User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm

exartemarte wrote:I learned my lesson with RS at the time of the original launch. It wasn't the interminable delays so much as the fact that they took my money on day one. I've bought a number of Pis since then, and lots of other stuff, but nothing from RS.
Ordered one from Rapid Electronics yesterday (Tuesday), and it was delivered this morning. Rapid is not the cheapest source, but I have always found them prompt and reliable.

At the same time I ordered a Pimoroni Coupe case - ostensibly a good buy since it lifted the total order above the free delivery threshold - but unfortunately the case does not fit the Pi2. (In fairness to Rapid, they didn't actually claim that it would.) I have contacted Pimoroni in the hope that they will supply a replacement layer. I'll let you know how I get on.

User avatar
leon_heller
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: St. Leonards-on-Sea, E. Sussex, UK.

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:03 pm

I ordered a Pi 2 on Monday from RS and received it yesterday. They are now out of stock but are expecting a delivery of another 14,400 units by the end of the week. I've ordered another five for my various friends and acquaintances in other countries.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Feahnor
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:08 pm

notsnowden wrote:"We are hoping that you order will go out tonight for delivery as we have 14,400 more units in today & 3000 each day after that.
Our web system is showing delivery for the 22nd Feb this is an incorrect date thankfully."
RS live chat just now. Got to say, at least that part of RS is fast and knowledgable.
How can i access RS live chat?. I can't find it in their site.

gmc
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Was just going to ask the same question - also don't see a chat link?

vinntec
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:41 pm

gmc wrote:Was just going to ask the same question - also don't see a chat link?
It nearly always says "All our agents are busy". I have been given some real garbage answers but sounds like - maybe - they are finally getting their act together. They sent everyone a "sorry" email, but why not an update one to say what the current plan is?

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:52 pm

exartemarte wrote:
exartemarte wrote:I learned my lesson with RS at the time of the original launch. It wasn't the interminable delays so much as the fact that they took my money on day one. I've bought a number of Pis since then, and lots of other stuff, but nothing from RS.
Ordered one from Rapid Electronics yesterday (Tuesday), and it was delivered this morning. Rapid is not the cheapest source, but I have always found them prompt and reliable.

At the same time I ordered a Pimoroni Coupe case - ostensibly a good buy since it lifted the total order above the free delivery threshold - but unfortunately the case does not fit the Pi2. (In fairness to Rapid, they didn't actually claim that it would.) I have contacted Pimoroni in the hope that they will supply a replacement layer. I'll let you know how I get on.
Pimoroni responded very quickly but only offered the purchase of a new layer at £2.00 plus £3.00 postage which would raise the price of the case to more than I think it is worth. I am therefore recycling an excellent, cheap and cheerful SBC B+ case which fits the Pi2 perfectly. If you are tempted to complement your Pi2 with a Pimoroni case, be sure to do your research.

vinntec
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 pm

exartemarte wrote: Pimoroni responded very quickly but only offered the purchase of a new layer at £2.00 plus £3.00 postage which would raise the price of the case to more than I think it is worth. I am therefore recycling an excellent, cheap and cheerful SBC B+ case which fits the Pi2 perfectly. If you are tempted to complement your Pi2 with a Pimoroni case, be sure to do your research.
I ordered a Pimoroni case on Monday with everything else (as all the RS ones were out of stock) and I thought the website was very clear that you had to get the updated version for the RPi 2 due to a small difference, but maybe this was not there first thing? However, the first part of what was expected last, has just arrived, the Pimoroni case! The delivery note clearly says it is for both RPi2 and B+. Well done, them.

themunchkinbear
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Same for me.. I ordered Monday, was told it was in stock and surprise surprise an email at the end of Tuesday saying it had been delayed.

When is an item in stock not an item in stock :-
http://blog.themunchkinbear.co.uk/post/ ... m-in-stock

:evil:

themunchkinbear
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Can I suggest people try https://cpc.farnell.com/ I phoned them and they confirmed in stock - as does their website.

gordonrgw
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Same here, ordered Monday as an 'In Stock' item, then the 'Out of Stock' email, then today an order confirmation email which has raised my original invoice amount from £22.85 to £24.90, the price has also gone up on their site..

vinntec
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm

WTF! Now I check the RPi 2 page again http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/ and it is showing stock. So I was right. 153 in stock but no despatch notice for me, so nearly all the 22,000 went in a few seconds. I notice they are starting to appear on EBay already, and not just on electronics suppliers... Great!

Feahnor
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:11 pm

How can I buy from RS?. It ask me for the legal info of my company, but I'm an individual.

gmc
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Cheshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Just gone to the RS UK site and tried to buy now:

Sorry the Pi 2 is temporarily out of stock, but with another 14,400 units coming in before Thursday (5/2/2015) you won't have to wait long to get yours. Order NOW

gordonrgw
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Invoice sorted (I *think*), now order is showing..

"Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 20/02/2015, delivery next working day"

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:44 pm

vinntec wrote:
exartemarte wrote: Pimoroni responded very quickly but only offered the purchase of a new layer at £2.00 plus £3.00 postage which would raise the price of the case to more than I think it is worth. I am therefore recycling an excellent, cheap and cheerful SBC B+ case which fits the Pi2 perfectly. If you are tempted to complement your Pi2 with a Pimoroni case, be sure to do your research.
I ordered a Pimoroni case on Monday with everything else (as all the RS ones were out of stock) and I thought the website was very clear that you had to get the updated version for the RPi 2 due to a small difference, but maybe this was not there first thing? However, the first part of what was expected last, has just arrived, the Pimoroni case! The delivery note clearly says it is for both RPi2 and B+. Well done, them.
Indeed, I have no beef with Pimoroni but I didn't order directly from them. I was hoping they might offer a free or cheap replacement layer as a matter of good customer relations, but there's no reason why they should - I should have researched more thoroughly.

Feahnor
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Anyone?
Feahnor wrote:How can I buy from RS?. It ask me for the legal info of my company, but I'm an individual.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10459
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Feahnor wrote:Anyone?
Feahnor wrote:How can I buy from RS?. It ask me for the legal info of my company, but I'm an individual.
what country ?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/
works fine for individuals
what is sown
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Feahnor
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:01 pm

France. It tolds me to enter the SIREN number, and that's the French business identification number.

bobbydriver
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 am

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 pm

I ordered mine from RS UK on the morning of launch and it arrived next day (yesterday)

However – I ordered a B+ case with it (my existing PI is an A so I can’t reuse the case)

No case in the order when I opened it. The despatch note inside said it should be there. So I called them and they said that they realised “the B+ case doesn’t fit the new RP2” so they cancelled them off every order. Just didn’t inform anyone.

Has anyone tried their RP2 in a B+ case – is this right? Currently my RP2 is feeling naked

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

bobbydriver wrote:So I called them and they said that they realised “the B+ case doesn’t fit the new RP2” so they cancelled them off every order.
That's odd - I have mine in an SBC B+ case and it's fine. Pimoroni B+ cases don't fit and I've read there are problems with some fancy cases that have internal heatsinks and the like, but the popular view seems to be that the vast majority of B+ cases will accommodate a Pi2 without problems.

bobbydriver
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 am

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm

yeah the guy at RS didn't sound very convincing. I suspect that they just had no stock and didn't want to split the orders. It's barely worth their while to send a £4 case out separately when I've only paid the postage for one shipment

macbreak
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 pm

RS Components appear like they're stuck in 1997. Their whole company smacks of one which hasn't quite caught up with e-commerce in an efficient and productive manner.

Just called them - listen: https://audioboom.com/boos/2860584-rs-c ... h-feb-2015

robwriter
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm

I cancelled my order with RS (which had to be done via the phone) and ordered one elsewhere. I've no idea if it'll actually arrive faster but I feel happier knowing that they don't get my money.

macbreak
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:48 pm

bertwert wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:RS delivered my RPi 2 B this afternoon, ordered at 8:15 yesterday

..any offers ? ROFL :lol:
$10 including shipping?
^ This guyyyy.... :lol: :mrgreen:

paulie
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Ordered a Pi2 Ninja from Pimoroni at 3pm today. In the Post by 6pm.
Why couldn't RS do that? Still no confirmation of order.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Return to “General discussion”