BlueShadow<3

Making An Auto SMS System

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Hello All,

I just had an idea of a system that'd send SMS on certain days. For example reminders via SMS for Business meetings etc.

I know this is possible and I wanted to know how and what language is best to use. One thing it has to have is an easy way to set reminders without having to recompile the program and re-ship it out.

If anyone has done this before, can they tell me how?

Thanks in advance.
Shadow<3

elatllat

Re: Making An Auto SMS System

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 am

If you don't want to figure out how to code it yourself you can just use google calendar or some intranet software.

If you wan sysadmin style you can use cron, at, curl, and http://www.text4free.net/personaltool.php
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

BlueShadow<3

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Shadow<3

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:35 pm

elatllat wrote:If you don't want to figure out how to code it yourself you can just use google calendar or some intranet software.
For a general purpose calendar try using Roaring Penguin's Remind.
sudo apt-get install remind
You WILL need to read the man page as it is a highly featured calendar system.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BlueShadow<3

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
elatllat wrote:If you don't want to figure out how to code it yourself you can just use google calendar or some intranet software.
For a general purpose calendar try using Roaring Penguin's Remind.
sudo apt-get install remind
You WILL need to read the man page as it is a highly featured calendar system.
Just another question, I'm a true noob. What language should I use? I want to make this program available, using PasteBin, I'm no pro at this... Also another thing... It wouldn't cost to send SMS From a Pi, would it? Because it is not a phone. I know nothing is free in this world... Just thought I'd check.

If it does... Can I set it up to send Emails?

Thanks! ;)
Shadow<3

mline

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:30 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:It wouldn't cost to send SMS From a Pi, would it? Because it is not a phone.
If you want send SMS with your Pi you must add a GSM module. This GSM module needs a SIM-card and this card will cost same as your SIM-card in your phone.

You should first learn basics ;)
<~~>

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote: Just another question, I'm a true noob. What language should I use?
The answer to that is a) whatever language you like and b) whatever language has the functions that you need in freely available libraries. The answer for me for "What language?" is S/370 or zSeries assembler (because I like that best) and not python (because I hate languages that add a syntactic value to whitespace). I'll struggle to get S/370 assembler running natively on a Pi.

Ultimately it's your choice.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

BlueShadow<3

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:24 pm

mline wrote:
BlueShadow<3 wrote:It wouldn't cost to send SMS From a Pi, would it? Because it is not a phone.
If you want send SMS with your Pi you must add a GSM module. This GSM module needs a SIM-card and this card will cost same as your SIM-card in your phone.
What about E-mail?
Shadow<3

BlueShadow<3

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BlueShadow<3 wrote: Just another question, I'm a true noob. What language should I use?
The answer to that is a) whatever language you like and b) whatever language has the functions that you need in freely available libraries. The answer for me for "What language?" is S/370 or zSeries assembler (because I like that best) and not python (because I hate languages that add a syntactic value to whitespace). I'll struggle to get S/370 assembler running natively on a Pi.

What about LUA?
Shadow<3

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:36 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:
What about LUA?
See above ^^^^
For most support from more forum correspondents you'll do best to stick to the most popular language - python (which is a language I dislike because of the python 2.7 vs python 3.2 mess and the syntax requirement (which causes difficult to find bugs in programs)).

I've read the docs for Lua, it's a general purpose interpreted language but I can't think of anything it does that can't be done in other languages.

BlueShadow<3

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BlueShadow<3 wrote:
What about LUA?
See above ^^^^
For most support from more forum correspondents you'll do best to stick to the most popular language - python (which is a language I dislike because of the python 2.7 vs python 3.2 mess and the syntax requirement (which causes difficult to find bugs in programs)).

I've read the docs for Lua, it's a general purpose interpreted language but I can't think of anything it does that can't be done in other languages.

So because I only know a little LUA. I can use it? Because I like LUA...
Shadow<3

r3d4

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:30 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:
Just try it !
I cant think of any reason it wont work , but i didnt think all that mutch + i might think at a leisurely pace!
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

BlueShadow<3

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 pm

r3d4 wrote:
BlueShadow<3 wrote:
Just try it !
I cant think of any reason it wont work , but i didnt think all that mutch + i might think at a leisurely pace!
Do you think E-mail will work with it?
Shadow<3

r3d4

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:44 pm

IMAP or pop :)

I think you should try it and find out ;)
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

BlueShadow<3

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm

IMAP, I really want this to work....
Shadow<3

default_user8

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US you can send SMS via email. You should check with your cellular provider. Of course you could do all that with a gmail account and gmail calendar which would cut out the raspi completely. And what fun would that be?
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

nick9000

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 pm

I use http://www.textlocal.com/

A bit of python to talk to their API and you're on your way. My pi sends me an SMS when it detects motion on the camera. I can also send it an SMS to turn on electrical equipment via my pi-mote http://www.raspberrypi.org/controlling- ... e-pi-mote/

BlueShadow<3

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm

default_user8 wrote:Don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US you can send SMS via email. You should check with your cellular provider. Of course you could do all that with a gmail account and gmail calendar which would cut out the raspi completely. And what fun would that be?
I wanted to make a program with a GUI that I can set up events that'll be stored in a spreadsheet. The pi will read the sheet. Then email the contents of a column named "Description" to certain people. Their E-mail address will be in the BCC line so nobody can get their email. It would be easy to add/remove email addresses and events. That's my vision. The only thing restricting me is my Noobyness
Shadow<3

BlueShadow<3

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:50 pm

nick9000 wrote:I use http://www.textlocal.com/

A bit of python to talk to their API and you're on your way. My pi sends me an SMS when it detects motion on the camera. I can also send it an SMS to turn on electrical equipment via my pi-mote http://www.raspberrypi.org/controlling- ... e-pi-mote/
So this WILL work?
Shadow<3

BlueShadow<3

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:
default_user8 wrote:Don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US you can send SMS via email. You should check with your cellular provider. Of course you could do all that with a gmail account and gmail calendar which would cut out the raspi completely. And what fun would that be?
I wanted to make a program with a GUI that I can set up events that'll be stored in a spreadsheet. The pi will read the sheet. Then email the contents of a column named "Description" to certain people. Their E-mail address will be in the BCC line so nobody can get their email. It would be easy to add/remove email addresses and events. That's my vision. The only thing restricting me is my Noobyness
Can someone edit this so it will use E-mail instead of SMS? http://www.textlocal.com/simple-developer-sms-api
Shadow<3

Jednorozec

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:07 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:Can someone edit this so it will use E-mail instead of SMS? http://www.textlocal.com/simple-developer-sms-api
Maybe you'd like someone to do the entire project for you. :evil:
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

BlueShadow<3

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
BlueShadow<3 wrote:Can someone edit this so it will use E-mail instead of SMS? http://www.textlocal.com/simple-developer-sms-api
Maybe you'd like someone to do the entire project for you. :evil:
I'm just a noob, I need someone to show me the ropes. That's all!
Shadow<3

r3d4

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:23 am

:roll:
Brian wrote:Education isn't everything; for a start it isn't an elephant.

Return to “General discussion”