ric96

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:17 am

I replaced my order from a b+ to Pi2 from RS India and the order in my account still shows b+.
RS people are saying that the order would be changed once their product portfolio has been updated on Friday!!!
Last edited by ric96 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:18 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:The resellers like Pimoroni have some levels of stock, and Sony are upping production to 80k per week....there should be plenty to go round in a few days.
Heard about that...but I'm just a trifle dubious.

1. *When* will the production hit that level?
2. Does that cover all models of Pi?
3. Does that--perhaps--include the upcoming display?
4. Eben said that sales are running at 200K per month. At 80K per week, that's about 320K per month (or a bit more). With this surge in demand on top of normal sales...how long will it take for suppliers to keep stock on hand?
Currently, Sony have outstanding orders for Pi2 that exceed ~1 million units. It's in their interest to fulfil these orders as quickly as possible.

B+ and B models are therefore pushed down the priority list until the initial surge of demand for Pi2 "wanes". These are still in production but will be "batched" according to demand - 10k here, 10k there - same as the Model B availability after B+ hit the market.

The initial run of display board PCBs have been manufactured - we are awaiting final EMC testing certification before being able to ship them.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Feahnor

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:38 am

RS is out of stock. Is there any other place from I can order it to be sent to France?

ktb

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:45 am

Feahnor wrote:RS is out of stock. Is there any other place from I can order it to be sent to France?
http://kubii.fr/507-nouveau-raspberry-p ... b-1gb.html

Feahnor

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:12 am

jdb wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:The resellers like Pimoroni have some levels of stock, and Sony are upping production to 80k per week....there should be plenty to go round in a few days.
Heard about that...but I'm just a trifle dubious.

1. *When* will the production hit that level?
2. Does that cover all models of Pi?
3. Does that--perhaps--include the upcoming display?
4. Eben said that sales are running at 200K per month. At 80K per week, that's about 320K per month (or a bit more). With this surge in demand on top of normal sales...how long will it take for suppliers to keep stock on hand?
Currently, Sony have outstanding orders for Pi2 that exceed ~1 million units. It's in their interest to fulfil these orders as quickly as possible.

B+ and B models are therefore pushed down the priority list until the initial surge of demand for Pi2 "wanes". These are still in production but will be "batched" according to demand - 10k here, 10k there - same as the Model B availability after B+ hit the market.

The initial run of display board PCBs have been manufactured - we are awaiting final EMC testing certification before being able to ship them.
Interesting...on both the Pi2B order volume (that's at the wholesale level, right?) and that the initial batch of displays is that close to going out.

At least Eben didn't limit the initial batch of Pi2Bs to 10K. You guys definitely have a hit on your hands. Congratulations. I feel even more fortunate that I managed to get an order in and it has shipped (I should have it Saturday, according to FedEx).

FYI...While the RPF Forums weren't accessible, I checked the Odroid-C1 forums. Yeah...they're talking about the Pi2B and much of the commentary is favorable.

Nightwing2012

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:21 am

ktb wrote:Ordered from http://www.newark.com / Element14 @ 2/2/15 3.18 AM

Merchandise Total $35.00
Shipping $8.66
Additional Charges $0.00
Tax $3.24
Total $46.90

Spartanburg, SC -> Chicago, IL

Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 02/04/2015, By End of Day
Same here... Did you get a we ship it message?

ktb

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:23 am

I don't think so, but I've tracked the package and it's in IL and nearby already.

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:46 am

vinntec wrote: Now the REALLY annoying bit, Check stock level for 100,000 units and what is the answer: "22998 In stock - 2 Locations 22998 Next working day (UK stock) 77002 Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 07/05/2015, delivery next working day"
A check this morning on the RS UK website still shows "22953" in stock so a few have been allocated overnight, but to whom? Looks like CPC will handle my electronics needs in the future...

EDIT: This stock shows on the main website where I placed my order from. However, if I click on RPI2 on MY order, it takes me to a different page which says "Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 20/02/2015, delivery next working day" WTF? So it looks like 22,000 are being kept for business orders which they don't have while they delay individual ones which they do? And unlike CPC they don't seem to be getting daily shipments.
Last edited by vinntec on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 am

Looking on the CPC (Farnell UK) website, by contrast to RS it says "More stock arriving everyday. Limited stock - First come first served" which is patently not what RS have done with their stock.

Lob0426

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 am

Ordered two late on launch day, from Newark/Element 14, shipping date of 2/23/15.

I learned my lesson from RS/Allied the first time around!

See my sig.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

EtonMess

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:27 am

My experience was a little easier.

On Monday AM I caught the story on one of the embargo breaking websites, and some resourceful people had found the hidden URL for the V2 Pi sales page on RS (not supposed to be live until 9AM). So my order was placed a 0755, my despatch email arrived at 0930.

The one hitch was when the order was placed the screen showed free next working day delivery, totalling the order at £27.something inc VAT. Then a later email arrived saying they were adding another £4.95 for delivery, which they later reversed because it wasn't presented at the time the sale was authorised be me. I think that slip up has cost them with a lot of customers.

Had a little go on the Pi last night, very pleased and need another one now. Might wait a month or so though!
.G6FIR

Massi

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:13 am

jdb wrote:Currently, Sony have outstanding orders for Pi2 that exceed ~1 million units.
lol! i was thinking at PI like a funny hobby for nerds.
I am completely wrong!

Or i have understimated nerds LOL

Katch

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 am

In defence of RS

ordered at 9:16 on launch day

3 emails received, Confirmation, notification and dispatch

RPi2 in my hands at 17:30 the next day. All for less than £30.

Nightwing2012

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 am

ktb wrote:I don't think so, but I've tracked the package and it's in IL and nearby already.
Mine just hit the hub in San Diego... ^_^

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am

Katch wrote:In defence of RS

ordered at 9:16 on launch day

3 emails received, Confirmation, notification and dispatch

RPi2 in my hands at 17:30 the next day. All for less than £30.
Katch - well done. My beef is not that there is a delay but that it was advertised (and still is) as in stock at the time of order and original order confirmation said it was going to be shipped for next day delivery. Later on it was put on back-order and disappeared for a day from their system. If they said it was coming on Friday next week I could live with that, but what I can't is that they are doing their best and can't even predict when I will get it (while apparently sitting on a stock of 22,000 units).

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am

from the uk rs page today
Sorry the Pi 2 is temporarily out of stock, but with another 14,400 units coming in before Thursday (5/2/2015) you won't have to wait long to get yours. Order NOW
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/
cpc
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/shoppingCart ... tid=316029
have stock and more comes all the time
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:38 am

But... on this page http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8111284/, from which I placed my order, it shows as 22,000 in stock!

Feahnor

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:42 am

That's the B+, not the Pi 2.

vinntec

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 am

Feahnor wrote:That's the B+, not the Pi 2.
Well spotted! That's the trouble with being hopping mad! Now I end up on the right page. :x

But if I use the link from RPi homepage I still end up here http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... /832-6274/. I'd better go and have a strong coffee and get on with my work, but thanks for spotting my error.

jamesh

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:23 am

I suggest not trusting the stock levels - I tin they are selling so fast that the website is struggling to be accurate.

But as above, a LOT of backorders to cover even at the 80k per week production which should be in place soon if not already.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

gmc

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:59 am

Also confused like everyone else. Ordered from RS UK yesterday - the order still doesnt appear under my order.

When ordering though it did say out of stock - more stock expected tomorrow and will be delivered next day.

Lets wait and see.

notsnowden

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 am

Another "happy" RS customer here.
No, wait, the other thing. Frustrated and confused.

Ordered late on launch day, RS showed as in stock (and did for at least 2 hours afterward), allowed next day delivery (which is only allowed for items in stock) and confirmed the order as such too.
Next day no order appears. 24 hours after ordering I got the generic "sorry" email. Today after questioning it I now have a mysterious "in progress" order for it and appear to have been charged, with the confirm email listing late Feb date. Have asked whether this means it IS shipping after all and no response.
If it isn't updated soon I'm canning the order and reordering from CPC. Should have learned from the previous debacle with RS and the original Pi but nope.

notsnowden

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 pm

"We are hoping that you order will go out tonight for delivery as we have 14,400 more units in today & 3000 each day after that.
Our web system is showing delivery for the 22nd Feb this is an incorrect date thankfully."
RS live chat just now. Got to say, at least that part of RS is fast and knowledgable.

rahlquist

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm

@#$#@!$@!#$%@#%@

Now my MCM order has changed to back-ordered. Seriously when I ordered this bloody thing it said it was in stock, it said it was in stock for quite some time AFTER I ordered yet now I get shafted. I had been a customer with MCM for 33 years but right now I am reevaluating that. So RS is NOT the only problem child.

If only there was a way for a web site to have an accurate count of how many items a company has in inventory and then subtract the number of items ordered so that people don't get misled.. </sarcasm>

Return to “General discussion”