gmc

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm

paulie wrote:Ordered a Pi2 Ninja from Pimoroni at 3pm today. In the Post by 6pm.
Why couldn't RS do that? Still no confirmation of order.
RS are dropping the ball again on this one. Mines supposed to be shipping tomorrow but I haven't had any follow up mails so we will see.

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm

The problem as I see it is this... People order online, but this does not seem to be connected to their order system. Let us assume that the orders are satisfied in the order they are put on the order system... The first problem is, have these gone back on in the same order as they were originally ordered on the website? Second, are outstanding orders being satisfied first come first served (subject to going back on in the right order) or are they shipping largest orders first?

The recording suggested that existing orders could be bounced for a big order - but nearly all the people making big orders are not the target users, just resellers - and they then have to get them to the end users provided they are not completely hacked off by then.

On Monday morning I was full of enthusiasm for RPi 2 and had a mathematical problem in mind to try on one. I was perfectly happy to wait a few days so was very happy to see that RS could provide units from stock. But this turned out to be false and the stock had already been sold to someone else (or was later on in the day, I can't tell). More than two days later I still have no idea when my one is going to be shipped and am now totally pi**ed off with the whole thing.

Back in 2012, RS put up a mug to answer questions on this forum when they serviced orders in exactly the same way. Are they brave enough to do so again and explain what has happened to Monday's phantom orders? And why did their website advertise stock again today while my one still hasn't been shipped? Why haven't they sent out any updates to the people on back-order today and expect each individual person to hang around for the phone to be answered or for an agent to become available instead?

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Just had another look on the RS website and now my order, which still has an RPi 2 outstanding, has disappeared off the system. Great!

macbreak

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:45 pm

RS = "Really Slack".

jsewell

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Same, my order no longer displays on the site. I ordered on Monday and got an initial confirmation, saying due to arrive Tuesday, then another on Tuesday saying that I had actually ordered on Tuesday. I've yet to receive a dispatch email.
I called them up and was told that they had loads in stock and were just having trouble getting them sent out quick enough, I'm not sure I believe that any more.

I was really looking forward to this but RS seem to be pretty incompetent, no idea when or if I'll actually get one now. I'll see if I can call again tomorrow, only picked RS as the Pi website directly linked to them.

vinntec

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 am

And the saga continues - once again RS are showing 2,463 in stock for next day delivery http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/ when they have not satisfied the back orders from Monday yet... No updates and my order still shows "Order in progress" so no idea when mine will come, if at all, especially if they are not enforcing a first come first served system. I am getting mightily hacked off (and that's not the best term to describe it) :x

gmc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:09 am

Mailed RS yesterday. No reply. Looks like I"ll have to phone them today to find out what's going on. My orders still showing blank.

You are correct:

Code: Select all

In stock for delivery next working day
Really?!! Where my pi then???!!! :?

EtonMess

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 am

RS normal business is to supply companies on 30 day credit accounts with adhoc items, with a steady and predictable order rate.
They are not geared towards dealing with individual consumers and a sudden deluge if orders.

So it is no surprise that they struggle a bit with their systems dealing with situations like this.
.G6FIR

gordonrgw

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 am

mailed RS yesterday, I was told to expect my Pi 21/02/2015, checking today date ordered has been changed to 4/02/15!

"In stock for delivery next working day" apparently though. really frustrating and annoying.

gmc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:38 am

Just chatted to a agent. They really have no idea what's going on.

My order which I placed 2 days ago:

I can tell you this order as yet has not been processed, we have had a huge demand for this and we are working as fast as possible on these orders.

ETA?:

We are currently showing the 21.02.2014, we do however expect this to be bought forward as we have a large shipment coming in today.

On the website:

Code: Select all

In stock for delivery next working day
You would have thought they would have learnt from the first R-Pi fiasco. I"m sorry I ordered from these clowns now! :(

vinntec

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:51 am

After trying to phone and listening to ringing and refreshing screens for an agent to be free, I finally got through on LiveChat. I want to cancel the order, you can't because it has already been despatched. What? says I, it is showing as Order in Progress? I'll check. Yes here is the ParcelForce tracking number and you will get an update soon? Number looks valid, not known by ParcelForce but might not have been picked up yet. Conclusion - they (RS not the individual agent) haven't a clue what they are doing but if it doesn't go out today and arrive tomorrow, I will be even more hopping mad than I am already! :evil:

gmc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:36 am

I see they have finally updated the stock status.

Sorry out of stock. More information to follow.

Lesson learnt - Will be the last time I use RS! Rather pay a bit more and get delivery on time.

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:55 am

gmc wrote: Lesson learnt - Will be the last time I use RS! Rather pay a bit more and get delivery on time.
I've never used RS since they took 12 weeks to ship my original model B. Ordered in August 2012, delivered in October 2012.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

notsnowden

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 am

Well my "hopefully going out (last)night" Pi 2 is still showing as just in progress with no update. I am shocked. Shocked! :roll:
As I'm sure are all the others who have experienced the RS way in the past.

Lesson learned here, if it isn't shipped in a few hours I'll abandon it and go with CPC. Or possibly a pack of barely trained monkeys. I'd have more faith in them than in RS.

gmc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Was just about to order from CPC when I got a mail from RS.

Order in progress

Will give them a few hours as well before cancelling

piglet

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 pm

I used the The Pi hut for the first time. Nice easy order using paypal. Pi2 arrived yesterday. Just saying. :oops:

civickurt

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:30 pm

I have been having the same problem as everyone else when ordered on Monday. If you go on rs and check stock levels it says in stock for next day delivery but when you check stock levels for more than 1 it says out of stock. I will not be ordering from them again

blc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Katch wrote:In defence of RS

ordered at 9:16 on launch day

3 emails received, Confirmation, notification and dispatch

RPi2 in my hands at 17:30 the next day. All for less than £30.
Ditto. Clearly I'm in the minority but I had no issue with my RS order at all. I ordered at about 0930 on Monday and by 1330 on Tuesday I had Parcel Farce at my door. I had some fun collecting the missed delivery from my local Post Office, but to that fault lies with my local Post Office and not Parcel Farce or RS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:57 pm

blc wrote:
Katch wrote:In defence of RS

ordered at 9:16 on launch day

3 emails received, Confirmation, notification and dispatch

RPi2 in my hands at 17:30 the next day. All for less than £30.
Ditto. Clearly I'm in the minority but I had no issue with my RS order at all. I ordered at about 0930 on Monday and by 1330 on Tuesday I had Parcel Farce at my door. I had some fun collecting the missed delivery from my local Post Office, but to that fault lies with my local Post Office and not Parcel Farce or RS.
No you are not in the minority - the people posting above are though.

There were 150k Pi2 manufactured before launch and they all been sold (in 2 days). 20k per day are being made, and they are being sold as soon as they hit the shelves. The backorder at Sony is for 1M items.

So a LOT of people are getting Pi's within a day or two of ordering, just not everyone. The problem is, generally, only the complainers are posting and giving a incorrect view of what is actually happening. Which is huge demand.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

blc

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:23 pm

jamesh wrote:No you are not in the minority - the people posting above are though.

There were 150k Pi2 manufactured before launch and they all been sold (in 2 days). 20k per day are being made, and they are being sold as soon as they hit the shelves. The backorder at Sony is for 1M items.

So a LOT of people are getting Pi's within a day or two of ordering, just not everyone. The problem is, generally, only the complainers are posting and giving a incorrect view of what is actually happening. Which is huge demand.
True. Perhaps I should have said "Clearly I'm in the minority in this thread" :)

notsnowden

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 pm

This problem is nothing to do with the demand. It's to do with a company with a clear track record of having ridiculous issues with stock control or just plain lying to secure more orders. There is NO reason at all that the site cannot keep an accurate stock level - why does it appear to keep being in stock then sold out if they are still trying to fill the existing orders? The customer service people appear to be able to accurately learn of stock and order levels, within seconds using the live chat. So if they can get an accurate stock level... Well, it exists well enough for them to be using it. And other companies are able to give accurate assessments of the situation they are in. And keep people and their sites updated on the progress.

*I* could write a more accurate stock system than that. Probably in BASIC. I could sure as hell make it keep the customers updated rather than "oh that date is inaccurate (er, where does it come from and why use it then?) don't worry about it, we might send yours out tonight" - "in progress". Am I to expect it to go out today? It seems unlikely at this point in the day, but who knows?

I'm not convinced RS knows. That's not down to demand. It's down to them not putting the effort into setting up a system that can handle what is at the simplest form "stock level - 1 completed order = new stock level" and "if stock = 0 remove in stock button. Not "if stock level = 0 randomly keep saying there is stock and offering it despite massive backlog"

It's not that complicated.
They've had years to fix it. They just haven't bothered. As someone else said it's like a mid to late 90's company just catching up with this new fangled interweb electric highway thingy.

Massi

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Incredibly, it seems that italian RS site is much clearer than UK one..
I mean, i tryed to order the first day. They cancelled my order (lol) but then appeared on the site that the pi2 will be available since 20th february. It seems to have a sense, much more that "all orders dispatched tonight, order NOW" and then a wonderful nothing..

BMS Doug

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:13 pm

On Monday I ordered my Pi2 B from CPC, even though RS was cheaper.

On Tuesday (about 11am) I ordered some fuses for next day delivery, they arrived this afternoon (Thursday).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

vinntec

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Hmm it seems as though insulting fellow Pi users is permitted on this forum now and by one of the moderators? Sheesh

I ordered the RPi 2 on MONDAY and have still not received it despite being charged at the time. When I ordered it the website said it was in stock and the order confirmation said it would be delivered next day. Later on it was changed to back-order without telling me and has remained there since. So I am supposed to lie on my back to have my tummy rubbed and say "what a nice bunch of fellows they are at RS, they have fouled up my Pi order for the second time"?

So where did the stock which lasted for 2 days go to? If you are saying it is perfectly acceptable to take orders and money on promises of a next day delivery then move you a long way down the queue, then obviously I am being unreasonable and just moaning for no reason.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:17 pm

All I can say is that we're building Pi 2s at a rate of 20,000 a day: we expect everyone who has ordered one to get one within the next week or so, no matter what the automatic message on vendors' websites tells you.

I'm locking this thread - not because I don't think that some of you have serious complaints, but because we have a business relationship with RS and they take a dim view of our forums being used to vent about them. I really do hear what you're saying, and I've made sure that the managers there have seen what you're saying here. There seem to have been a number of mistakes made with orders, and I'll be having conversations with them about how they stop that happening another time.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”