happens frequently since I work in a secure environment) the process stops and I get an error. Have you looked into this at all?

Thanks,
Matthew

Return to “General discussion”