adlambert

Uncased circuit board computers

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Imagine if somebody produced a computer as an exposed circuit board?

Where might it lead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18456746

max1zzz

Re: Uncased circuit board computers

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm

wouldn't it be good if in 30 or so years we could all sell our pi's for £240K ;)

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: Uncased circuit board computers

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:37 am

max1zzz wrote:wouldn't it be good if in 30 or so years we could all sell our pi's for £240K ;)
Since hundreds of thousands, perhaps eventually millions of Pi boards are being built, all but a couple of hundred would have to be destroyed before the surviving boards could even begin to approach Apple I value. You first, of course, since I'm such a nice guy :D

The already-auctioned Pi beta boards, plus the ~100 in the field, and the even-more-rare alphas (-10?) will likely be the only ones to ever escape landfill value.

Then, there's the posthumous Steve Jobs worship factor that's about twice what the adulation factor was worth when he was alive, which I'm guessing Eben won't be interested in replicating anytime soon (Liz would have to indicate her preference, of course ;) ).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”