hippy

Re: Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:34 pm

rmwebs wrote:The foundation MUST make a formal comment ... I can only hope that the foundation pulls the license to RS as they clearly cant and wont cope.
I expect it's far from that simple in reality. Business relationships rather constrain what can be said and done and I doubt we'll hear more than we have unless RS choose to provide that.

I don't think anyone is at all happy with the situation and I'd venture that applies even within RS itself. The only winners are Farnell who can take satisfaction in having bettered RS, and customer who chose to go with Farnell. I don't think the Foundation or anyone expected it to go as it has with RS and it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for everyone who expected better.

dfrimmel

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 am

Excuse me for a little off, but since my RPi will be delivered in I hope October (who knows these days what else can happen), will RS send me rev2 RPi or first one? Does anyone have this info? Thanks
4 months for 256MB RPi ...
maybe 8 months for 128MB RPi who knows...
Thanks RS.

mikey242

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 am

dfrimmel wrote:Excuse me for a little off, but since my RPi will be delivered in I hope October (who knows these days what else can happen), will RS send me rev2 RPi or first one? Does anyone have this info? Thanks
I would also like to know this. Thanks!

Burngate

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:14 pm

From So: who's got a rev2 board?
liz wrote:I've spoken with RS (and yes, the problem is supply of processor chips for the quarter from Broadcom - they ordered a certain number and didn't have enough, then weren't able to get any more because all the quarter's quota had gone by then) - if you are currently waiting for a board, you will definitely receive a Rev2 board when it's finally delivered.

pacmariner

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I never got any such emails and I am still waiting for RS to notify me of my pending shipment.... this is the absolute worst from any company I have ever dealt with, I will never order anything from them again nor will I ever recommend them to anyone, PERIOD!

denzil

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:49 pm

the way rs ( Rubbish Service ) is going im looking forward to my rev 7 board sometime in 2016 followed by the case in late 2020 (if i am lucky)

denzil

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

liz .
if rs didnt have the chips to complete the orders why did it take them so long to inform everyone.
there is no way on this planet they only found out on the shipping day .

how about asking rs a few questions we would all like to know like when did they know they didnt have
the stock to complete the orders , why they waited so long to tell us, and why do they think they can treat
us all like idiots ! and why do they constantly lie about refund times !
i know you dont work for rs but come on help us out here .

denzil

Pi-Scan

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 pm

I agree, they could have known when we ordered that they did not have enough chips. You know what you have in stock right?

Even though, they accepted our payment in the hope we would not find out what a fishy plot this is...

Also, if they don't have the chips by now, they'll probably won't make the 5 week delay. (+3 weeks?)

Also, why did they accept bulk orders since they allready knew they would not have enough chips to make the single orders complete?
(and why did some bulk orders allready get sent out?)

Honesty will keep you your customers RS!

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Pi-Scan wrote:I agree, they could have known when we ordered that they did not have enough chips. You know what you have in stock right?
I'm dubious that RS *ever* had Pis "in stock". From the way things have gone, I think RS was shipping them out as fast as they got them in.
Also, if they don't have the chips by now, they'll probably won't make the 5 week delay. (+3 weeks?)
Given that they'd've been looking at a looming chip shortage sometime last month--before they sent out the e-mails and made the announcement here--figure at least two or three weeks in front of the times you're looking at, so 3 weeks from now isn't out of the question.
Also, why did they accept bulk orders since they allready knew they would not have enough chips to make the single orders complete?
Who knows? Perhaps their projections in early July (when bulk orders were opened up) they thought they had enough supplies lined up. They may have made market projections that looked like the initial rush was over and there would be enough Pis to meet larger orders....and once having accepted bulk orders they discovered that they'd seriously underestimated the true demand. Companies do make honest mistakes...every corporate foob can't be attributed some conspiracy theory or other.
(and why did some bulk orders allready get sent out?)
Aside from the--now admitted--errors that missed a couple of blocks of orders (maybe that's why the underestimated demand...), they appear to be handling--or, at least, trying to handle--orders in the sequence in which they are received.

I have to say that it worked for me. after the initial "once only" period, I placed an order through RS' US subsidiary, Allied, for 2 Pis and received them (Rev. 1, Vers. 0002) in due course before the original estimated ship date. (The same has occurred with my most orders to Newark, Farnell's US subsidiary. They ship before the order estimated date...won't know what board version I get for a couple of days yet, but because of one reported receipt with a similar shipping date, I'm expecting them to be ECN 0003 boards.)
Honesty will keep you your customers RS!
I haven't found RS to be less than honest. Confused. Uncommunicative. Not very successful at forecasting demand (for *cases* as well as for Pis...still waiting on a case order from July...which should be unaffected by the SoC shortage), but no honesty issues.

Now for what I do wonder about, with regard to both RS and Farnell... Some time back a knowledgeable poster described the general cycle of chip foundries. The point was made that Spring and early Summer are a *relatively* slack period for them. Starting with late Summer and into the Fall, the foundries are busy making chips for the Christmas selling season manufacturing ramp up and that this would like impact the ability to order more BCM2835 chips unless scheduled well in advance. So it becomes a question...have RS and/or Farnell planned well enough ahead to avoid another chip shortage manufacturing bottleneck for the roughly December to March demand? Especially in light of the forthcoming Model "A"?

JustPat

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am

Ok, I have a question. I want to cancel an order with Allied. I saw the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13654
but will that work if I put in an Allied order number? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

dfrimmel

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:39 am

denzil wrote:the way rs ( Rubbish Service ) is going im looking forward to my rev 7 board sometime in 2016 followed by the case in late 2020 (if i am lucky)
Possibly, dont know should I act like this :evil: or :D dont like when someone like RS makes me an idiot and I paid them instantly and they regularly charge my credit card. I decided to wait for next 4 weeks that I have left to dispatch, becuase I cant afford to pay two RPi at same time. Cant wait for start of next month just to see what will be then.
Thanks RS.

denzil

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 am

pi scan wrote :

"Honesty will keep you your customers RS!"

not me mate ,far too late for that , rs (Realy Suck) will never see another penny of my or my companys money .there is nothing they sell that i need that i cant get quicker and cheaper elsewhere .

Burngate

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am

Pi-Scan wrote:I agree, they could have known when we ordered that they did not have enough chips. You know what you have in stock right?
Not necessarily.

RS ordered from a factory, the factory ordered the chips.
The factory didn't tell RS they couldn't fulfill the order until they'd run out of chips.

Maybe.

dfrimmel

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Yeah, right, one big maybe if they comunicate via pigeons and smoke signals :mrgreen:
Thanks RS.

simonpi

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Like so many others I was fed up with the RS delay; I was now being given expected shipping date of mid November from July 4th order.Thought I'd take the plunge and cancel with RS and switch to Farnell.

Friday Sept 7th 14:04 Cancelled with RS
Friday Sept 7th 14:14 Ordered with Farnell

Tuesday Sept 11th 13:48 Refund received from RS
Tuesday Sept 11th 13:55 Pi shipped by Farnell

Now I'm very happy! Can't wait for it to arrive :)

denzil

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Burngate wrote:
Not necessarily.

RS ordered from a factory, the factory ordered the chips.
The factory didn't tell RS they couldn't fulfill the order until they'd run out of chips.

Maybe.
or maybe a ufo came down and stole all the chips and placed rs in a time vortex so they were unable to
inform us of the problem untill the day before shipping and while they were at it they abducted all there so called "customer service department" and infected there "refund" program with some alien virus ( maybe in revenge for independance day !!!) to stop people getting refunds from rs .

maybe just maybe !!!

mikey242

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm

simonpi wrote:Like so many others I was fed up with the RS delay; I was now being given expected shipping date of mid November from July 4th order.Thought I'd take the plunge and cancel with RS and switch to Farnell.

Friday Sept 7th 14:04 Cancelled with RS
Friday Sept 7th 14:14 Ordered with Farnell

Tuesday Sept 11th 13:48 Refund received from RS
Tuesday Sept 11th 13:55 Pi shipped by Farnell

Now I'm very happy! Can't wait for it to arrive :)
Just cancelled my order now too, fed up of waiting for RS (I ordered in June). Very bad experience with RS overall.

hfam

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm

iscroman wrote:Hi, I already received my refund. On September 03. week after the cancellation.

Send an email to:

S ha r o n.G l en @ r s - co m p o ne n ts . co m (without spaces).

Asking for your refund.

Regards.

This was the ticket and I got my PayPal refund issued to me the very next day (today)!
Thank you very much for the information! (BTW: sent the request for refund yesterday, worded nicely but firmly.. Got an out of office indication that she was out on vacation until the 17th, but the refund was issued today nonetheless)

Background: order # 83xxx, ordered in June, 9 week shipping estimate according to the order confirmation. Nothing since from them. Sent many emails to @rswww.com that went unanswered. Sent the email to Ms. Glen yesterday and got a PayPal notification that my order was refunded. Nothing else though in the way of an explanation, etc, but at this point I don't care, I'm just glad I got resolution!

Also, props to the person who mentioned "msmelectronics.com". I indeed went there and placed an order for the raspberry pi "bundle", and IT SHIPPED NEXT DAY!! Thank you very much for that tip as well.

So win on both counts, my pi is on the way, and I got my money back from RS (who had benefit of it for over 10 weeks, interest free).

Thanks to all in this forum, without whom I would have been still sitting about waiting for my product to never ship from RS.

All that said, I'm glad Ms. Glen (or whomever is covering for her in her absence) promptly returned my money in full, but I would never purchase anything from RS again. Ever. Never. Not a thing. They will never see another penny of my money.

Leaving paid customers in limbo for that long is a public relations fiasco and extremely bad business. As others have said, a simple unsolicited email from them with an explanation and an apology would have been sufficient for most. As they chose to just ignore people, pretend there wasn't an issue, and that they skipped over 20,000 PAID orders without so much as a blink of an eye...well...that's simply unforgivable.

Thanks again to all of you in this forum, particularly to those for the "Ms Glen." info and the "mcmelectronics.com" info, and looking forward to my pi arriving in a few days!

fusca

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm on the same boat... HELP!

* Ordered RaspPi and case on 22 Jun.
* Order #95xxx
* Shipping country: Brazil

How can I proceed to cancel this order and take my money back?

Thank you.

hfam

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm

BTW: For anyone who's wondering if RS is showing up and looking at the forums, I happened to look at the bottom of the page (the "Who is online"), and captured this to my clipboard this morning when I placed my post above: