wiggis

Re: Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Just FYI - ordered 2 RPI's from Farnell yesterday having cancelled with RS the day before.

Both Farnell units arrived today - revision 2 boards made in UK.

Now that ladies and gentlemen, is how you do that :D

Now come on RS - process my refund please! :cry:

numanoids

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

snomis wrote:Success at last - Order number 82*** ordered June 20

email received from RS today - ORDER DISPATCHED

Hopefully this will be a light at the end of the tunnel for everyone thats been waiting so long.. :D
Glad to hear someone has had some success although I'm about 18000 being you in the queue so doubt mine will be anytime soon.

can I ask if you just ordered the board or did you order accessories as well?

roop

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:53 pm

That's what I get by ordering the cheapest rPi out there...

Is there a way to order a rPi with clear case and delivery to germany for 45 to 50€?
I'm a student therefore it's hard to pay more (even thou i'm studying IT...)
I don't have a credit card so paypal would be nice =).

Greets
Last edited by roop on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Toirtín Súcraobh wrote:
Dweeber wrote:
Toirtín Súcraobh wrote:I will hang on for RS to deliver my Pi, but my view of both RS and the Foundation has suffered by the lack of ability of both to manage this situation and resolve it adequately and quickly.
??

I clearly don't get this at all.

As soon as I found out there was an alternative source for the same product I would not hesitate to cancel and order from the other source.

I see no point in continuing to wait for a product from a company that clearly doesn't have a handle on what they are doing. And I certainly would not be giving the Foundation a hard time because one of their distributors screwed up especially when I could get a Pi in the hand in a matter of days.

Simple supply and demand issue...

I'd rather be playing than complaining...
Good for you if you're able to afford to order the Pi from multiple sources. Some of us can't.

And as I said, the buck stops with the Foundation and they need to be able to manage their agents better. Why couldn't they insinst that RS pass some of their orders on to Farnell for instance, to take some of the pressure off RS's inability to manage their order list? Have they no clout in this at all?
Rubbish. The Foundation does not manage their 'agents' - RS and Farnell are both large companies with which the foundation has manufacturing and distribution contracts - they are not 'agents'. Now, the Foundation can give advice etc, and do, constantly, but if RS or anyone else do not take that advice, there is nothing the Foundation can do without breaching their contract. And that would be a very foolish and costly thing to do.The Foundation is as frustrated as any one would be with the situation (and not just the stuff that visible to the general public, but that's a story for the book of the film of the play)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

snomis

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

numanoids wrote:
snomis wrote:Success at last - Order number 82*** ordered June 20

email received from RS today - ORDER DISPATCHED

Hopefully this will be a light at the end of the tunnel for everyone thats been waiting so long.. :D
Glad to hear someone has had some success although I'm about 18000 being you in the queue so doubt mine will be anytime soon.

can I ask if you just ordered the board or did you order accessories as well?

I ordered a few accessories with the Pi, clear case, SD cards, lots of leads.

One thing though, the dispatch email didn't contain any way of tracking the order so I'm waiting on RS to get back to me.

kspn

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

My RS RasPi is finally being dispatched! Yay (Order #85xxx) but RS just got worse.

I received 2 emails about the RasPi being dispatched, and one of them was for someone else. This is NOT GOOD on their part!

(and apparently it is another 21 days because I live outside of the UK)
No Coffee, No Workee

Ignas

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 pm

kspn wrote:(and apparently it is another 21 days because I live outside of the UK)
Well, back in August I received my Pi the next day (even less than 24 hours) after dispatch. And I also live outside UK. DHL is damn fast :D

openloopx

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I might as well hang in then; my order was at the end of June.
Reminds me of a similar saga, many years ago, with the BBC computer. I can't believe the £s spent on acquiring a 6502 processor-based machine and the lengthy delivery time. To be fair to RS, I have enjoyed good service from them in the past and they have sent me the ocassional apologetic email over their delivery delays.

Pi-Scan

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Cancelled my order with RS last night. Today i got confirmation.

Also today my pi from "New IT" (ordered this morning) is shipped today!

I ordered once before from RS (just components) and without receiving a bill, they send me 2 last reminders of payment at once.

cjthebrave

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 pm

kspn wrote:My RS RasPi is finally being dispatched! Yay (Order #85xxx)
Errrrrrrm - so what exactly happened to my order 83nnn ???? :evil:

But then they coudn't count the first time - why should I be surprised.

RS - however many sarcastic or cynical connotations we could come up with for their initials, probably deserve every last one of them !

sgegreen

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Seems that RS shipped to Maplin, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 84#p182384 for jamesh's mention of pink boxes.

wiggis

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 pm

sgegreen wrote:Seems that RS shipped to Maplin, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 84#p182384 for jamesh's mention of pink boxes.
Wonderful .... :evil:

ferrymanr

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Just received this from RS:-
>>>>>>>>>>
You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/09/2012 using our Express 24 service. The tracking reference number is xxxxxxxx
<<<<<<<<<<
My order number was 825xx of 20/6/2012.
Seems things are moving now although it does say "due to be despatched" not "has been despatched".
Wonder if I will also get some bauble as a free gift like the Chinese sellers on eBay do :-)
Richard

mjohns

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 pm

After the frustrating long wait for RS to get their butt in to gear, I decided to give up and try to locate another vendor selling the Pi. I saw a link posted on this forum for 'New IT'. Having visited their website and seeing that they had Rev. 2 Made in the UK boards in stock, I looked in their contact section to see if I could call them and find out their stock levels (to see if they still had any). I was surprised to find that 'New IT' are pretty local to me, I'm in Peterborough and they're in Downham Market. The friendly chap on the phone said he had plenty in stock, and was expecting another delivery tomorrow!

So I arranged with this friendly chap to nip over to their unit to purchase one. Well, what can I say? I've finally got my hands on a Raspberry Pi, and it's a Rev. 2 board too!

If anyone else is frustrated at RS for not keeping us all informed, taking our money before they've even produced the goods, and the extremely long wait, may I suggest 'New IT'.

Having been inside their unit tonight, they have three boxes full of Pi's. I was their last customer of the day, so the stocks are very accurate. They're also expecting another 300 more tomorrow, so they will have plenty in stock.

I would like to thank wiggis for the link to New IT (http://www.newit.co.uk/). I am now very happy with my new Pi. My order with RS has now been cancelled, I just hope I get my refund sometime before Xmas!!!

Mark.

Dweeber

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm

ferrymanr wrote:Wonder if I will also get some bauble as a free gift like the Chinese sellers on eBay do :-)
You get to keep the shipping box it comes in. If there is bubble wrap you can enjoy popping the bubbles.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

bwoodbury

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

And a big congrats to NewIT for doing the following

Title: Raspberry Pi donation to local College
Post by: NewIT_Jason on 19 September 2012, 02:15:36 pm
Following the principles behind the Raspberry Pi Foundation, New IT Limited has donated 20 Raspberry Pi’s and accessories to the computing department at The College of West Anglia which is based in Kings Lynn.
Details of the story can be found on the college website here (http://www.cwa.ac.uk/blog/?p=921).

So why did we pick The College of West Anglia? It seemed the logical choice for us, they are just a few miles away and all of our staff graduated from there.

We are looking at ways to donate more units to schools and college’s and details of how this will be done will follow soon.

cjthebrave

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm

WAIT UP !!! WHAT'S THIS ??
Just received e-mail (21:37) :-

"You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/09/2012 using our Express 24 service"

Now I accept that there is only just over 2hrs of the 27th left here in UK, but you never know. . . . . .
The parcel certainly isn't in Parcelforces' posession yet, but one can only hope eh!!

You never know guys and gals, we might be on the verge of RS managing to make up the 'missing' orders and ship them out. - NOT BEFORE TIME.

Only one small grumble - the e-mail is from Parcelforce, not RS, who I would have expected to have advised me as part of their customer care process of the release of my delayed order. Hi-Ho - it's the last order they ever get off me anyway so what difference does it make?

mrbus

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am

:twisted: I ordered my raspberry pi on Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 09:26 PM

so far to my request for information on the shipment by RS I had no reply

I have received my package this week

very bad.....not a good trader RS :evil:

RaTTuS

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 am

cjthebrave wrote:WAIT UP !!! WHAT'S THIS ??
Just received e-mail (21:37) :-

"You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/09/2012 using our Express 24 service"

Now I accept that there is only just over 2hrs of the 27th left here in UK, but you never know. . . . . .
The parcel certainly isn't in Parcelforces' posession yet, but one can only hope eh!!

You never know guys and gals, we might be on the verge of RS managing to make up the 'missing' orders and ship them out. - NOT BEFORE TIME.

Only one small grumble - the e-mail is from Parcelforce, not RS, who I would have expected to have advised me as part of their customer care process of the release of my delayed order. Hi-Ho - it's the last order they ever get off me anyway so what difference does it make?
well parcelfarce are not called that for no reason ....
may the RPi be with you
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ferrymanr

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 am

Parcelforce delivered at 11:02 this morning 28/9/2012 - about 16 hours after the message below. Looks like it is a Rev 1 board as no mounting holes but not tested yet.
Richard.
ferrymanr wrote:Just received this from RS:-
>>>>>>>>>>
You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/09/2012 using our Express 24 service. The tracking reference number is xxxxxxxx
<<<<<<<<<<
My order number was 825xx of 20/6/2012.
Seems things are moving now although it does say "due to be despatched" not "has been despatched".
Wonder if I will also get some bauble as a free gift like the Chinese sellers on eBay do :-)
Richard

jamesh

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 am

sgegreen wrote:Seems that RS shipped to Maplin, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 84#p182384 for jamesh's mention of pink boxes.
Good grief - what an assumption to make! Just because Maplin box is the same colour as the RS box you make the link that RS supplied Maplin? Stunning!

In fact, the Maplin box contains a Raspi, a mouse, a keyboard, a wireless dongle, a power supply and cables. And is pink. So very unlikely to be that really rather small pink box that RS supply in.

Raspberries are pink - it seems a logical idea that the box would be....whoever supplies it.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

dumbfounded

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:47 am

Wow you keep defending RS James. Are you sure that RS did not supply maplins?

jamesh

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:58 am

I'm not defending anyone, just supplying some facts, and I also didn't say whether RS supplied Maplin or not because I don't know. My point was that I said the Maplin box was pink, and because of that some people made an incredible leap of imagination and assumed I mean the box that RS supplied Pi's come in. That is NOT the case.

Cotard

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

jamesh wrote:people made an incredible leap of imagination
If we had information would not have that problem.

Pi-Scan

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Posting a picture says more than a thousand words!

Return to “General discussion”